Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM

30 posts, read 167,168 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Wichita. Never been there and don't know much about it. Are there nice neighborhoods within a reasonable drive to Wichita Collegiate School and Koch headquarters (in the $235,000 to $275,000 range)? What areas would you recommend?

Anyone know the current tuition for Wichita Collegiate School? I'm expecting about $15,000. Is it considered the top school there?

Any other advice for a Wichita newcomer would be welcome too. Have a spouse and one child.

I would appreciate any comments. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 AM

145 posts, read 610,204 times
Wichita Collegiate School is very good as well as any of the Catholic schools. The neighborhoods are very nice in that area like Tallgrass. It takes 20 minutes to get to KOCH from Andover, they have nice neighborhoods, Collegiate is about 10-15 minutes away and they have a new top of the line YMCA and Dillions Marketplace(above avg grocery store)

Old 06-28-2009, 08:58 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,189,141 times
Unless you are trying to impress someone,or have high faluting tastes, LOL, you can get a decent house in Wichita , near Koch and Col. for way less than 235k-275k.... heck I will sell you mine less than that!
As always I recommend the NE side of town, east of Oliver and north of Kellog, that area is close to Koch and private schools. We've been here 2 yrs and it is a somewhat refreshing change from Atlanta and Miami.
Don't know a lot about the schools, but Col. is pretty pricey- okay, I reckon if that is your thang.

Nice thing about here is you can live cheaper and bank some money....or blow it and live high

good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Unless you are trying to impress someone,or have high faluting tastes, LOL, you can get a decent house in Wichita , near Koch and Col. for way less than 235k-275k.... heck I will sell you mine less than that!
As always I recommend the NE side of town, east of Oliver and north of Kellog, that area is close to Koch and private schools. We've been here 2 yrs and it is a somewhat refreshing change from Atlanta and Miami.
Don't know a lot about the schools, but Col. is pretty pricey- okay, I reckon if that is your thang.

Nice thing about here is you can live cheaper and bank some money....or blow it and live high

good luck!
Thanks for the input. Definitely not trying to impress anyone. Just trying to get a sense of how far the dollar goes there. I drive a Ford...With that says, I do have a budget of $275,000 max and I have no idea about the area so I was just trying to get a sense. Also, I have only 1 child so private school is something I can swing...Any idea of the tuition?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,508,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulMansour View Post
Any idea of the tuition?
No, but they make it pretty easy to ask questions:

Wichita Collegiate School[Contacts]

Old 06-30-2009, 02:36 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,189,141 times
Hey Raul, according to Petersons, COl tuit. is around 12,500- not sure if that is up to date or what grade levels. Independent may be around 9000. There are several private schools over here on the east side, parochial, Christian,etc.
You can certainly get a pretty decent house here...we could have gone up into the high 300ks but found very suitable for half.
If you do want to buy a house- watch out for 'specials', as I understand a added 'tax' the builders pass on to the buyers. Older neighborhoods don't have them, or are close to being paid off. Can really throw the monthly payment higher on new builds.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Hey Raul, according to Petersons, COl tuit. is around 12,500- not sure if that is up to date or what grade levels. Independent may be around 9000. There are several private schools over here on the east side, parochial, Christian,etc.
You can certainly get a pretty decent house here...we could have gone up into the high 300ks but found very suitable for half.
If you do want to buy a house- watch out for 'specials', as I understand a added 'tax' the builders pass on to the buyers. Older neighborhoods don't have them, or are close to being paid off. Can really throw the monthly payment higher on new builds.
Thanks to everyone for responding

Anyone have any insight on Koch? Quality of life / culture there? Thx

Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,173 times
Koch has a horrible reputation as a place to work, they treat their employees like crap and the turnover rate is ridiculous. Wichita does not have very many jobs and Koch takes advantage of this lack of competition and treats people accordingly. You can expect long hours with a complete disregard for any work/life balance, small or non existent raises and office politics and management that you would expect to find in a 3rd world sweatshop.

I would be very hesitant to uproot my family and move to Wichita if the only reason was a job at Koch. Without a compelling reason like being close to family in the area and a strong Plan B, I would not even consider it.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Koch has a horrible reputation as a place to work, they treat their employees like crap and the turnover rate is ridiculous. Wichita does not have very many jobs and Koch takes advantage of this lack of competition and treats people accordingly. You can expect long hours with a complete disregard for any work/life balance, small or non existent raises and office politics and management that you would expect to find in a 3rd world sweatshop.

I would be very hesitant to uproot my family and move to Wichita if the only reason was a job at Koch. Without a compelling reason like being close to family in the area and a strong Plan B, I would not even consider it.
Sco - thanks for the information. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 PM

145 posts, read 610,204 times
A friend of my husband works at Koch and yeah, they work pretty hard. Long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita