Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliefight View Post
Here are my places of interest.

Austin, TX
Pros: Great weather. Lots of tech jobs. Affordable cost of living.
Cons: Not much to do but drink and surrounded by conservative areas.

Las Vegas, NV (when the economy recovers)
Pros: Good jobs, hot weather, plenty of drunk white women.
Cons: No rain or grass. That is kind of important to me.

Ft Lauderdale, FL
Pros: Ocean. Lots of jobs in nearby Miami.
Cons: Crime. High cost of living. No strong hockey programs or teams.
Desert landscaping is really nice. Personally that is why I like Vegas- no trouble with pollen and allergies in the spring there. Wish I lived there. As fot Ft Lauderdale- add hot as hell and humid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,441 times
Kevin,

The Austin comment isn't true. Austin has never been like the college town it's been portrayed to be for a very long time. 1 million people and everyone's a college guy? Not really. I hope that guy does more research on Austin and visits the town. There's more to do there than just drinking, IMHO.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Kevin,

The Austin comment isn't true. Austin has never been like the college town it's been portrayed to be for a very long time. 1 million people and everyone's a college guy? Not really. I hope that guy does more research on Austin and visits the town. There's more to do there than just drinking, IMHO.
Never been to Austin in my life. Lived in Dallas for a year. Hot enough there!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
As a liberal I very much disliked Austin. Politicians and business people are full of themselves .....and so is the city. No it is not "tolerant", people just ignore, avoid you, or rip you off if you are socially liberal, they don't make a huge stink about it and cuss you out or burn crosses in your yard though, everything is backhanded. People aren't as religious or church going but they will use religion against you to try to win arguments.

I disagree with the other person who said there is much more to do there besides drinking. Literally drinking, eating, swimming, cycling, long horn games, business trickery, and working is all people do there. Borrrrrrrrring. You can do that anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
you said Austin is conservative?...I'd think with UT and the capital, it'd be pretty tolerant of all kinds....don't they have that famous bumper sticker, "Keep Austin Weird"?.....

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-20-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 08:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Austin is still a traditional college town. The pseudo-liberalism there is just a facade to trick people into thinking Austin is "different", "weird", and "special" when it is not. The weather is horrible there. Humid, stuffy, and hot for over half of the year.

And OMG every mid-sized city in the USA has a whole foods. Let's be real.

Quote:
Austin ISN'T a college town...hasn't been since 1990. It has well over 1 million people who do different things. They have Whole Foods store..excellent store....Colorado river...etc.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Looking to relocate my family. You make Wichita sound wonderful! Imagine a city with such powers. Liberal life sucking powers. If we could only learn it's secret and harness that power we could make the world a better place!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:16 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,441 times
Whole Foods' headquarters is IN Austin. I've worked for them in the past at the warehouse.

Granted the weather is hot....in Texas. Either it's hot or hotter, ha. Seriously though...there are some parts of Texas that DOES get winter time winter. Mostly the Panhandle plus parts of West Texas.

As for Austin, it's best to visit before you start spouting nonsense. I do not comment about other towns unless I've been there so I won't look like an idiot if someone else says something different. A lot of times, people who move to a new place do not want to give the town a chance because they've missed their own place or grew up differently so they see it with a negative perspective. I know there are some people that always look at life with a negative perspective....my sister in law is one of them. Enuff said.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvlman View Post
Uh? in 2009, the "cowboy way" and small towns are as Conservative as you can get. Though the [LEFT]conservatives[/LEFT] in the small city of Hays, KS perpetually complain about the liberal Ellis County Democrats.

You might be surprised...

Obama voter:

Old 06-21-2009, 01:27 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Goaliefight..your comment about Austin is way off base:

Austin, TX
Pros: Great weather. Lots of tech jobs. Affordable cost of living.
Cons: Not much to do but drink and surrounded by conservative areas.

First of all, I lived in Austin for over 25 years. It is not affordable to live in. One bedroom apt that is 422 sq ft goes for $600 a month! Here in Wichita, you can rent a house for $600 a month. Jobs depend on what you want to do....high tech...depends on what your job is otherwise, no. Not much to do...oh please, they have over 300 miles of biking/hiking trails...heard they were adding 100 more miles soon. Boating, camping, swimming, etc....it's a very outdoorsy town with tons of restaurants and an excellent music industry..ever heard of SXSW? Movie stars have moved to Austin and established homes because people leave them alone..Sandra Bullock, Matthew...you get the idea. As for weather....we have a joke: it's either hot or hotter. Not kidding. It gets tiring after a while to sweat while you're walking from your car to the house.

Cheap housing? Nope. Houses go for a minimum of $150k or up. Heard the economy has caused the prices to fall somewhat. Do not go to work for Mr. Dell. He's a crook. He hires illegals under contract to another company so if he gets busted for it...it technically isn't his company so he doesn't get in trouble for it and those illegals earn $7 an hour even if they work OT. How do I know? I worked there. He also does other things that cause employees to leave even in good paying jobs...

Austin ISN'T a college town...hasn't been since 1990. It has well over 1 million people who do different things. They have Whole Foods store..excellent store....Colorado river...etc.
That sounds DIRT cheap to me. My brother is renting a studio 5th floor walkup in Boston that costs twice what a 1 bedroom in Austin would cost. I live in a Boston suburb known for being "cheap" and that's still over $300 cheaper than anything I could get.

Cheap is all relative.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Leu

11 posts, read 26,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Strange conservative politics was one of many reasons I left Kansas. Are you saying that Brownback IS running for governor? Hopefully, a good "qualified" candidate will run against him. Nothing is worse than a hypocritical, neo-conservative, socially conservative, and moralistic ideologue.
Kansas has done plenty of things to make outsiders feel very weary about moving there
Like.... canceling legislation for the Holcomb power plants for "global warming". Global warming isn't man made.

We're just going to go from one nutbag Leftist like Sebilias to a nutbag Rightist like Brownback.

It'd be nice if everyone would stop running Left Vs Right when they should be looking at the more dangerous one.... "Up vs Down", meaning Statist vs Libertarian. We've had nothing but statists for the last 50 years. Big government idiots that think they can do everything better than you can.

Unless that's the Liberal dream, which I would hope to god it's not, then you all need to wake up and smell some damned coffee.

And at OP: Wow. Hate to sound like an ass, but whine about something that is worth whining about? Just because someone's a conservative doesn't mean that they're not worth talking to. I'm a conservative leaning more towards Libertarian.

How you couldn't have a fun and enlightening conversation with someone like me is beyond me, unless you're closed minded. Also, Wichita has a very large population of liberals like yourself so you can pat yourself on the back with those of 'your kind'. ...You don't hang around WSU very often, do you?

There are TONS of liberals in Wichita. I suggest you stop the self pity and get out of the house and find them. I was ripping up $1 bills and handing out pieces for the Social Democratic of America students on the campus to prove a point much to their chagrin. Of course, they didn't get it. Utopia wannabes never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita