Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

There is pretty much nothing to do in Wichita. There are some really lame museums, mediocre quality entertainment like dinner theater (we are talking high school drama class quality) and the same stuff every place has like zoos, parks, strip malls, etc.

Wichita is the kind of town where you work, go home and wait for the next chance to get out of town for some entertainment. It does have some really nice movie theaters, that is the only real notable thing in the entire city entertainment wise.

The boosters and Wichita fetishists will come along, call me names and tell you how great it is, but they are full of crap. It is a blue collar, working class city with zero activities for visitors and locals alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:16 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
There is pretty much nothing to do in Wichita. There are some really lame museums, mediocre quality entertainment like dinner theater (we are talking high school drama class quality) and the same stuff every place has like zoos, parks, strip malls, etc.

Wichita is the kind of town where you work, go home and wait for the next chance to get out of town for some entertainment. It does have some really nice movie theaters, that is the only real notable thing in the entire city entertainment wise.

The boosters and Wichita fetishists will come along, call me names and tell you how great it is, but they are full of crap. It is a blue collar, working class city with zero activities for visitors and locals alike.
I will politely disagree with you and leave it at that.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
I will politely disagree with you and leave it at that.
I feel left out. You insult and call all of the other posters names when they dare to post a criticism of Wichita. Are you really not going to call me a troll at the very least?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,360 times
Quote:
I feel left out. You insult and call all of the other posters names when they dare to post a criticism of Wichita. Are you really not going to call me a troll at the very least?
Nope, because you're not a troll. I will, however, disagree with you. Anyway, these forums have a history of trolls and sockpuppets; to deny that would be silly. If you're referring to me calling out these trolls and sockpuppets (most of which were the same person, but multiple people have done so in actuality), I won't deny nor regret doing so.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM

31 posts, read 26,061 times
Quote:

I second the motion, there is little to do in Wichita. It is not a very nice looking city that you can walk around and enjoy the city scape and every time I talk to anyone they always ask, why did you come to Kansas? This is not a term of endearment, it is why the heck would anyone chose to move here question. There is a comedy club that is OK, they get a few shows, but if you look at the things to do in Wichita list you get Museum of world treasures its OK for a one time tour but not something you go back to.
Or you get the Botanical gardens, not very big only about ten acres and nothing great to see. I have been to the zoo and its ok but mostly for the kids. other than that all you get here is "we have great shopping and restaurants" Not all of us are mall rats and spend money to eat out. This city is low on my list of places to visit for fun, Colorado or Missouri or Arkansas has much more to do, Texas and Arizona have more to do than Kansas and Wichita in-particular.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Get married and have babies. LOL

Old 08-13-2010, 03:15 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Get married and have babies. LOL
That is how some people easily become trapped in Wichita.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Yep, we are. My hubby's kids are here and now we have 2 grandsons. But most of us cannot live in a tourist place. Get a good job and be happy.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:

Wichita only has maybe 400,000 people in it. It is not realistic to expect it to have the cultural and entertainment options that New York has. Kansas City offers more of that and it is only a few hours away. You need to enjoy what Wichita does offer and not worry about what it does not offer. And the zoo there is really nice and worth seeing.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflair View Post
I second the motion, there is little to do in Wichita. It is not a very nice looking city that you can walk around and enjoy the city scape and every time I talk to anyone they always ask, why did you come to Kansas? This is not a term of endearment, it is why the heck would anyone chose to move here question. There is a comedy club that is OK, they get a few shows, but if you look at the things to do in Wichita list you get Museum of world treasures its OK for a one time tour but not something you go back to.
Or you get the Botanical gardens, not very big only about ten acres and nothing great to see. I have been to the zoo and its ok but mostly for the kids. other than that all you get here is "we have great shopping and restaurants" Not all of us are mall rats and spend money to eat out. This city is low on my list of places to visit for fun, Colorado or Missouri or Arkansas has much more to do, Texas and Arizona have more to do than Kansas and Wichita in-particular.
First of all Wichita is not BIG enough to be an entertainment mecca. It simply does not have the population to support big name entertainment. Maybe, if Bugsy Siegel and stopped in Wichita instead of Las Vegas- maybe who knows? But he didn't so you are stuck with airplane factories.
Secondly Wichita is not designed to entertain people. It is a sensible Midwestern city designed for a blue collar work force. It is designed as a place where people sleep at night unless they are at work and they get up in the morning, send the kids to school and go to work. And maybe on Friday and Saturday ride Harleys to the local bar and have a few beers. I would argue that Arkansas is any more entertaining and you have to consider that the other states you mention as having more also have many more people. The population of metro Dallas, Phoenix or Denver is bigger than the whole state of Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita