Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 12:27 PM

19 posts, read 22,667 times

Advertisements

I'm currently researching where I want to move (as I'm not satisfied in my current location) and Wichita came on my radar (even though some people from there are surprised). I'm just looking for information and advice from people there. Especially since if I move there, it would be immediately and only locals will have a good idea how the city will feel/look in the near future and what direction the city is heading. Also, on the local scene and local particularities of the sub-cultures there.

About me: I lived all along the east coast, from Manchester, NH to Fort Lauderdale, FL and states in-between. I'm currently looking for a small, safe-ish city. I'm single, a person of color, in my 30s, and have plenty of hobbies/interests.

What I'm looking for: a small-medium sized city. I've experienced more "exciting" sizes (a common complaint I read lurking here a bit). I'm a stone's throw from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I used to live outside DC too. When I was in my 20s, I wanted to exclusively live in big cities. What I realized now, is that I'm just looking for specific amenities one can get from cities. I'm curious about if there's any classical music scene in Wichita. idc if it's a local chamber group, university orchestral performances, etc. What's the arts and music scene there?

Another thing that attracted me to Wichita, perhaps one of the primary reasons, is cost of living. From the research I've done, I would love to live in an area called "Old Town" or perhaps Riverside. How are these areas? I would love to know from people that either live there or is in that area frequently. Old Town seems like my kind of place. I was also attracted to the apparent lack of traffic (compared to the commutes I'm used to), slightly slower pace while having some perks from living in a city. Although everywhere is getting more expensive, is Wichita still ok? And traffic? Also, any changes you anticipate in the future?

And my last, slightly embarrassing, topic is dating. If I move to Wichita, I would want to live there at least somewhat long term. Assuming I don't find a partner before then, what is it like trying to date in the city there? As a guy and as a POC? Are they a bit racist there? Do you have to be Christian to date women there? I was a bit concerned because, lurking here, it seems like a lot of people marry young, so should I worry about the dating scene there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 12:38 PM

Wow, thanks for the resources! Nice to see that I would have a few options to entertain myself with some good music if I moved there.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:28 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
POC is a fairly broad term. Since you are asking about how being a POC may impact your experience, it may be helpful to provide a little context on your background.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
POC is a fairly broad term. Since you are asking about how being a POC may impact your experience, it may be helpful to provide a little context on your background.
Biracial. Half black

Old 12-09-2021, 08:09 AM

374 posts, read 562,133 times
A retired community development director recently mentioned the Delano District.

https://www.visitwichita.com/about-w...lano-district/

Welcome to Historic Delano

Likely > housing choices than Old Town.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:54 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
Wow, thanks for the resources! Nice to see that I would have a few options to entertain myself with some good music if I moved there.
If you're not sold on Wichita consider moving towards the KC metro in areas like Overland Park, Lenexa, Shawnee Mission or various locations on the Missouri side of town.

You get all the amenities of a large city without all the big city BS (I used to live in Chicago so fyi).

You can get to the airport, NFL\MLB, Opera, Major concerts...etc. all within about 30 minutes and nobody is going to care that you're 1/2 black. One of my best friends if 1/2 black but female and it's never hurt interest in her around here.

All the best in your move.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:00 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
I don't think the race thing will be a factor at all. Kansas was one of the early states to legalize inter-racial marriage. Having said that I'm not sure if something done in the 1840's or 1850's still has any affect on people today. As far as lifestyle IMO you're trading down. You will pass through a lot of places more diverse and hospitable dating wise, economically beneficial and culturally active for POC on your way to Kansas. Unless you have a great job waiting for you like a corporate transfer type of thing you should get prepared for a little culture shock and some adjustment before you get settled in.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't think the race thing will be a factor at all. Kansas was one of the early states to legalize inter-racial marriage. Having said that I'm not sure if something done in the 1840's or 1850's still has any affect on people today. As far as lifestyle IMO you're trading down. You will pass through a lot of places more diverse and hospitable dating wise, economically beneficial and culturally active for POC on your way to Kansas. Unless you have a great job waiting for you like a corporate transfer type of thing you should get prepared for a little culture shock and some adjustment before you get settled in.
I'm sure there would be some culture shock. But Wichita did pop up on my radar because, as a city, its relatively safe and cheap. Plus, it apparently still has some amenities that I enjoy. And yeah, I would only make the move if I secured a job there or had a work-from-home situation going.

My only concerns was how I would be treated as a POC, non-conservative, non-Christian guy. And I was a bit concerned about the dating scene considering everyone is telling me how horrible the dating scene is there and everyone marries young (I'm in my 30s).

Old 12-15-2021, 06:39 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
I'm sure there would be some culture shock. But Wichita did pop up on my radar because, as a city, its relatively safe and cheap. Plus, it apparently still has some amenities that I enjoy. And yeah, I would only make the move if I secured a job there or had a work-from-home situation going.

My only concerns was how I would be treated as a POC, non-conservative, non-Christian guy. And I was a bit concerned about the dating scene considering everyone is telling me how horrible the dating scene is there and everyone marries young (I'm in my 30s).
I don't get there as much these days as I used to but I still have relatives there. I have probably been there with the last six months. Wichita has high crime and the poverty rate is around 30% for its black population. You can go to the data portion of this website and get fairly current figures. The black population is old enough and big enough to have a black part of town. There used to be a black arts festival and there is a black owned art gallery. The Kansas African American History Museum is there also.

Working at home is problematic unless you are connected to a local company. A good way to scope out a multi-racial night life is to find out who the popular blues bands are and check them out. Blues tends to bring out multi-racial crowds these days at least that's the way it is in the mid-west. Check out what ever local news papers you can read on line and see what's being covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita