Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandrunning View Post
Ahhh, another Ad Homonym attack. Have you ever even read thinking fallacies or false reasoning’s? Its hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Can I get an Oh Ya? or maybe a says you. Mix it up a bit. At least you would stop being repetitious.

You may call it whatever you like, but I don't have every second available to me to wage an internet argument. Since I have some free time now, here ya go:

Quote:
Time will tell. I have relatives in South Carolina, things are slowing there from a boom economy. I think anyone who feels that Wichita will some how not be affected by the economic down turn is fooling themselves. I heard it all before 5 years ago in Michigan, Many people Real estate people especially said that we had hit bottom and are nicely bouncing back. That there were many buying homes and it was looking good. I was called a "doom and gloom" person. Well I was the one on the correct side. All I did was point out that there was nothing on the horizon that was able to pull Michigan out of the down fall we were in. I see the same with Wichita. Wichita like Michigan is founded mostly on a big Aircraft industry. This industry is slowly stalling out. There is nothing that will keep things from slowing down the economy there. As I said in another post, no one and I mean no one goes to Wichita for a vacation, unless they have family there. There is nothing to do. If you are going to spend $ you go to Myrtle Beach, Orlando, New Orleans. Places that are geard to having fun. The statistics in that article are much the same as they were in Michigan when I was arguing that the big 3 were heading down the wrong path. They were building SUVs, and big trucks like there was no end to cheap oil. The aircraft industry rests on the same oil problem. Some say but oil is cheap again. Yes it is, but there are two problems with this statement, first is it will not stay cheap, it is a finite product, and the world is gobbling it up faster than it can be produced. There is no magic bullet, or drill baby drill that will reverse this. Any one who thinks that we can drill our way to cheap oil is a fool. Second is oil is only cheap because we are in a world wide recession and maybe depression. So now you have oil that is affordable but millions are loosing jobs and can not afford to buy it at the now cheap prices, along with loosing their homes. Who do you think moves to Wichita and buys a home? If people can not get loans, if people can not sell their homes where they live, even if the economy stays great there, and I doubt very seriously it will, who can afford to move there and buy a home? Do you Christian zealots want to breed your self’s more home buyers? Is that the great plan, ban condoms to create home buyers? I am working to move there so I hope things are better then the rest of the country, but I do not expect it to be that way for long. It is just basic economics that says it will not be.
I've never said that Wichita's economy hasn't declined, nor have I said that the housing market hasn't either. What I have done is shown you evidence that Wichita's economy/housing market is stronger than other parts of the nation, and that it is being projected to remain at this level or get stronger in the future. I do agree that the things have declined, just not to the level that it has elsewhere. I also agree that time will tell, especially with the inauguration of our new President.

The later half of your post has misguided assumptions (ie - Christian zealots), so I won't respond to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:45 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Any local economy that does well over the next year should consider itself very lucky.....and if they are flat they should consider themselves lucky....heck...even if there was a slight decline ....lucky.

...because there are some areas of this country that are going to be in the toilet.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Default Slinging houses

Quote:
Many of the Realty agents could teach Karl Rove a thing or three about spin.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Wow, you said it. Our experience with a major real estate company in NE Kansas was a flipping nightmare, and I won't ever deal with them again. Their idea of customer service is turning you over to their inhouse attorney who treats you like a piece of garbage and then, admitting the transaction was screwed up, offers you a pittance for your trouble. Our agent did absolutely nothing to find us a home and then never got back to us with answers to our questions. The sellers agent learned about the problem we had with the house and said 'tough luck' in so many words.

So I gather, Houseslinger, that you are proud of your moniker, but to me, it's awful. Slinging a product means offloading it as fast as your can, taking the money and moving on. I guess when you do that with property, that makes you a real estate agent.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:29 AM

62 posts, read 228,620 times
LOL I don't know whether to be amused or appalled at the vitriol some people express when someone shares positive experiences here. Geez, sorry! Ok the economy is in the toilet, everyone is going to be out on the street in mere days and we'll all be eating dirt and tree bark and be happy to get the occasional worm for protein.

Yes, I am proud of what I do and I'm sorry you had a bad experience, Tina. I'm sure you had absolutely NO culpability in your situation. You were duped by a vast conspiracy of crafty and devious realtors and attorneys, headed up, I'm sure, by George Bush. But to put EVERY agent into that category would be like me thinking EVERY person from Johnson County is a bigoted, arrogant snob, based on the fact that I met ONE person from there like that.

I SERVE my clients. I work hard to make their transactions as easy and pain free as possible. You know nothing about me other than I'm a busy, happy agent with a positive outlook and you, for some reason feel threatened by that and feel the need to criticize me and put me down.

This speaks more to your issues than mine, don't they?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM

156 posts, read 350,889 times
Classic example of a false dilemma. Either you are a conservative or you want the government to completely take care of you.
Either you are for the war in Iraq or you hate the troops. It is a tactic used by people who can not properly argue the facts.
You see no one here said that Wichita was collapsing in on it self. It is a false choice BSlinger is giving you. Much like Hannity does in his so called interviews. He uses loaded questions, When did you stop beating your wife, just answer yes or now, when did you stop beating your wife. See they are not willing to answer the thought questions. Another false reasoning, I assume nothing about you. I do not know you are a busy happy agent.

You could be a pimply 13 year old that likes to type on the internet. The issue would be one side said that things are slow and homes not selling as well in Wichita as in past years. You decided to make this an issue by saying you have not seen this to be true. The issue was raised by you, and the burden of proof lies with you. I said that even if what you say is all true, and I can not prove than any of it is or is not. But for arguments sake lets assume it is true. It still does not prove that things in Wichita are good. You could have a streak of good luck selling, or the homes you are selling could have been valued at a higher price a year ago and people are pricing them at a percentage lower than they normally would have, and being priced right for the market they are moving. There are any number of things that could assuming what you state is fact, be the reason that you have moved homes in a slowing market. Tina had a bad experience with a real estate agent, I have been involved with the real estate market and agents.

They have a very minimum of education to get a lisc. Usually 1 week of course, and write a min. requirement test, and walla, a realty lisc. Most I have known are all over the map as to their education, personality and the like. Some are very good and do have the best interest of the client at heart. Many do not understand the first thing of what a home is. Many are like the little pimple faced kid at best buy that tries to push off that extra good deal for a geek squad computer set up, and they do not realize that they are trying to sell something they do not understand. Nothing is worse than a new salesman how has the fire of Jesus in his heart. Every one is going to set records. I do not know you, and most likely never will, so it really does not mater what I think of you or you of me. I always wonder though, when people seem to try to hard to prove something. A lot like the people who want to make sure every one knows they would beat up any gay person they met. I always thing, what are you trying to convince everyone of? Me thinks you does protest to much.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:25 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Our realtor here for the house we bought was an absolute genuine human being if I ever saw one. He went to the mat for us when things didn't go our way and when we couldn't reach resolution on an item he actually waved a pretty good sum of his commission even though we told him not to do it. When we closed we gave him a top of the line Garmin GPS because we heard him say he wished he had one but couldn't afford it.

Karma. Give and you shall receive.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 AM

62 posts, read 228,620 times
So ... um UandR, I sort of got mired down in the rambling but is that your manner of appology for having to resort to name calling?

thank you.... i guess.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseslinger View Post
So ... um UandR, I sort of got mired down in the rambling but is that your manner of appology for having to resort to name calling?

thank you.... i guess.
Don't get mired in U&R's rambling...go back and read his post. It is extremely well written and thought out. You can also get off your high horse about his name calling, given some of the things you have said here.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM

156 posts, read 350,889 times
Well more bad news for Wichita. I read that Boeing just put some of its labor on 3 day work weeks until spring, when it hopes to bring them back full time. Sherwin Williams got rid of its third shift and set its first and second to 4 day work weeks. Not good at all. All this slipping in the wrong direction. This is the same thing that happened in Michigan 3 years ago. Every step down someone was saying things were not that bad, and that they would turn around soon. Now the state is absolutely on the edge of collapse. I am not saying that this is for sure going to happen in Wichita, I am only saying things are not looking all that bright, and I see many of the same signs there that other places that have been devastated over the last years started out with. I would not go into debt right now, not for a home or a TV. I would put every penny in a solid bank and hope for the best. When in doubt save save save. Which is what we should have been doing for the last ten years?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Still, Wichita unemployment rate down from September | Business Updates | Kansas.com (http://www.kansas.com/business/updates/story/617471.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita