Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:21 PM

242 posts, read 1,001,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Here, far away from Wichita. Thanks God.
Where is here? Don't worry, I'm not going to come knocking on your door. You mentioned living in Wichita 1982-1985 & it sucked back then 30 years ago, probably sucks worse now. Just interested in knowing where did you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM

439 posts, read 521,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
Where is here? Don't worry, I'm not going to come knocking on your door. You mentioned living in Wichita 1982-1985 & it sucked back then 30 years ago, probably sucks worse now. Just interested in knowing where did you move to?
Well that is all you need to know. I dont go around asking people where they live because first, I dont care and second, it is none of my business. Get the message?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin36 View Post
1 - There is not much here in the way of things to do. No major league sports, limited shopping and dining, very few cultural opportunities. You'll have to drive to Kansas City or Oklahoma City if you want to attend a popular concert. Also, there seem to be monopolies on grocery and drug stores. There is only one decent enclosed shopping mall.
If you have to drive to OKC to find something to do, then Wichita really must be that bad. I didn't think something like this was possible.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
If you have to drive to OKC to find something to do, then Wichita really must be that bad. I didn't think something like this was possible.
I second this. OKC is mindnumbingly boring and people here are always driving to Tulsa or DFW to find things to do. I guess it could always be worse. Wichita probably seems pretty active compared to Topeka.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 13,292 times
Although I do not live in Wichita or anywhere near there, I do have knowledge of the place and make about one trip per year there and somewhat keep up on what is happening there in a broad sense. I would really like to see the town develop its strengths and mitigate or eliminate its weaknesses. The biggest problem I see is a widespread attitude of "we don't need to do it that way here" when it comes to improving the area. The defining characteristic of the city is its geographic location: southern great plains. This means there is a near-endless amount of land available for building. So the improvement of existing neighborhoods and districts is less viable than just building new areas. I realize this is a bit of a generalization and that some people do like the older neighborhoods and fix them up. But the areas that in other cities would be prized locations are in Wichita more neglected. There is no natural geographic magnet that constrains development. You could say that this is an advantage, because whatever you want to do, the land will be relatively inexpensive to do it. Housing cost is always the big selling point for the area. You can get a lot square footage and acreage for your money. But how these properties fit together into a community is not really ideal. People seem to need and want a lot more space around themselves than you would expect in a metro area of 600,000. So you get a lot of sprawl, a lot of newish but disposable type aesthetic. And in all the older and more central areas the property values do not really support building nicer condos, or even renovation of older houses, except at the very low end of the market, which does not drive the type of culture people want to see. (I know there are exceptions, e.g. Riverside.) It's a shame really, as there are lots of older spaces that could be converted to other uses, and a lot of nice older homes built before sprawl was such an option. It is just too cheap to keep sprawling out into the countryside. A lot of people like that, but it creates its own set of issues.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 AM

152 posts, read 208,777 times
Predatorial employment is very common. Employment scams are getting too common. Women who moved to area alone to work have been targeted badly for sexual harassment, wrongful termination, denial of unemployment and stalked/terrorized into relationships for the predatorial men. Whole office ignores this going on over and over, if you speak up, you get it BAD. Stalking and restraining order laws have been ruined by dirty attorneys here. Discount Legal Aide won't even give plaintiffs advice, defendants are always well informed and well represented like frequent flyers in court here. Expect to pay hourly attorney fees if you want to challenge a wrongful termination.

Manufacturing has so many employees arguing and torturing each other, some choose to quit as work putting together airplanes was more about politics and harassment.

Some skilled labor is now paying $9 an hour for life/death situation for customers, run so badly law suit is very likely due to management running things at 50%. It is shocking which big and successful businesses in Wichita treat their people & customers like this.

Colleges are screwing over some students. You may not even be able to get an internship in Wichita unless you can pay for 12-15 hours of classes. Some people who seek another degree cannot even get student loans. Part-time students are refused internships which are required to graduate. Yet, some of these internships sit empty for 2+ years but company's home office won't accept any other persons wishing to intern. Lots of the materials taught at the colleges are terribly out of date too sometimes. Bad sexual harassment is also being tolerated of some of the male workers making the colleges a losing proposition for female workers who quit in mass when another predatorial male instructor joins the staff. Pay cash for 2-3 classes to make sure any of these Wichita colleges will work for you before you get a student loan or Grant or you may be forced to pay back aid immediately upon dropping your classes.

Some churches are being called cults. Some unprofitable people who try churches in Wichita are run off and stalked by church members for years, even at their employment. There is no way to get this to quit. Only try a church where you know some of the members well.

Cost of housing is really getting too high for the Wichita wages. This has spawned a lot of aggressive behavior by men toward poor and middle class women to threaten and stalk, maybe even get a woman fired if you want her with you. Cops and courts in Wichita do not protect the peasants, only work to ruin victims if desired by wealthy repeat abuser who are sometimes even attorneys. Many local women who are single again do not stay alone long, as the sexual harassment at work can cause loss of your job.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,680 times
None of what was said above makes much sense at all... I'm sure there are some unfortunate situations similar to what is described above, but it is absolutely not the norm. I'm sorry you apparently had a negative experience or a rough time, but to claim that these things are "very common" is simply false. Housing costs also remain incredibly low compared to most similar sized cities in the country.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlysunny1 View Post
Predatorial employment is very common. Employment scams are getting too common. Women who moved to area alone to work have been targeted badly for sexual harassment, wrongful termination, denial of unemployment and stalked/terrorized into relationships for the predatorial men. Whole office ignores this going on over and over, if you speak up, you get it BAD. Stalking and restraining order laws have been ruined by dirty attorneys here. Discount Legal Aide won't even give plaintiffs advice, defendants are always well informed and well represented like frequent flyers in court here. Expect to pay hourly attorney fees if you want to challenge a wrongful termination.

Manufacturing has so many employees arguing and torturing each other, some choose to quit as work putting together airplanes was more about politics and harassment.

Some skilled labor is now paying $9 an hour for life/death situation for customers, run so badly law suit is very likely due to management running things at 50%. It is shocking which big and successful businesses in Wichita treat their people & customers like this.

Colleges are screwing over some students. You may not even be able to get an internship in Wichita unless you can pay for 12-15 hours of classes. Some people who seek another degree cannot even get student loans. Part-time students are refused internships which are required to graduate. Yet, some of these internships sit empty for 2+ years but company's home office won't accept any other persons wishing to intern. Lots of the materials taught at the colleges are terribly out of date too sometimes. Bad sexual harassment is also being tolerated of some of the male workers making the colleges a losing proposition for female workers who quit in mass when another predatorial male instructor joins the staff. Pay cash for 2-3 classes to make sure any of these Wichita colleges will work for you before you get a student loan or Grant or you may be forced to pay back aid immediately upon dropping your classes.

Some churches are being called cults. Some unprofitable people who try churches in Wichita are run off and stalked by church members for years, even at their employment. There is no way to get this to quit. Only try a church where you know some of the members well.

Cost of housing is really getting too high for the Wichita wages. This has spawned a lot of aggressive behavior by men toward poor and middle class women to threaten and stalk, maybe even get a woman fired if you want her with you. Cops and courts in Wichita do not protect the peasants, only work to ruin victims if desired by wealthy repeat abuser who are sometimes even attorneys. Many local women who are single again do not stay alone long, as the sexual harassment at work can cause loss of your job.
This is everywhere now, Employers are using employees worse than ever. College graduates now work for 10 dollar an hour jobs, thats why you have to get a Master's or higher degree now to make any money.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Whatever... You are a genious.
Wow. After your host of grammatical errors you went that route?

Sorry to say but genius is a relative term so maybe they are correct even if they are of average intelligence?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:14 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
This is everywhere now, Employers are using employees worse than ever. College graduates now work for 10 dollar an hour jobs, thats why you have to get a Master's or higher degree now to make any money.
Hard majors make wayyyy better than that. The young guy we hired 5 years ago is probably making around $60/hour with a bachelors degree.

Stop majoring in garbage soft majors and you will make better money. It's supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita