Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,991 times

Advertisements

Union or not If you don't do your work, you can be fired.... Untill you get time and grade you can be laid off. Aircraft is the good money. Go to work do your job SAVE money for the bad times. You will go through strikes, layoffs and 3 day work weeks like everyone else does. I know I worked there for 24 years and glad I'm retired. You just keep going back..... PS Its good to belong to the UNION. There the ones that get you the benefits.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 AM

31 posts, read 109,896 times
I am an engineer at Spirit and I think it's a good company. We have been around for over 80 years as a Boeing division before becoming Spirit about 5 years ago when Boeing sold the division. Since then we have bid and won design/build contracts on other non-Boeing aircraft and while there have been some growing pains, there is a lot of work going on right now with several programs in the flight test phase. I don't who if anyone who is still on a 3-day work week, and that affected primarily the shop workers. Also Spirit is the only Wichita aerospace company that has NOT laid people off recently. There were some IT people that ended up going out but that was a relatively small group and they were offered other jobs which some declined, probably for good reason as they would have been forced to move and/or take a big pay cut. Anyway my opinion is that Spirit is pretty healthy but it is the aircraft industry which is cyclical so there is certainly the possibility of layoffs in the future. I have worked here for 25 years as an engineer and I have never been layed off and they have always been pretty good to me.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times
Update: Spirit Aerosystems seems to be on a huge hiring process right now due to the fact that an estimated 40% of their employees are going to retire in the next 5 years and, yes, I'm going to be applying because one of my friends just got hired a couple of months ago and recommended that I apply.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
I have heard nothing but good things from friends and family. Most of the people who complain spend like crazy during the good times and don't save anything for the layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita