Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 26,810 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a position at WSU and will be moving during the month of July from Houston, Texas. I am totally unfamiliar with Wichita- other than the information that I have read online.

I am a young (26) single (with no kids) African American. I would love to rent a duplex or a house somewhere close to the city. I plan to go out a lot- to bars and parties and I don't like to drive a long distance late at night. I have heard at Riverside and College Hill areas. Are there other areas. I would also like to be close to the university if possible. I totally like the Bradley Fair area of town.

What is there to do for people of color? Or is everything majority white? Not that it is an issue because I grew up in Nashville which is majority White and Houston is a very diverse city. I just like to be aware and have options.

What is there for young professionals to do? In Houston, there was plenty of things to do politically and civic related. I read about the Chamber of Commerce's Young Professionals group but what else is there? I want to get very involved in the city.

What are the fun bars or restaurants to go for happy hours?

Thanks in advance.
Kay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:02 PM

61 posts, read 269,802 times
I too moved from Houston to take a position at WSU. I am now leaving WSU and moving back home to Long Island. Be ready for a major culture shock. There really isnt that much for a young single person to do here. That is why so many move away and return once married with children. That is the majority of people. You mgiht try the Wichita Art Museam and Final Fridays. THat is where the galleries are open late on Friday night = the last one of the month and everyone goes from one to another. WSU is a commuter school so very little sense of community, in my opinion. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydphia View Post
I just accepted a position at WSU and will be moving during the month of July from Houston, Texas. I am totally unfamiliar with Wichita- other than the information that I have read online.

I am a young (26) single (with no kids) African American. I would love to rent a duplex or a house somewhere close to the city. I plan to go out a lot- to bars and parties and I don't like to drive a long distance late at night. I have heard at Riverside and College Hill areas. Are there other areas. I would also like to be close to the university if possible. I totally like the Bradley Fair area of town.

What is there to do for people of color? Or is everything majority white? Not that it is an issue because I grew up in Nashville which is majority White and Houston is a very diverse city. I just like to be aware and have options.

What is there for young professionals to do? In Houston, there was plenty of things to do politically and civic related. I read about the Chamber of Commerce's Young Professionals group but what else is there? I want to get very involved in the city.

What are the fun bars or restaurants to go for happy hours?

Thanks in advance.
Kay
First of all Wichita is not a "party town". There are bars and such but it is not a thriving singles bar town. Secondly you do not want to live mostly anywhere near WSU. While the campus is fairly safe, the neighbourhood around it is highly dangerous- even in the day. Avoid it and move south of Central Street into the College Hill area. Riverside- which is close to downtown- is pretty nice too. Next, houses are hard to rent in Wichita. Most are occupied by owners. Apartments and duplexes are easier and fairly cheap. And yes Wichita is an overwhelmingly white city but it is not a racist city. Not at all. Despite being 80+ percent white, it has a black mayor and had another black mayor back in the 60s. It also had a Hispanic mayor. Most of the bar scene is located in Old Town which is just to the east of downtown. And as for driving, there is no such thing as a "long drive" or commute in Wichita. At best it is about 15 minutes from anywhere to anywhere there. The only thing I could tell you is not to expect alot of culture there. If you want that or the big concerts, you gotta drive up to Kansas City.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 PM

I saw one home for rent on E. Pine and E. Murdock in the 67208 zipcode...
and

One home on N. Williamsburg called Turtle Creek...in the same zipcode...

Now I do live in the inner city of Houston...and think that supposed crime and danger areas are relative to how you grew up and who you grew up with. I didn't grow up sheltered. But if it is Queens NY dangerous or South Central and Watts dangerous where you can get shot by just looking at someone the wrong way or wearing the wrong color...then I don't want to live in that type of area.

Also any suggestions on apts in the College Hill area?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
And yes Wichita is an overwhelmingly white city but it is not a racist city. Not at all. Despite being 80+ percent white, it has a black mayor and had another black mayor back in the 60s. It also had a Hispanic mayor.
To be fair, the city is 75% white. It's not "overwhelmingly white" in my opinion. It's racial make-up is comparable to other cities its size and is for sure not a racist city.

Quote:
The only thing I could tell you is not to expect alot of culture there. If you want that or the big concerts, you gotta drive up to Kansas City.
Sigh... you have to make it your own. There are concerts, art galleries, etc. etc. etc. The city has an awesome art scene, again, in relation to cities its size. Don't compare Wichita to Chicago, Houston, New York. They are some of the biggest cities in the world, so of course they will have more to offer! Wichita fairs well on its own, so don't discredit it.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
To be fair, the city is 75% white. It's not "overwhelmingly white" in my opinion. It's racial make-up is comparable to other cities its size and is for sure not a racist city.

Sigh... you have to make it your own. There are concerts, art galleries, etc. etc. etc. The city has an awesome art scene, again, in relation to cities its size. Don't compare Wichita to Chicago, Houston, New York. They are some of the biggest cities in the world, so of course they will have more to offer! Wichita fairs well on its own, so don't discredit it.
There are concerts, art and all that but they are all 2nd tier. For 1st tier you have to go to Kansas City. When I was in Wichita me and my friends drove to KC for several concerts including Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones- who finally after 30 years did a show in Wichita. Comparing culture in Wichita to that in KC is like comparing Joyland to Worlds of Fun- also in KC. Don't get me wrong- there are many many things to love about Wichita but this is not one of them.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Updates:

I am currently in Wichita now visiting some of the places that I liked from my research. I have narrowed it down to 2 places. 1 is in College Hill on Douglas and the other is near the intersection of Douglas and Hydraulic. There is a bit of a price difference- like 150 a month. I like the Hydraulic location because it is close to the new stadium and if they build restaurants and bars around it..I would be very close.

Any advice on these two locations...Again I am coming from Houston with no kids, 20- something- and I know what real crime is...

Old 06-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydphia View Post
Updates:

I am currently in Wichita now visiting some of the places that I liked from my research. I have narrowed it down to 2 places. 1 is in College Hill on Douglas and the other is near the intersection of Douglas and Hydraulic. There is a bit of a price difference- like 150 a month. I like the Hydraulic location because it is close to the new stadium and if they build restaurants and bars around it..I would be very close.

Any advice on these two locations...Again I am coming from Houston with no kids, 20- something- and I know what real crime is...
Either of those places should be fine. I own some property by Hydraulic so I know that is a decent area although I don't live there.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 23,794 times
Quote:
First of all Wichita is not a "party town". There are bars and such but it is not a thriving singles bar town. Secondly you do not want to live mostly anywhere near WSU. While the campus is fairly safe, the neighbourhood around it is highly dangerous- even in the day. Avoid it and move south of Central Street into the College Hill area. Riverside- which is close to downtown- is pretty nice too. Next, houses are hard to rent in Wichita. Most are occupied by owners. Apartments and duplexes are easier and fairly cheap. And yes Wichita is an overwhelmingly white city but it is not a racist city. Not at all. Despite being 80+ percent white, it has a black mayor and had another black mayor back in the 60s. It also had a Hispanic mayor. Most of the bar scene is located in Old Town which is just to the east of downtown. And as for driving, there is no such thing as a "long drive" or commute in Wichita. At best it is about 15 minutes from anywhere to anywhere there. The only thing I could tell you is not to expect alot of culture there. If you want that or the big concerts, you gotta drive up to Kansas City.
I have to disagree on the safety around WSU; it depends on where you live. I can get to work at WSU within ten minutes if I walk. There are places where I would not live near WSU but there are reasonable places near the university. Four examples are "Woodgate" on 21st, "Tall Oaks" on Oliver, "Varsity Villa" on 16th and "Wheatshocker" on campus. A number of faculty and staff own homes near WSU and walk to work. WSU police and Wichita police patrol the area around WSU.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocking View Post
I have to disagree on the safety around WSU; it depends on where you live. I can get to work at WSU within ten minutes if I walk. There are places where I would not live near WSU but there are reasonable places near the university. Four examples are "Woodgate" on 21st, "Tall Oaks" on Oliver, "Varsity Villa" on 16th and "Wheatshocker" on campus. A number of faculty and staff own homes near WSU and walk to work. WSU police and Wichita police patrol the area around WSU.
I will take your word for it. I don't live there anymore but when I did the area around there was a cesspool and I would not be caught over there in daylight. But I did notice when I was there last summer that they have a police station over there and a Sonic. So maybe the area is better than it used to be. But back then, if you walked around off campus, you might as well have a sign on that said "ROB ME" because that was what was going to happen sooner or later. As I said the campus itself was always safe because it is well patrolled by the WSU PD. So maybe the neighbourhood is better now too. Maybe the Primrose Apartments over there are cleaned up or gone??? They used to have a killing in there about every other week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita