Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:43 AM

30 posts, read 122,241 times

Advertisements

Viperfangs 2 is correct when he says, "Crap Hole".

The city government is helpless in regards to city planning and zoning. For example the streets in Wichita are mess. Some of these streets don't connect to other streets correctly. Some of the streets, especially on the east side of Wichita are designed for three cars. But they are so narrow you can only get two of them to fit.

Another example of Poor planning is of course the "Kellogg Situation". Kellogg is the busiest road in Wichita. It connects east and west together. It also connects people outside of Wichita to the city. But the problem is that they have been working on this road for fifteen yrs. All of the business's that have developed along this road are now having to move. They are having to move so they can make this road wider. But if proper planning had taken place years ago then this never would have happened.

But thats how things get done in Wichita. Build it, tear it up, rebuild it, then build somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 01:25 AM

22 posts, read 70,345 times
Default Enlightened & enjoyin KS

<Viperfangs 2 is correct when he says, "Crap Hole".>
Granted, Wichitans have an inferiority complex; it's "cool" to put down the city, leave...we won't miss ya.

<For example the streets in Wichita are mess.>
You've GOT to be joking! People complain here if they wait at a light for more than 30 seconds!!! I was born and raised just outside Wash D.C.; when I go back I'm reminded of the reason I stayed away!!! Traffic is a BREEZE here! We actually spend more on roads than we probably should...but that's the standard Kansans have come to epect.

<Another example of Poor planning is of course the "Kellogg Situation".>
I'd say the "Kellogg Situation" has gotten better BECAUSE of good planning; it's becoming a quick flyover from East to West; NONE of the businesses are having to move...only a Catholic Church and a few old homes.

All in all: Positives - GREAT affordability, you can't beat a new home price here per s.f. vs ANYWHERE in the nation...I know real estate...it's a FACT (one the city has yet to sell effectively); GREAT schools in the suburbs and a relaxed way of life. Negatives - Distinct 4 seasons (some call that a positive), and an over dependence on aircraft industry (though it's getting more diverse).
w

Old 01-18-2007, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,067 times
Default Stay AWAY

I moved to Kansas about 6mns. ago to be with my fiance/now-husband. I grew up in rural Ohio, went to college in Cambridge, MA, traveled all around the world and taught in Brownsville, TX. So trust me when I say that Wichita is A BLACKHOLD OF MISERY AND DEPREVATION.

This place is so incredibly narrow-minded and racist that simply looking at most Wichitans makes me want to puke. I'm serious. I'm Hispanic and my husband (who is white) is CONSTANTLY getting comments about my ethnic heritage and whether I'm legal. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT? What kind of backward-ass society asks focuses on a harvard graduates ethnic background and legal status when there are SO MANY OTHER THINGS TO TALK ABOUT? Someone on this panel said that Kansas is like Calif. in the 1950s and I'd say she's right: in the 1950s CA had just gone through brutal attacks on the Mexican-American community (Zoot Suit Riots) and still allowed segregation of black and Hispanic children (which would later be overturned by Menedez v. Westminster). It hasn't been until recently that societal (versus legal) racism has toned down in CA.

SO, I would say that Wichita is the same racist place that CA was in the 1950s without any hope of the progressive changes that were to come. So, basically, DON'T MOVE BACK.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:01 PM

188 posts, read 933,984 times
I live in Wichita and have for most of my life, but I have lived in seven other states over the course of time as well. Spent two years in Phoenix, so I know what it's like to live in a larger city. So I have to say that, yes, Wichita is conservative and basically family centered, but not completely so. I started out relatively conservative and am now quite liberal and know others like me. I wouldn't call this place a black hole by any means. It's not a great center of culture but it's an OK place to live. My daughter is gay and she didn't encounter any problems. She moved to Colorado because she loves the mountains, not because she was fleeing Wichita. I am leaving to be closer to her and to the mountains, but not because I want to leave here particularly.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:42 AM

277 posts, read 1,299,132 times
Wow a lot of opinions here. I'm sad to hear that Wichita is.. well, isn't more progressive. Another big mistake I think they are making is letting their downtown core die. Kansas City did that too. Now you have huge suburbs of isolated people who live and work there but who have never been downtown and don't even want to go because they find it 'scary'

Isolation breeds racism, among other things.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 24,702 times
Default So many are right...

The different views are all right...

I live in D.C right now, before was Wichita (4 years), Florida, VA, Guam, MD, DE, ...etc...

Wichita is affordable, easy to maneuver, laid back and people are easy to get along with. You can have a blast hanging out, and believe it or not you can really fill your time dong things.

Kellogg is a Cluster .... but it is nothing in comparison to any other city. Wichitans do not know traffic, believe me. I used to laugh when people would complain. The people are really nice and easy to talk to...if you can break into there "cliques", meaning if you are not from there you are an outsider. AND, there is a lot of racism...openly transpiring. I was shocked many times. Then there are the thugs...wannabees are sometimes the scariest, because the believe they have something to prove.

After all that is said...I actually realy liked Wichita, it was laid back and relaxing...though I love my city life too. Good Luck

Old 05-19-2007, 01:47 AM

30 posts, read 242,551 times
I've lived in Kansas City, Mo., Frankfurt Germany, Little Rock, Ar. and now Wichita. The Kellogg situation is better than it was before the flyover, and the 135/235 belt can get you away from what problems it does still have (few in my opinion). Anyone who's driven in Little Rock knows how bad the highways there are. The former mayor and city council did their best to try to run all "adult" business out of town, so I do tend to agree with the "narow minded" comment. Racial tensions are on the rise in the US in general the past few years it seems, and anyone Hispanic seems to be getting unfairly targeted. I worked for a woman who's family came from Mexico 3 generations (4 now with her kids), and she just laughs it off. The assistant manager there is gay (which doesn't bother me either), and the staff in general are a mix of almost every origin that's in Wichita. If you think Wichita is that backwords, you should see the small town I grew up in (or should have seen it before the EF-5 wiped it away the 4th of this month) Greensburg. 97% White 3% other. I didn't meet anyone non-white untill I joined the military, except for the one Hispanic man they let in to drive the trash truck, and one Hispanic family that moved in shortly before I graduated high school. After the son of that family became a football star for the team, they were accepted finally. Even with that sheltered upbringing, I definatly don't consider myself prejudiced. Wichita is the largest city in Kansas (city, not metro area),and had been 50th largest in the nation untill recently.

Once my hometown gets re-established (I'm really hoping it does anyway), I plan on moving my family there. It had been a bit backwords, but hopefully when they rebuild, they'll do it right. I would like to see a bit of ethnic diversity, and modern construction happen there. Admittedly Greensburg had it's problems, but I'm ready to move back to a "small" town. Who knows how many of the 1400 residents will stay/come back. Depends on if Dillons rebuilds the store. Without a grocery store in the county, things will be that much tougher.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 PM

35 posts, read 101,713 times
Default Diversity in Wichita

I have lived here off and on 11 yrs. Moving from Northern Calif. was a BIG change. At first I was very alarmed at what I had heard of the place.For me either Im just lucky or Wichita has some diversity. I have about 10 great people here that Ive been friends with since moving here. Its a very diverse group! some very religious, some even atheist and some are somewhere in between.There is also a surprising amount of diversity within cultures I have known people here from White, black, hispanic, native american, arabian, asian,indian and others who are perfectly fine here in Wichita.The majority of people really dont seem to care, but then you do have a few select rural types of people who tend to be VERY prejudiced.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 16,399 times
Just don't leave anything out in the yard you cherish and keep all your doors and windows locked.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 AM

203 posts, read 852,862 times
Oxymoron: Open-minded Wichitans

I was born and raised there until the age of 16. Moved to NY. We decided to leave the rat race of NY and move back to Wichita 2 years ago. We lasted 8 months....we're back in NY. I felt like I had just stepped back in time about 50 years. Wichita is a dead and decaying city. When the downtown area looks like a ghost town in the middle of the work week...that's a big clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita