Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM

180 posts, read 526,764 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job transfer to Wichita from N Dakota, but wanted to get some opinions for my situation.

I went to college in Springfield, Missouri from 1998-2002 and went to Wichita once with a group for a road basketball game at Wichita State in 2000. During that one visit, Wichita kinda reminded of Springfield in some ways, and I remember thinking that I could see myself living there.

With this job transfer, I would be working in the vicinity of Towne Square East I cannot drive due to an eye condition, and I want to be be able to live and walk 2 miles or less to work. Public transit hours are too limited for me to depend on that. It appears there are quite a few affordable apartments under $550 a month for a 1 bd in the Towne Square East area, so I think I'll be okay distance and cost wise.

But is this a fairly safe part of the city? Since I would be walking a lot, I need to feel safe, even though I know anything can happen anywhere. It looks like the crime numbers on city-data are on the higher side for the Wichita, but is the crime isolated to a few bad areas of the city. Where are the bad areas that one should avoid?

My only other concern is, like a lot of people, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. We get them in N Dakota, and they occured in Missouri, but nowhere near the numbers or frequency Kansas is known for. So just how bad is it? On average, how often does a tornado actually hit the city? Are you constantly cleaning up damage from storms? I am sure it just becomes part of your way of life.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:57 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
I am considering a job transfer to Wichita from N Dakota, but wanted to get some opinions for my situation.
From the thread title, I was thinking "Say no!!!" But then I see you're coming from North Dakota ...

Quote:
With this job transfer, I would be working in the vicinity of Towne Square East I cannot drive due to an eye condition, and I want to be be able to live and walk 2 miles or less to work. Public transit hours are too limited for me to depend on that. It appears there are quite a few affordable apartments under $550 a month for a 1 bd in the Towne Square East area, so I think I'll be okay distance and cost wise.

But is this a fairly safe part of the city?
I don't think that's the best area of town. But others who know the city better will have to comment.

I wouldn't worry too much about thunderstorms or tornadoes. While they are not uncommon - really bad ones are pretty rare. You are unlikely to ever actually see a tornado.

So that said - don't panic every time you hear the tornado sirens. Any time a storm is overhead that even has the capability to drop a tornado, the sirens will sound. You can tell the native Kansans from the nonnatives by who goes down to the basement and who goes outside with a lawn chair and a sixpack hoping to spot one.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
I always thought those apts across from Towne East Mall were full of loud and rude people... not dangerous ones... but someone whose been there recently should comment.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
Quote:
...Towne Square East...2 miles or less...
College Hill is within 2mi, no?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:

I went to college in Springfield, Missouri from 1998-2002 and went to Wichita once with a group for a road basketball game at Wichita State in 2000. During that one visit, Wichita kinda reminded of Springfield in some ways, and I remember thinking that I could see myself living there.

But is this a fairly safe part of the city? Since I would be walking a lot, I need to feel safe, even though I know anything can happen anywhere. It looks like the crime numbers on city-data are on the higher side for the Wichita, but is the crime isolated to a few bad areas of the city. Where are the bad areas that one should avoid?

My only other concern is, like a lot of people, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. We get them in N Dakota, and they occured in Missouri, but nowhere near the numbers or frequency Kansas is known for. So just how bad is it? On average, how often does a tornado actually hit the city? Are you constantly cleaning up damage from storms? I am sure it just becomes part of your way of life.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
The area you are looking in is safe and a good area and Wichita does get a good amount of violent weather but a tornado actually coming into the city proper is rare- all you need do is look at the number of 100+ year old homes there.
The thing I would caution you about is not being able to drive. Unless you have a spouse or family that can drive, I would not consider living in Wichita. You need a car like you need a liver there! Even if you can walk to work, you still have to get groceries, see the doctor and do other things and living there without a car is almost impossible.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The thing I would caution you about is not being able to drive. Unless you have a spouse or family that can drive, I would not consider living in Wichita. You need a car like you need a liver there! Even if you can walk to work, you still have to get groceries, see the doctor and do other things and living there without a car is almost impossible.
I agree with this as well. Cabs will be hard to come by. I think there is a bus system - but I don't know how convenient it would be. Transportation will definitely be something to consider.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 PM

Yes, I know transportation is an issue. It has been everywhere I have ever lived. I do not have any family there, nor do I have any here in N Dakota.

The Wichita bus system appears adequate for getting around during the day, but does not run after 7pm or on Sundays. But that is quite normal for a lot of cities that are not large metro areas with tons of suburbs.

That is why it is important for me to live where I can walk to quite a few things, like my job, a mall, restaurants etc.. I have learned to plan things that I cannot walk to during the day when buses are running.

I know to some it may sound impossible, but when it's all you've ever known, you learn to make things work.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM

14 posts, read 36,005 times
1. Living in Wichita without a car seems "impossible" to those of us with cars (I've lived here for 17 years), but like the OP says, it's amazing what can work if a person really "needs to" do something. I have a friend (a professional making a good living) that lives without a car, and he makes it work fine for him (relying largely on the buses, but he also walks a lot, and takes an occasional cab).

2. The Town East mall location always "shows high" in the crime statistics, but I think that's largely driven by the occasional car-break-in at the mall. (Last week, there was a car-jacking in the mall parking lot, but that's rare.) The general location is good/safe. Depending on the exact apartment location, lots of things (eating, shopping, etc.) will be within somewhat-reasonable walking distance (at least when it's not too hot or cold....).

Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axtellboy View Post
1. Living in Wichita without a car seems "impossible" to those of us with cars (I've lived here for 17 years), but like the OP says, it's amazing what can work if a person really "needs to" do something. I have a friend (a professional making a good living) that lives without a car, and he makes it work fine for him (relying largely on the buses, but he also walks a lot, and takes an occasional cab).

2. The Town East mall location always "shows high" in the crime statistics, but I think that's largely driven by the occasional car-break-in at the mall. (Last week, there was a car-jacking in the mall parking lot, but that's rare.) The general location is good/safe. Depending on the exact apartment location, lots of things (eating, shopping, etc.) will be within somewhat-reasonable walking distance (at least when it's not too hot or cold....).
Thank you for the positive encouragement and info about your friend making it without a car.

My main concern as far as the area being safe is that I don't want to be robbed, stabbed, or shot when I am walking. As you said, a mall or heavy commercial area leads to several other types of crime.

Overall, it sounds like the Towne Square East area is not the worst part of the city. So, what areas should I really avoid? Could someone give me some street boundaries for those areas that are just plain dangerous?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
IMHO I have only been here about 2 years ( most recent from Miami, longtime Atlantan) I tend to stay east of Woodlawn/Oliver (they run north south) and north of Kellogg (runs east west)
Just my preference. I think you would be okay somewhere off Rock, north of the mall.
Actually there is a small place near 8115 E Central Ave, Wichita KS 67206, (that's the dry cleaners- the apt building is back behind a little shopping center, on the SE side of Central at Rock...studios and 1 bR I think, small, but decent. Close to grocery, and could walk to the mall. Darn it! I can't think of the name !! It isn't Brookhollow...I'm sorry I can't think of it!!

This city isn't too bad comparing it to where I have lived, at least in this NE side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita