U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 71,924 times

Advertisements

Looking for affordable land/cabin outside of the ski towns of Blowing Rock/Boone by 15-20 minutes or so. Don't need amenities; want to be in the woods. Any suggestions of where we should start?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM

45,242 posts, read 96,351,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnzkid View Post
Looking for affordable land/cabin outside of the ski towns of Blowing Rock/Boone by 15-20 minutes or so. Don't need amenities; want to be in the woods. Any suggestions of where we should start?
"Affordable" and Blowing Rock or Boone do not always go hand in hand.

What do you consider affordable?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 71,924 times
Oh I know that. That is why I thought if we got out into the outskirts a bit, the prices would go down.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Oh I know that. That is why I thought if we got out into the outskirts a bit, the prices would go down.
Again, what do YOU consider affordable?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM

7 posts, read 15,375 times
Quote:
Blowing Rock/ Boone is some of the most overpriced land on earth IMO.

Creston near the Tennessee border or the West Jefferson area might be a better place to buy but it will be more than a 20 minute drive to Boone.

South on #321 below Blowing Rock going toward Lenoir is cheaper .

Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 PM

1,910 posts, read 3,033,543 times
I was reading the High Country Real Estate magazine today and saw a 1 bedroom cabin for sale in Linville Falls for $59,000!!!! Look on Realtor...com, they are out there!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 PM

510 posts, read 1,280,530 times
Quote:
From the experiences I have heard from others, you may want to look to the "outskirts" just across the Tennessee line in the Johnson County (Mountain City) area. Just search under 37683 or 37680 on any of the national real estate search engines. One big difference (in addition to lower land prices) in crossing the border is Tennessee has no income tax on earned income nor personal property taxes similar to those in VA or NC. The Tennessee sales taxes are amoung the highest in the nation but Johnson County has the lowest in the state at 8.5% (most counties are 9.5 or 9.75). Due to the unique location of Johnson County with borders on Washington County, Virginia and Ashe/Watagua Counties, NC, much of the shopping by Tennessee residents there is done in Boone, NC or Abingdon/Bristol, VA where the sales taxes are much lower. I think this situation has much to do with the relatively under-developed retail market in Johnson County.

Land prices surged in Johnson County when the 8,000+ acre development of "Daniel's Trace" (as in Daniel Boone, I suppose) was announced by New Horizons Development. Their announcement said they would be offering multi-acre executive home sites starting at $500,000 and up. That was just before 2007. New Horizons has apparently been having problems with various developments due to the economic blight so I think many folks are getting a bit discouraged in the land speculation business here. Prices of mountain land had been up around $10K per acre on land that ten years ago would have only brought $2K per acre. I think asking prices will now be based more on the worthy attributes of the properties with the range of 3K to 10K per acre.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim37680 View Post
From the experiences I have heard from others, you may want to look to the "outskirts" just across the Tennessee line in the Johnson County (Mountain City) area. Just search under 37683 or 37680 on any of the national real estate search engines. One big difference (in addition to lower land prices) in crossing the border is Tennessee has no income tax on earned income nor personal property taxes similar to those in VA or NC. The Tennessee sales taxes are amoung the highest in the nation but Johnson County has the lowest in the state at 8.5% (most counties are 9.5 or 9.75). Due to the unique location of Johnson County with borders on Washington County, Virginia and Ashe/Watagua Counties, NC, much of the shopping by Tennessee residents there is done in Boone, NC or Abingdon/Bristol, VA where the sales taxes are much lower. I think this situation has much to do with the relatively under-developed retail market in Johnson County.

Land prices surged in Johnson County when the 8,000+ acre development of "Daniel's Trace" (as in Daniel Boone, I suppose) was announced by New Horizons Development. Their announcement said they would be offering multi-acre executive home sites starting at $500,000 and up. That was just before 2007. New Horizons has apparently been having problems with various developments due to the economic blight so I think many folks are getting a bit discouraged in the land speculation business here. Prices of mountain land had been up around $10K per acre on land that ten years ago would have only brought $2K per acre. I think asking prices will now be based more on the worthy attributes of the properties with the range of 3K to 10K per acre.
I was going to suggest he look closer to Mountain City, TN (up hwy 421 from Boone), though he'll have to travel much further than "15 of 20 minutes" like he wanted.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 PM

510 posts, read 1,280,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I was going to suggest he look closer to Mountain City, TN (up hwy 421 from Boone), though he'll have to travel much further than "15 of 20 minutes" like he wanted.
Getting close to the ski resorts (15-20 minutes) requires deep pockets in Watagua and Avery for the most part. There may be more moderately priced property west of Beech Mountain in that area between 421 and 19E in both NC and TN. If being within 15-20 minutes of Boone and Blowing Rock is the main objective then that won't work either.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:32 PM

I would also suggest looking more towards Wilkesboro. In particular, there's a place about 18 miles out of Boone going toward Wilkesboro called "Buck Mountian". Depending on what the OP believes "affordable" to be, this might work. Here is an old thread about it:

Jade Mountain,Buck Mountain, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina