Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Oh, I forgot - the state is pushing Amtrak to extend service from Oklahoma City through Wichita to connect with its current line in Newton. That would be really nice imo.
That is an awesome idea. That whole drive to Newton for the train is just dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,242 times
Hi OP - I just left Wichita and moved to NY. It will be much easier if you buy your vehicle in Wichita, because it is a pain to switch the title. Take it from me. I bought a car with a Missouri title and it was a major production. There are some good reputable dealers, and some not so good. I've bought used cars from Davis-Moore and they are great if you haggle them down. I bought a Merecedes and a Jeep Cherokee from them and got a GREAT deal both times. I've also bought cars from Scholfield Mercedes and they are top notch and their service dept is fantastic. Just don't look for a bargain from them.

As far as public transport in Wichita, forget it. The trolley is a joke. There is nothing downtown. The buses are scuzzy. You must have a car. Oh, and a garage as well, to protect it from the hailstorms, which happen every year.

People automatically think Wichita will be some kind of bargain over NY. Oh no. You'll be unpleasantly surprised at how much it costs to get your car registered. It's way cheaper in NY.

If you are not a very right leaning Christian, you will have to search to find people that you have much in common with, but they're there. Get involved in the arts community. That seemed to be where I found the most diversity in culture and point of view, and less of "do it my way or your going to hell".

I made some wonderful friends in Wichita, but I always was a fish out of water. The good things about Wichita: very affordable housing, lots of good jobs that pay decently, and your vacation chioces are endless because it's equidistant to the east and west coasts. We went skiing in Breckenridge a lot because the flight to Denver is only about an hour. I really think Wichita's airport is great also, and so easy to get in and out of. Chicago is a quick and easy flight too. Both cities are fun for a weekend getaway.

It takes about 3 - 3.5 hours to drive to Kansas City, and frankly I didn't find it all that special. I'd rather fly an hour and be in Denver or Chicago.

Also - Wichita has the best movie theaters anywhere - the Warren theaters. We miss those a lot.

Good luck to you. You can have a decent life in KS but it will never ever be like NY. We will never leave here again EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita