Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM

49 posts, read 88,101 times

Advertisements

Okay. To any and all who are debating whether to relocate to Wichita -- pay attention to the crime statistics. Consider the East side realistically -- I was robbed while parked in my apartment complex parking lot. Not while parked in the parking lot at work -- which was directly across from the county detention facility. Just FYI

I was not praising Wichita for an enlightened attitude toward gays, BTW. My reasons for moving to Wichita were very much tied up in looking for as low a crime rate as possible and I expected high moral standards as well. The responsibility for this mistake is entirely MINE.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,909,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyzodd View Post
Okay. To any and all who are debating whether to relocate to Wichita -- pay attention to the crime statistics. Consider the East side realistically -- I was robbed while parked in my apartment complex parking lot. Not while parked in the parking lot at work -- which was directly across from the county detention facility. Just FYI

I was not praising Wichita for an enlightened attitude toward gays, BTW. My reasons for moving to Wichita were very much tied up in looking for as low a crime rate as possible and I expected high moral standards as well. The responsibility for this mistake is entirely MINE.
Crime rates are all relative. A tiny, rural town is going to have an almost non existent crime rate along with no jobs, shopping, etc. Wichita's crime rate is average to below average when compared to similar sized cities in the same region. If you want to live in an urban/suburban environment, you are going to have to deal with some crime.

I am not sure what you mean regarding the expectation of high moral standards. If you thought that Wichita tends to lean heavily towards bible thumping conservative nutbaggery and therefore would have less crime, then as you discovered that was a big mistake.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM

I had more mistaken ideas than that even --- all corrected now. My parents were Kansans. I should have figured that if they left and never came back, there were good reasons.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,909,533 times
Quote:
I had more mistaken ideas than that even --- all corrected now. My parents were Kansans. I should have figured that if they left and never came back, there were good reasons.
A lot of people have left Kansas for many very good reasons. Once you get past the rainbows and lollipops rhetoric you see on these forums, you find that Kansas overall has some very serious flaws and unless circumstances have forced you to live here, the state has very little to offer. This is particularly true for Wichita, it is a city that very few would willingly choose to call home, but many people feel they are stuck due to finances or family ties. The people that tell you tales of the pie in the sky greatness of the Wichita area should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:36 AM

25,788 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Yeah, when we moved to the Tucson, AZ area, we found out that crime, because of the overwhelming number of them, wasn't considered that big of deal. We had a large newer pop-up camper pulled out of our yard in the middle of the night even with a hitch-lock in place evidently loaded onto a car carrier as you could see the marks left in the dirt across the driveway as they dragged. We were in shock. Also, someone trying to break into our car while we were home was considered "Just people looking for presents in the truck of cars this time of year." Shopping in other people car trunks, OK. Expect his to get a lot worse as unemployment and foreclosures continue and yes, I heard the recession was over in June 2009 but I don't think the word on that is out yet to those that are jobless and homeless so you might use a lot of extra security precautions even in Kansas. I can't believe that people think if they come to Kansas you can leave your doors unlocked, etc. - there is no time machine here.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
A lot of people have left Kansas for many very good reasons. Once you get past the rainbows and lollipops rhetoric you see on these forums, you find that Kansas overall has some very serious flaws and unless circumstances have forced you to live here, the state has very little to offer. This is particularly true for Wichita, it is a city that very few would willingly choose to call home, but many people feel they are stuck due to finances or family ties. The people that tell you tales of the pie in the sky greatness of the Wichita area should be ashamed of themselves.

I see that you are right. I had a sentimental and nostalgic attachment to Wichita, rooted in summer vacations with doting grandparents and hordes of cousins. Kansas mythology infused my childhood, but a thinking person would have connected the fact that my parents left and stayed gone. I don't honestly think Wichita is horrible, it is just not the right place for me -- and leaving will be no problem. For many good reasons

And, by the way, the cost of living here is NOT significantly lower than other states.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

398 posts, read 990,120 times
Now you are just whining. So you got your car burglarized. I got my apartment burglarized once, I didn't even call the cops. This was in Kansas. That's life. I have a realistic view of crime. I'm sorry your car got burglarized, but your response to it (leaving Wichita immediately, bashing Wichita repeatedly) is way overblown.

And for the record, the cost of living in Wichita is one of the lowest in the country. That is a fact. Fair Market Rent in Wichita for a 1 bedroom apartment is $487.

In Tulsa it is $582.
In Oklahoma City it is $545.
In Kansas City it is $726.
In Denver it is $728.
In Omaha it is $614.
In Chicago is is $903.
In Dallas it is $740.
In Los Angeles it is $1,137.
In New York it is $1,222.

All data courtesy: Universal Living Wage--Fair Market Rent Tables

Wichita is one of the most affordable, lowest cost of living cities in the United States. Stop spreading lies.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I've lived in Kansas 10 years now (KC suburbs) and it has been much better than expected. Schools are great, neighbors are great, commute is <15minutes, house cost me 1/2 of what it would have been in Chicago and there are tons and tons of things for me to do.

My parents in a small nice town in IL even have the occasionally robbery on their street (most certainly the meth dealing son of a neighbor that had to move back home with her a while back). Bad stuff happens everywhere.

I'm sorry you have to try to describe the whole state with such a broad brush, certainly it varies greatly from rural to urban sections etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Gad, you're all so in denial.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM

78,014 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Gad, you're all so in denial.
Content = Content + 0

Just leave, I've never even been to wichita and so honestly don't care. I was merely just addressing the blanket statements about Kansas.

Also, several people provided economic references to which you muttered and waved your hands....so if you care to discuss it then post up some facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita