Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,721 times

Advertisements

I have a dilemma. This will take a while.

My husband and I currently live in Miami. We hate it. My family is in Topeka, KS, and his is scattered everywhere. We both have agreed to move to the midwest. However my current job has a call center in Wichita and the Manager said I could probably relocate there. My husband works for TSA, but would like to become a cop. He is applying to KCMO but Wichita is hiring as well.

About us:
28 married, no kids but want kids, no house but want house, blue collar/clerical jobs, I'm bi-racial and he is Dominican.

I am not fond of Wichita but it would be helpful if locals could give me some ideas. Please don't tell me about the economy or anything, it's ok. I just want to know a local perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I think Wichita is an ok town. It's way too small for my liking, but it's a nice town and has some great areas. The riverfront downtown is pretty cool and they do have a few good museums and a nice little historic entertainment/residential district downtown. The area has some nice, suburban areas, nothing like KC, but they don't have the traffic and commutes that many KC suburbs have.

KC is only a few hours away and Oklahoma City is only a couple hours away for weekend trips.

Topeka is a freaking hellhole. Enough said.

The KC area is a much larger city than Wichita so you have a lot more to do and see, a big airport etc. the KC suburbs on both sides of the state line are probably where you would want to look. Overland Park and Lee's Summit are both great family oriented areas as is the Northland. You can live in a large upscale suburb that offers a mass variety of shopping, dining etc or a smaller more rural or residential suburb. Many of KC's suburbs are larger and offer more than the entire city of Wichita.

So it just depends on what you want. If you really want to get away from a large city like Miami, then Wichita might be the perfect place for you, and it really is a pretty nice city, especially for it being in the middle of Kansas. If you want a city that offers about the same entertainment and culture as Miami in a more laid back midwestern style, then the KC area would be good for you.

Sounds like you might like both areas though, so it might depend more on what kinds of jobs you get etc and how much you need to keep yourselves entertained.

We are constantly attending events like pro sports, broadway plays, concerts, festivals etc, so for me, I have to live in a city at least as large as KC. But I'm sure Wichita is fine for a lot of people that are not ADD like me

Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Wichita is a nice an all and I grew up there but the only places I would live in Kansas now are Douglas County (Lawrence) or Johnson County (KC). These the truly great places to live in Kansas and they are both close to Kansas City its shopping and cultural attractions which are far better than those in Wichita (soory but Towne East is not like Country Club Plaza). Also, if God forbid, you have a serious medical issue, Research and U of Kansas Med Centers are there.
I like Wichita and there is alot to be said for it- it is safe, has good schools and a low cost of living but the thing that scares me about Wichita is that it is a one industry town (aircraft) and if we get into a really nasty recession Wichita will feel it far worse than the KC area with its more diverse economy will.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Wichita is a nice an all and I grew up there but the only places I would live in Kansas now are Douglas County (Lawrence) or Johnson County (KC). These the truly great places to live in Kansas and they are both close to Kansas City its shopping and cultural attractions which are far better than those in Wichita (soory but Towne East is not like Country Club Plaza). Also, if God forbid, you have a serious medical issue, Research and U of Kansas Med Centers are there.
I like Wichita and there is alot to be said for it- it is safe, has good schools and a low cost of living but the thing that scares me about Wichita is that it is a one industry town (aircraft) and if we get into a really nasty recession Wichita will feel it far worse than the KC area with its more diverse economy will.
I would argue that Wichita still offers a good amount of entertainment, shopping, etc. for a city its size. Of course Kansas City has more occupational opportunities... it's also has 4 times the population that Wichita does. Don't downplay the city just because of that.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 PM

396 posts, read 998,872 times
"Many of KC's suburbs are larger and offer more than the entire city of Wichita."

I definately disagree with this seeing as Wichita has over 350,000 in the city proper and the largest suburb of the OP is 165000.

Really one can't even compare Wichita to any of the suburbs of KC. Wichita is more comprable to KCMO itself. OBVIOUSLY it is smaller and there are MANY differences but Wichita is an urban city with suburban areas the further you go out from the downtown core.

Both have great things going for them. If you want a larger size metro feel than go KC and live in Shawnee, Olathe, OP, lenexa etc. If you want a more mid-size metro feel but with still great culture (museums, arts etc) live in Wichita. Really you can't go wrong with either city you just gotta find the neighborhood for you.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM

20 posts, read 83,940 times
I would recommend KC area if you can. Keep in mind that taxes should be cheaper on the MO side. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita