Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,619 times

Advertisements

How was it? Is there anything that I and the little one (2 year old) can do while the other adults tube? Is there an area I can play w/ him in the snow or anything or bring a sled and pull him around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,597 times
I was there a couple of weekends ago and there didn't appear to be anywhere outside where you could play and not be part of the tubing runs. I must say that I was disappointed with the setup. I thought it would be tubing runs on what used to be a small ski slope when in reality this setup could have been done in virtually any neighborhood or golf course. There is very little verticle drop on the tubing runs, despite the fact that it is up in the mountains.

It was fun, but barely better than sledding on your own. There is a "moving carpet" treadmill-type of system so you don't have to walk back up the hill after each run. The fact that you can stand on a treadmill device and easily get transported up the hill should tell you all you need to know about the length and verticle drop of the runs. The altitude of the mountains only appears to give a nice backdrop and a better weather pattern for making manmade snow. The employees were nice, and all, but it wasn't as fun as I was expecting.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:12 PM

451 posts, read 1,564,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
How was it? Is there anything that I and the little one (2 year old) can do while the other adults tube? Is there an area I can play w/ him in the snow or anything or bring a sled and pull him around?
I think that Beech Mountain has a free place for little one's to sled. I think you can tube there too. Go on Google for Beech Mountain and it will give more info. Of course unless ya'll have already booked at the other place. Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 AM

267 posts, read 1,175,767 times
I did recently. Link to my posts about it: //www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ml#post7182120 Read my post#7.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 48,205 times
There is no place at the park your children can play in the snow if they are not tubing. We tried to take our two year old a foot inside the waiting area, well away from the massive lines, and we were forced back up onto the wooden deck. He played with shards of ice left on the picnic tables. Our other children got a grand total of 6 runs in the hour-and-forty-minute time window, due to massive overbooking and having to wait in line for well over half an hour to pick up the passes we had already bought online. On leaving, disappointed, and receiving no care from the manager/owner to our request for a partial refund (he informed us he is the "best show in town by far," and that he didn't have a responsibility to make up for the lack of actual tubing we got for our money), the kids slid the mountain on their bottoms right by where we parked and had a grand time... for free.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,883 times
My first clue should have been the very low rating most past attendees gave Hawksnest. The second clue was when I showed up and some big country bumpkin kid was swearing like a sailor telling another worker a story about "how mad he got" the night before. Loud enough for everyone to hear. I had already paid or I would have turned around then.
Horrible, expensive experience! I would try some where else. We did the 10am run. We were there before most of the crew. Meaning I didn't get my full time since they didn't open the line until 10:15! It was extremely cold and windy so off to the gift room, can't call it a gift store, it literally is a room. Very unorganized! They had someone working the cash register and someone trying to rent bibs and stuff. You better come there prepared, as I heard an employee tell another customer! I spent 30 minutes of my 1-1/2 hr session in a line trying to buy something. Once outside it wasn't any better. I can mark them off the list.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Guys, looking to go up to the mountains tubing this weekend (prob Saturday) w/the youngins...

Beech Mountain looks good. Can I get some honest assestments of places to go? I know I'm going to drop around $100 for a 1 1/2 - 2hr run...I can live w/that. I just would like to know what place would be the best to go for the kids.... thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Guys, looking to go up to the mountains tubing this weekend (prob Saturday) w/the youngins...

Beech Mountain looks good. Can I get some honest assestments of places to go? I know I'm going to drop around $100 for a 1 1/2 - 2hr run...I can live w/that. I just would like to know what place would be the best to go for the kids.... thanks
You might check out Moonshine Mountain in Hendersonville. Going to be a bit warm this weekend though.

Snow tubing, Snowtubing, Tubing, Moonshine Mountain Snow Tubing Park, Hendersonville, Western North Carolina

Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
yeah, I thought about the temps warming up, but hasn't the region got a bunch of snow lately??? Conditions should still be very good, don't you think?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
yeah, I thought about the temps warming up, but hasn't the region got a bunch of snow lately??? Conditions should still be very good, don't you think?
I would think so, but a phone call ahead wouldn't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina