Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 11,435 times

Advertisements

hey thanx for the names i will check them out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
Default looking for work as truck trainee

ive been a resident of nd for 12years and i just decided for a career change im tired of dead end jobs i just recently got my cdl class a permit does anyone out there know of a company that would be willing to hire a trainee to learn to drive trucks im 37years old , i still play football with guys on weekend so im fit. i just need a liitle direction in pursuing this license holler if you hear me peace

Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 PM

49 posts, read 126,263 times
As a local, you should have no problem. Power Fuels would probably hire you, especially if you have your own housing. They might make you a swamper first until they felt you were ready to be on your own.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM

10 posts, read 26,254 times
Lots of opportunitys in The patch. Best way to find them is to meet-n-greet/knock on doors. Beware of MBI. There you are required to rat on at least 2 fellow drivers a month. They even furnish a little "rat book" with blanks to fill in for drivers name and unit # of driver being observed. What unsafe practice was he engaged in etc. At orientation they tell you the more reports you turn in the better. It is a ver impersonal work environment that does not foster camaraderie and brotherhood.. Everyone knows that at anytime they may be being spied on so a co-worker can meet their rat report quota. If you like being talked down to and treated like a child, you might find a home there. If you are an experienced professional owner/op or driver, you can find many better places to work just up the road. Places that will be glad you knocked on THEIR door and will treat you accordingly. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
Default pf alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

PowerFuels, btw, has some really mixed reviews out there, speaking of oil field gossip. I know a couple of drivers who work for them that aren't overly impressed...My husband works with several drivers who quit them to come work for the company he works for. Apparently they're having some growing pains lately.
what company does your husband work for??

Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
One of those on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tripp
Man I have to disagree with you on that. years ago it would have been the thing to do by asking what can I do for your company. But it has changed over the many years.. the company should be willing to say" this is what we are goingt to do for you". This would keep more productive drivers and they would stay longer, as opposed to jumping from company to company.
I tend to agree that the basics (wages/benefits/expectations) should be clear from the beginning. However, I think the old "what can I do for the company?" attitude should still be there. Those are the guys that get the raises, better jobs, more frequent hauls, etc.
That is, if it's obvious you want to further the success of your employer, then your employer is going to make it easier and more appealing for you to do so, KWIM?

Yeah, there are a lot of jobs available at any truck outfit on any given day. But at the same time, for every job that is filled, there is a stack of applicants who all just need a chance to prove their worth, too.
People have to prove themselves indispensable.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,514 times
We've have been running a few trucks in North Dakota hauling water for almost a year now, and I'd like to let anyone thinking of doing the same thing know what it has been like for us. We have been leased onto a few different companies, and those companies were very difficult to come by. It's even harder now to find companies that are actually leasing on owner operators. If you do happened to get leased on with a company, the work will probably not be consistent as most companies have their own trucks and will give the work to their own trucks before the owner operators. The pay has started to decrease for owner operators. We have had to turn down jobs because they do not even pay enough to cover our expenses.

If you do get paid by the company you are leased on for, it may not be for up to 60 days. If you get paid earlier, they usually take a higher percentage of the pay for themselves. Trucks break down a lot up here, and downtime is expensive, whether because the truck is broken down or because there is no work. Everything costs more than you think it will and takes longer than you think it will.

It has been extremely difficult trying to keep our trucks and drivers busy and expenses are very high. I would advise before spending money on equipment, educate yourself on what it's really like and maybe even hire on as a company driver before trying to come to North Dakota as an owner operator. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:36 PM

75 posts, read 162,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd oil View Post
We've have been running a few trucks in North Dakota hauling water for almost a year now, and I'd like to let anyone thinking of doing the same thing know what it has been like for us. We have been leased onto a few different companies, and those companies were very difficult to come by. It's even harder now to find companies that are actually leasing on owner operators. If you do happened to get leased on with a company, the work will probably not be consistent as most companies have their own trucks and will give the work to their own trucks before the owner operators. The pay has started to decrease for owner operators. We have had to turn down jobs because they do not even pay enough to cover our expenses.

If you do get paid by the company you are leased on for, it may not be for up to 60 days. If you get paid earlier, they usually take a higher percentage of the pay for themselves. Trucks break down a lot up here, and downtime is expensive, whether because the truck is broken down or because there is no work. Everything costs more than you think it will and takes longer than you think it will.

It has been extremely difficult trying to keep our trucks and drivers busy and expenses are very high. I would advise before spending money on equipment, educate yourself on what it's really like and maybe even hire on as a company driver before trying to come to North Dakota as an owner operator. Good luck!
Amen.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,589 times
MBI DOES NOT DO THAT. Maybe you got ratted on as you were doing dangerous unsafe things. Several of us work there and have NEVER EVER heard of such a thing. But then again NO matter where you go, your gonna hear good and bad crap, someone with a bone to pick or something to prove cuz they were tossed out the door so they will crap on thier old employer. There are plenty of companies that will hire newbies out of CDL school. Know 9 people who went to CDL school and landed jobs paying 20 plus an hour before they were done with school. Keep your chins up, people bashing you down and steering you away could be those who dont want more people here. It is cramped but ND is trying to compensate. As for owner operators, Half my town are O/O and make good money. They go to Canada alot and also do sweet crude here dumping in railcars. SO there are jobs for all.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,751 times
Thank you for posting ND oil driver.

I have some business things to take care of before I can do my CDL school. I have been very nervous and anxious about my chances of getting a job that will be good for me. So nice to get someone posting something positive on a message board.

I live in Spokane and get a chance to talk to lots of guys that have been in the Oil Patch. Just to pass on to other people who might be in my shoes. Some people I have talked to are still there and some have come back. ALL of them have said "get over there and you will make good money". It is not easy, it is not "cheap", it requires sacrifice, but it is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston