Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 AM

142 posts, read 417,386 times

Advertisements

Last year there was talk of a Menards coming to Williston. Has anyone heard anything? I asked a few Menards employees at our local Menards here in NW WI and was told that due to the lack of potential employees it's not going to happen. That is really sad as the goods they carry would be such an asset to the people in the patch. I was also told that Minot is their number one store. I'd think it's safe to bet that a Williston store would top the Minot one. Anyone know anything about Menards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Upnorth View Post
Last year there was talk of a Menards coming to Williston. Has anyone heard anything? I asked a few Menards employees at our local Menards here in NW WI and was told that due to the lack of potential employees it's not going to happen. That is really sad as the goods they carry would be such an asset to the people in the patch. I was also told that Minot is their number one store. I'd think it's safe to bet that a Williston store would top the Minot one. Anyone know anything about Menards?
We have one in Grand Forks....They were the only lumber yard in town that wouldn't use our 2000.00 vouchers for folks trying to rebuild after the flood. I shop there still, of course...but won't ever forget that. They are Canadian based company. I heard the same thing you mentioned, my renter told me last year, that they had been trying to put a Menard's in for two years....the construction folks keep running off to the oil fields. Not holding ny breath...

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
FYI: John Menard is American, and founder of Mendard's. Menard's is headquarted in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. As far as coming to Williston, according to the Williston Herald and Granite Peak, they are supposed to be breaking ground this spring as soon as Sand Creek Retail Center breaks ground. There are no roads or infrastructue in this development yet. The city commission and zoning will be voting on the annexation in their next meeting on the 24th according to some of the upcoming zoning hearings listed in the Herald. The 14plex theater, Menard's and 2 Valu Place hotels are supposedly the first confirmed tenants for this retail center. Time will tell I guess.

http://www.willistonherald.com/news/...871e3ce6c.html

http://www.granitepeakdev.com/downlo...eekExhibit.pdf

I'm also wondering if a new grocery store could be in the works for Williston as well? Maybe out in the Sand Creek Retail center. Cobrun's out of Minnesota is partnering with Econo Foods in Williston. There was a time a few years back where Econo was planning a new store on 26th near the "then" K-mart...but not sure what happened. Maybe this partnering has something to do with expansion? Just speculating on my end I guess.
http://www.willistonherald.com/news/...9bb2963f4.html

Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
FYI: John Menard is American, and founder of Mendard's. Menard's is headquarted in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
Richest person in the state of WI. Started the company from scratch.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Well, thanks for the correction. Wonder if they take the disaster vouchers in Minot?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 AM

10 posts, read 26,487 times
I'd just be curious to know if the grocery stores in Williston (Economart or Walmart) are still hiring shelf stockers, since I'd kinda prefer doing that as a starter job, and how much they're paying for that, and if they work anyone overtime for stocking. Also kinda curious to know if those Williston grocers are paying more for stockers than stores outside of Williston, like Dan's in Dickinson. I called there and talked to a manager, and he said they are paying from $8 - $12 an hour, depending on experience.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM

Yes, being a cheesehead I knew Menards was a WI based company. I'm busy here trying to get packed and the house ready to rent so I can get out to Watford to be with my hubby. Went to Menards to replace my kitchen cabinet hardware. Twenty pulls, FREE after rebate, $50 worth!!! I love the place! They now carry MUCH more food/grocery items along with more household/cleaning/laundry supplies and even have a nice appliance department. I worked with a gal who's mother is out in Minot working as a temp at that Menards as they have trouble getting employees even there.

That voucher story is a dirty shame Jan. Such a disappointment!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Well, it was hard to make that stretch, spending it at other higher priced lumber hardware stores. But, I suppose it had something to do w/ policies. Sounds like He must be a decent hardworking individual. I won't hold it to heart. We had lots of really wonderful philanthropic individuals that helped anyone that had flood damage. We are doing really well in Grand Forks.
I know Minot is going to go through years more of recovery. I sure hope folks get lots of rebuilding done this year, gotta be even harder w/ the boom employee competition.
Aside....It was a wonderful experience working in that field for 3 years here. Made me fall in love w/ N.D. folks, their spirit is so strong.
Anyway...back on topic. Hope you have found a nice place to live Julie...Watford is very small town America. Too bad you'll not be there for the Fourth of July....
I also hope that there will be a few more businesses, including stores opening in Watford. There is a thread I started a few weeks ago about a refinery opening north of Watford, more jobs, maybe more businesses.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 AM

My husband has been there for nearly 2 years. At first he lived in our pop-up camper. By October it began to get chilly, hubby actually put his long johns in the microwave to warm them before wearing them, LOL! A few days later he got into housing through his employer. We hope to be there for about 10 years when hubby retires.
I spent just one week in WC last August and I really enjoyed myself. I love the home spun feeling there. It's VERY apple pie. The young people were hard working and respectful, something you rarely see now days. I know this has been a good time/bad time with this boom happening so fast but like I have said to a few out there, "this is a problem MANY American towns would LOVE to have!"
This boom has changed many lives, including ours, in a big way. Unlike many that come there, we were not on our last dime but to know we can actually afford to retire someday, and God willing, have gainful employment until then.
Our youngest son is also out there, working for the same company as his father since January. His girlfriend came out a month later. Both are really working hard and probably will not make a life out there but the income they are generating will lay the groundwork for a promising financial future.
I hope the housing situation gets much better soon as I know many people who would love to come west and be part of this. The lack of housing is holding them back.
I still need to get some answers about other services and such in the Watford area. My first being medical services. I know there is a clinic and a small hospital but can where does a woman go for a mammogram? As a breast cancer survivor, I need a digital mamm done and not sure if that is available there yet. I have also not heard of a "Newcomers Club". We joined one when we moved to this area of NW WI over 30 years ago and it was really helpful in getting to know people. If there is not one there I guess I would be willing to get one going.
We'd also like to buy a home there but not sure if that will be a reality anytime soon. Once I get out there I will better be able to work on that too. Hubby works so much that his limited time has not even allowed him a chance to get Dish or internet. He comes back to WI for his week off but once I am out there we will be staying "closer to home".
I would just like to add that this forum has been a heap of help to a lot of folks and I applaud those of you that take the time to answer the questions they post. Thank you for that!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Ok, so everyone in Williston seems to agree that we need another retailer that can compete with WalMart. Not just groceries, but general household items too. A lot of people are pushing for a Target... but I just don't think that's realistic. When I lived in Utah the area I lived in had over 100,000 people and Target wouldn't build up there. I don't see Target coming to an area this small.

Now... because of where North Dakota is I'm not sure which company would move in, but I was thinking something like a Kroger or Meijer store would be great. Both have stores that offer groceries AND things like clothes, electronics, etc. The other thing that's nice about Kroger and Meijer is that, unlike WalMart, Albertsons, and Economart, they offer in store coupons and allow you to use them with manufacturer coupons. WalMart is by far the cheapest place in town to get groceries but even then they're pricey and constantly running out of items. I think having a grocery store that is comparable with WalMart prices or even lower if you are able to use coupons and deals would benefit the community, especially for those who don't work in the oilfield.

What do you guys think? Target... or something else?

Also - I think a Kroger or Meijer is a lot more realistic.
The town I live in in NW WI is under 30K people and we have had a Target for many years. Plus, there is also a Target in a neighboring town. You never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston