Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,827 times

Advertisements

Well First Of Im Hispanic And Im Wondering Of There Are A Lot Of Hispanics Or Latinos In Wichita Kansas?? And Im Wondering Were My Daughter Should Go To School At?? She Is Starting High School! Please Give Me Some Information! Were I Come Frm The Population Is Mostly Hispanic And Very Few Whites And Blacks So Im Wondering How It Is There! Please Give Me Some Info Thnx Alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 AM

188 posts, read 933,818 times
There are plenty of hispanics in Wichita, you will not feel alone here. Any of the schools should be OK for your daughter. More hispanics tend to live in the northwest part of town, if that helps any. But they live in all other parts of town, too, my next door neighbors in the southeast end of town were hispanic before I moved a couple of weeks ago.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,704 times
I grew up in Wichita and my family still lives there, and I agree that there are plenty of hispanics. I am not sure what age your daughter is and whether or not you would like her to be in a school that would have a lot of latino classmates. North High is definitely the school with the reputation for the most latinos and the campus is beautiful. The Riverside neighborhood along the Arkansas River is a very nice older neighborhood and is in the North High district. If she's into an academically rigorous type of program I would also recommend applying for the IB program at East High. I went through it and it served me very well for college preparation, though racial diversity in the program wasn't great 7-10 years ago but may be better now. The IB program is a magnet program so you can live anywhere within the school district and attend if you're accepted. These are both in the Wichita Public School district. Despite what you might hear to the contrary, west Wichita, especially west of 235, is pretty nice and is more affordable to buy a house in than the east side.

Last edited by SmitN; 06-30-2007 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
You should look into the Horace Mann dual language academy on North Market Street. It is a great school and has kids of all races.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 AM

150 posts, read 792,274 times
FYI "Worried"
In the 1990 Census, Kansas had approximately 44,000 Hispanic-surnamed people living there. By 2000...140,000! There will be many venues in Wichita for you to pursue, and enjoy your family's Latino culture.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM

30 posts, read 242,515 times
Right now it doesn't really matter where you live, the school board busses the kids whereever they feel like it. That topic is a hotly debated one at the moment and may change though. A former boss of mine moved away from wichita because of it. He lived on the North-West side of town and the schools were going to bus his daughter to the East side of town instead of sending her to the school 3 blocks from his house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
View detailed profiles of: