U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 60,426 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the Rainbow Mountain Children's School? Are there any other small, alternative elementary schools in or near Asheville that anyone would reccomend? Thanks for all the great comments on this post! I have learned so much in the few days I've been reading!
Cheers
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 27,674 times
Hi,

My two girls go to Rainbow Mountain and I can't say enough good things about the school! We are entering our third year with my youngest in her second year of preschool and my oldest in 3rd grade. The classes are small, the teachers are world class (many have masters degrees and have distinguished themselves in community service). The curriculum is holistic, experiential, project-based and the children LOVE to learn. What a difference from our brief public school experience. The school is spiritual in a global, multi-faith, eco-minded sense, so all faiths are welcome, and mindfulness, personal responsibility and deep respect for life are interwoven throughout the curriculum. Each day starts with centering and learning how to participate in community is stressed. If you would like more info, check out the school's website at Welcome to Rainbow Mountain and don't hesitate to call for a campus tour. Namaste, Jennifer

Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM

413 posts, read 2,480,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferm View Post
Hi,

My two girls go to Rainbow Mountain and I can't say enough good things about the school! We are entering our third year with my youngest in her second year of preschool and my oldest in 3rd grade. The classes are small, the teachers are world class (many have masters degrees and have distinguished themselves in community service). The curriculum is holistic, experiential, project-based and the children LOVE to learn. What a difference from our brief public school experience. The school is spiritual in a global, multi-faith, eco-minded sense, so all faiths are welcome, and mindfulness, personal responsibility and deep respect for life are interwoven throughout the curriculum. Each day starts with centering and learning how to participate in community is stressed. If you would like more info, check out the school's website at Welcome to Rainbow Mountain and don't hesitate to call for a campus tour. Namaste, Jennifer

Yuck that's why I prefer South Carolina to North Carolina. Asheville area just makes me sad.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,630,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferm View Post
Hi,

It sounds wonderful.Is it only for lower grades? Anything for 5th grade and older? I do hope this is the wave of the future and there will be more schools with this loving,open and mulit faith mentality.Our schools in the US are falling apart in many areas

Old 06-25-2007, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 17,246 times
Default Rainbow Rocks!

My kids both go to RMCS and I can't tell you how good it feels when they both want to go to school in the morning and want to stay in after school! It is often difficult to pry them away from the school even after they have been there all day long!

What I find the most endearing thing about RMCS is the community members... The friends we have gained as adults are fantastic!

Both of my kids have friends in virtually every class... That's saying something when you consider they are K and 2nd! And we get emails from the teachers even during the summer, just checking on the kids.

It is a great school to say the least.

-Toby

Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Rainbow serves preK through 8th grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
It sounds wonderful.Is it only for lower grades? Anything for 5th grade and older? I do hope this is the wave of the future and there will be more schools with this loving,open and mulit faith mentality.Our schools in the US are falling apart in many areas
Rainbow does have an upper grades program that is quite unique. The Omega Program is a 6–8 program. Kids divide up according to developmental abilities in subjects such as math and language arts, and learn together in subjects such as social studies, art, music, physical education, environmental/service learning, etc. They have another unique program feature called Gender Mysteries and Mysteries Council where these young men and women learn what it means to be men and women by studying archetypal gender roles (such as Greek myths, multicultural traditions), exploring contemporary themes and pressures and inviting personal reflection on the sometimes challenging aspects of growing up.

Recently RMCS middle schoolers participated in an exciting pilot program put together by an RMCS teacher who has created EarthVoyage, a nonprofit teaching organization that uses Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion map to help kids viscerally experience the distribution of global resources. RMCS students helped create kinesthetic games to be used in conjunction with the gymnasium-sized map. RMCS middle schoolers also recently took 1st and 3rd place in the Clean Air Community Trust's Air Quality IQ contest.

In their spare time, Omega kids worked with the Full Belly Project to build two peanut shellers to send to third world countries (whose economy and food supply depends largely on peanuts).

I am not saddened by Asheville or progressive, holistic education like RMCS—I am encouraged by it. I truly believe our children's and grandchildren's futures depends on the conscious and compassionate living that is valued here. Namaste, jennifer

Old 06-26-2007, 07:21 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,630,280 times
It sounds wonderful,I will check it out.We were not made aware of this on our many visits to Asheville,but told of Carolina day school($$$) or "Christ school" for boys.Thanks for the info,Namaste,Annie

Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 AM

annie,

RMCS is about half the cost of Carolina Day School. Hope you do check RMCS out, I think you will be glad you did.

namaste, jennifer

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,570 times
I highly reccomend checking onto Odyssey Community School. It was founded by an original Rainbow Mountain founder, and still has the core vision. You may also want to consider other local religious and non-religious schools that abound in Asheville. Many are more affordable and have stronger academics.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM

291 posts, read 1,141,477 times
I know a lot of fellow homeschoolers that go to odyssey for classes.

There is also Evergreen charter school and ArtSpace charter school in Black Mountain that are both supposed to be really good and a great alternative to public school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina