Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Even if Rio De Janeiro had a population equal in size to that of Wichita, Rio would still be considered a significantly more violent city because it has a per capita murder rate of 37.7 homicides per 100,000 people.
Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compare that to Wichita which only had 10.9 homicides per 100,000 people.
//www.city-data.com/city/Wichita-Kansas.html
I don't disagree with you that Rio De Janeiro has a higher crime rate (you used homicides per 100,000 people). However, you can't say that Rio De Janeiro would be more violent if it was equal in size to Wichita just because of a crime rate. Why? Because they aren't equal in size. Therefore, logically, you can't make that correlation. Rio De Janeiro's extremely large population, as well as many other factors, affect the aforementioned crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
We have several "Ghettos" anyone living in Wichita can tell u that.
Planeview,Hilltop,Area around WSU,Areas near Downtown.
It almost sounds like you want Wichita to have ghetto and crime to justify it as a big city or something.

Believe me, you don't want that. Ask St Louis, or KCMO…

Plus, "areas near downtown" That's pretty vague. I have been all around the areas around downtown and they seem like safe enough areas.

Wichita gets a bit of a bad rap. Sure, it's in the middle of one of the least desirable states in the country . But really, it's not that bad of a city. There are many cities of similar size that are far worse than Wichita.

I will say that Wichita recently seems to have had some of the more horrific murders of innocent people. Those are the crimes that would freak me out. Not the drug deals gone bad, but the chopping up families, shooting teens in the back of the head execution style etc. There have been some pretty nasty crimes down there.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It almost sounds like you want Wichita to have ghetto and crime to justify it as a big city or something.

Plus, "areas near downtown" That's pretty vague. I have been all around the areas around downtown and they seem like safe enough areas.

Wichita gets a bit of a bad rap. Sure, it's in the middle of one of the least desirable states in the country . But really, it's not that bad of a city. There are many cities of similar size that are far worse than Wichita.

I will say that Wichita recently seems to have had some of the more horrific murders of innocent people. Those are the crimes that would freak me out. Not the drug deals gone bad, but the chopping up families, shooting teens in the back of the head execution style etc. There have been some pretty nasty crimes down there.
kcmo, what is your definition of "ghetto"?

For me, it's something akin to what Wikipedia defines it as:

Quote:
"portion of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure."
There are definitely areas and neighborhoods that fit not only this "textbook" definition of minority groups (such as those near Wichita State, or Plainview), but also areas and neighborhoods that fit the pop culture definition (involving run-down houses and crime). Typically, these two definitions match. So yes, Wichita has ghettos.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM

117 posts, read 340,665 times
My opinion: Don't move to Wichita! Lived there my whole life and finally moved outta there and outta the state. There's nothing special about Wichita or anything around it! I lived near 119th and Maple never had anything wrong with that area. Worked in Oaklawn and felt safe there too. But like others said your best bet is to stay on the outskirts of wichita.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,678 times
I lived in Plainview in the late sixties. It was bad then, I can't imagine what it must be like now. I was a young Airman with a family and the rent was approximately sixty dollars a month for a two or three bedroom duplex or triplex. As the wages for Airmen was really small at that time, Plainview was the only alternative if you wanted your family with you.

Last edited by Adrain Desaire; 02-10-2009 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: more information added

Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
[quote=kcmo;7327588]It almost sounds like you want Wichita to have ghetto and crime to justify it as a big city or something.

Wichita gets a bit of a bad rap. Sure, it's in the middle of one of the least desirable states in the country . But really, it's not that bad of a city.

Im just being honest,as far as area's downtown it would be hard for..
Me to be more specific.Its hard to define where a bad area starts,etc
Downtown has alot of drug problems and bad elements.
Sure theres college hill and riverside but...
Wichita isnt Detroit by any means.
Planeview and most of Oaklawn were supposed to be temp housing..
For aircraft workers,etc i was told.
There seems to be working poor & upper middle class majority in..
Wichita the middle class mostly lives in suburbs.
This is probably the case for most cities but in Wichita it really stands out.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 PM
ME`

3 posts, read 31,912 times
Default Thank you for leaving my city

A bigger problem than crime in Wichita is people who don't know how to mind their own damn business. I hate how nosy people can be in wichita. Who cares about "drug crimes"? Those are nonviolent, victimless crimes, and the only reason they affect you is because you're worried about what someone else is doing. I don't care if some junkie wants to rot his life away. It doesn't threaten my happiness or safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bettes View Post
I live in Oaklawn (South side of 47th) and work at 21st North and Tyler. It takes me about 20 min to drive with having the West side loop, so that's not too bad. I've lived in Kansas City Mo, Little Rock Ar, and Frankfurt Germany. It is true that Wichita doesn't have the crime rate of those cities, but for as small as it is, it does have more than it's share of crime. The map posted was just for violent crimes, doesn't include property crimes, auto theft (non carjacking), or drug related crimes.

I haven't seen armed gangs roaming the streets, but I was at towne east a few months ago, and saw 2 guys (appeared to be a Blood and a Crip because of the "colors") pull guns right inside the mall. Luckily security tased both of them before they opened fire. Yes, having security there saved it from being very nasty, but I'm planning to move out of Wichita as soon as I can.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
ME`

The problem with Wichita is it's a city that thinks it's a small town. When we're faced with a little bit of the problems that big cities like Detroit or Indianapolis face on a much larger scale, the people of Wichita freak out and don't know what to do, cause they're so used to walking around on the street feeling safe most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Even when I lived there they had lots of trouble. The management of the mall was going to ban the city bus from stopping there at one time but backed off after the Eagle got whiff of the plan and put up a stink.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
ME`

you're a moron. wichita has one of, if not the best real estate markets in the country. in 2007, it was #1 for real estate. I just moved back here from Indiana, where there was no real estate market and therefore no work. Wichita kicks ass dude

Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,602 times
living in wichita is good if you can deal with the long term pyschological effects [email]heightman@hotmail.com[/email]
bull**** you ignoramous bread egalitarian dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita