Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver View Post
The restart has been shortened to 24 hours
It has been a 24 hr restart for oilfield for many years. You need to look up fmcsa oilfield exemptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM

175 posts, read 459,831 times
Wish I did more than just drive at my school. Sometimes I feel like a tool not knowing things I think I should... if only they accepted AMEX... Anywho I'll be reading up on the "official manual" (The CFR section for trucking). It should be pretty interesting, to me anyway.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,925 times
Ok, so everything I have read so far has lead me to believe that it is still worth while to drive in the oil patch. I live in South Carolina and am currently considering taking a job in ND driving a water tanker. They have offered me $20 per hour, with $30 per diem(per day), 90 days housing available and $12.50 sub for pre and post trip inspections. They also offer a $1000 moving bonus if I decide to make my residence perminant and sign a 6 months employment agreement. 6 days on, 3 days off, 12 hour shifts. I want to know if this is a good deal compared to other local employers in the area, or should I keep looking?

Just so all of you know - I have 13 years experience, flawless safety record and MVR, over 1.2 million miles driving just about any type of equipment you can imagine.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMACKsc View Post
Ok, so everything I have read so far has lead me to believe that it is still worth while to drive in the oil patch. I live in South Carolina and am currently considering taking a job in ND driving a water tanker. They have offered me $20 per hour, with $30 per diem(per day), 90 days housing available and $12.50 sub for pre and post trip inspections. They also offer a $1000 moving bonus if I decide to make my residence perminant and sign a 6 months employment agreement. 6 days on, 3 days off, 12 hour shifts. I want to know if this is a good deal compared to other local employers in the area, or should I keep looking?

Just so all of you know - I have 13 years experience, flawless safety record and MVR, over 1.2 million miles driving just about any type of equipment you can imagine.
Your the type of driver that I wish more companies would hire around here! Good luck, sorry I can't help with knowing on the wage part. Sounds not bad to begin with especially getting the per diem.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 AM

23 posts, read 63,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMACKsc View Post

I've water tanks starting at 23 an hour. Why are they only offering $30 a day per diem? Per diem is about $50 a day. Tell them to not to worry about it and just try to claim enough to put yourself in the 16% tax bracket

Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 26,253 times
Yes there are different HOS rules in The Patch pertaining to duty status when waiting to load/unload. Keep in mind that it is a very costley criminal offence for a dispatcher or any officer of the company to advise you how to beat the HOS rules. They can only tell you how to run legal, or risk huge fines and jail time.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM

443 posts, read 806,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavegunner View Post
Yes there are different HOS rules in The Patch pertaining to duty status when waiting to load/unload. Keep in mind that it is a very costley criminal offence for a dispatcher or any officer of the company to advise you how to beat the HOS rules. They can only tell you how to run legal, or risk huge fines and jail time.
More often than not HOS rules are a CYA kind of thing. There is a complicit "Don't ask, don't tell" policy within the industry.
They'll instruct you to keep it legal but hand out assignments that can't be legally logged. They know that the brunt of the punishment is going to the driver for violations. After all, the driver is the "professional" and "should have known better".
Maybe some things will change with paperless logs.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:48 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
My DH just hired on with an outfit at $27.55 hr (water and sand), straight time, 60-90 hrs per week. Three weeks on, one off, "housing" is your sleeper.

He has similar experience, Mack. Fifteen years hauling ranch-related loads--equipment and hay on flatbeds, grain, buffalo and cattle in pots (after he and his horse would help gather that is lol) and a couple years hauling water and gravel for the county road dept.
I'm thinking you're looking a little low. And that's probably why they're insisting on the six month agreement, personally...

Last edited by itsMeFred; 02-02-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 AM

443 posts, read 806,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
My DH just hired on with an outfit at $27.55 hr, straight time, 60-90 hrs per week. Three weeks on, one off, "housing" is your sleeper.

He has similar experience, Mack. Fifteen years hauling ranch-related loads--equipment and hay on flatbeds, grain, buffalo and cattle in pots (after he and his horse would help gather that is lol) and a couple years hauling water and gravel for the county road dept.
I'm thinking you're looking a little low. And that's probably why they're insisting on the six month agreement, personally...
Team operation or single man? Sleeper "housing" isn't something I'd consider, especially if the truck is running 24 hrs/day. -But, to each his own.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Single. And frankly, if you're wanting as many hours as possible (and really, why is anyone in the oil patch if that isn't what they're after?) living in the sleeper would be the best way to do it. A shower token with a fuel fill and you're set. How is it any different than OTR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston