Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 10:17 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times

Advertisements

I completely have no dog in this thread as Im not even from Kansas but the topic looked interesting and I had to read it because I never heard of earthquakes in Kansas.. ...anyway I got a question though, do you have to be pretty close to the oil facility to feel it or are they felt a long way out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 PM

648 posts, read 431,556 times
When OK and TX first had their first big oil boon, there were little earthquakes all the time. Same thing. Just relieving pressure on faults that are under nearly all of our feets.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:49 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Brownback appoints panel to study recent earthquakes, fracking waste

FEBRUARY 17, 2014

Calling it a “matter of public safety,” Gov. Sam Brownback has appointed a committee to study whether oil and gas activity is behind the recent spate of minor earthquakes in Kansas.

Expansion of the oil and gas recovery method known as “fracking” has coincided with a series of small quakes in areas that had long been seismically stable. Fracking doesn’t appear to cause the problem, but an increase in oil and gas production and disposal of waste fluids associated with fracking could be behind the recent temblors that have shaken south-central Kansas and northern Oklahoma, scientists said Monday.

“It’s not the fracking itself, it’s this re-injection of the fluids into formations that are considered safe to hold it,” said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist with the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo. “It’s waste disposal.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/article1...#storylink=cpy

One member of the Gov's panel was Rex Buchanan, interim director of the Kansas Geological Survey. Buchanan went on to be appointed director of KGS.

Gov Brownback quickly backtracked before members of the Kansas Independent Oil & Gas Association, stating prior to the panel's assessment, that THE EARTHQUAKES ARE NOT RELATED TO FRACKING.

The last barrel of oil pumped out of Kansas will be the most valuable barrel ever pumped. Why not reserve it all until then? The Martians will show us how to do it without any further environmental degradation.
Because if everyone, everywhere takes that same position, this is your life....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypEaGQb6dJk

Old 01-01-2021, 07:50 AM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
When OK and TX first had their first big oil boon, there were little earthquakes all the time. Same thing. Just relieving pressure on faults that are under nearly all of our feets.
In Oklahoma they did adjust the regs somewhat and since the oil field slowed down we aren't seeing the quakes like we did.

However, what is interesting is that most of the quakes we get/got are around the Nemaha ridge area that extends down into Oklahoma.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I completely have no dog in this thread as Im not even from Kansas but the topic looked interesting and I had to read it because I never heard of earthquakes in Kansas.. ...anyway I got a question though, do you have to be pretty close to the oil facility to feel it or are they felt a long way out?
My Parents live in Wichita and the Fraking business is active 175 miles away in Tulsa OK

Old 01-03-2021, 04:19 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Brownback appoints panel to study recent earthquakes, fracking waste

FEBRUARY 17, 2014

Calling it a “matter of public safety,” Gov. Sam Brownback has appointed a committee to study whether oil and gas activity is behind the recent spate of minor earthquakes in Kansas.

Expansion of the oil and gas recovery method known as “fracking” has coincided with a series of small quakes in areas that had long been seismically stable. Fracking doesn’t appear to cause the problem, but an increase in oil and gas production and disposal of waste fluids associated with fracking could be behind the recent temblors that have shaken south-central Kansas and northern Oklahoma, scientists said Monday.

“It’s not the fracking itself, it’s this re-injection of the fluids into formations that are considered safe to hold it,” said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist with the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo. “It’s waste disposal.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/article1...#storylink=cpy

One member of the Gov's panel was Rex Buchanan, interim director of the Kansas Geological Survey. Buchanan went on to be appointed director of KGS.

Gov Brownback quickly backtracked before members of the Kansas Independent Oil & Gas Association, stating prior to the panel's assessment, that THE EARTHQUAKES ARE NOT RELATED TO FRACKING.

The last barrel of oil pumped out of Kansas will be the most valuable barrel ever pumped. Why not reserve it all until then? The Martians will show us how to do it without any further environmental degradation.
Yes, it is mostly the wastewater injection of wastewater fluids into rock formations related to fracking. I wouldn't trust any of those operations if you have a private drilled well for household water supplies nearby...

Old 01-03-2021, 08:05 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
My Parents live in Wichita and the Fraking business is active 175 miles away in Tulsa OK
Oh wow. Thats pretty insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
View detailed profiles of: