Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakthetruth View Post
Umm actually I am native and I beileve it snowed in October and we a huge storm May 1st, and the snow didn't melt for a week after. So if I do my math correctly that is 8 months.
If you are a native... then you should fully understand what's going on and not be so surprised or grossed out. I have a hard time believing you're a native.

And while the first snow may have been in October, it didn't stick. When we went out on Halloween night it was chilly but not winter cold, it was normal fall weather. Before the snow fell in May we had some nice warm days in April. So those wouldn't count as winter either. Therefore, your conclusion that it's winter 8 months out of the year is factually inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
Lol!
Sorry, that was for the zombie remark.
We should clarify water soaked zombies..just having a little fun.
Hey if this oil field gets us off the Arab oil bus, then I am all for it!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakthetruth View Post
For all of you with concerns about moving to Williston, I'd rather make $8.50 an hour at the local McDonalds than relocate to that cesspool. Yes there is a boom going on and yes you can make $35 an hour but it isn't work the trouble that Williston offers.

10 REASONS WHY NOT TO RELOCATE TO WILLISTON

1. It's dirty. When you have no history with a city why keep it clean? There is trash everywhere. Just walking down the street you'll see a plethora of beer cans and fast food containers. THIS ISN'T SOMETHING COMMON FOR NORTH DAKOTA WHICH IS A CLEAN STATE.

2. Traffic. The infrastructure was not designed to host this amount of people. The roads are horrible, traffic is horrendous and many do not know how to drive in the winter.

3. Everywhere is busy. Whether you want to grab McDonalds or Applebees for dinner, expect a wait. Not just a usual wait, but a long wait. Families can't even enjoy a nice night out because it's packed with oil field workers and truck drivers.

4. Speaking of busy, don't even attempt to go to Wal-Mart at a decent hour. You have been warned, WAL-MART IS ALWAYS BUSY. Not only is it busy, they can't keep anything on the shelves. Expect to find nothing on your list. Lines at Wal-Mart can be 10-15 people deep and there are usually a maximum of 6 checkout lanes open.

5. Pride. Apparently just because you work at a rough and tough job that means you don't need to take any pride in your appearance. You will see numerous people showing up to restaurants and stores with dirty fingernails, clothes, workboots, dirt on their faces, etc. It's disgusting.

6. Local hangouts. Good luck finding somewhere to hang out. The men seem to hangout at the Strip Club and have no problem spending their hard earned income they can't make anywhere else on some ugly, disgusting women.

7. Housing. There is nowhere to live unless you are willing to dish out top dollar for a ****ty apartment or rental unit. If you can't find a place to live there is always RV parks or you can live in a tent at the local parks.

8. Racism. Williston isn't really a diversity hotbed and they often have trouble accepting anyone who doesn't share their Scandinavian roots. There are numerous cars/trucks driving around town with Confederate Flags. Apparently Williston didn't get the memo that it's 2011.

9. Hot windy summers and long (8 months), cold winters. You may think you know cold but you don't know what -30 feels like with a blistering wind. If you can't handle the cold for long periods of time this place is for sure not for you.

10. Out of the biggest North Dakota cities (5,000 +), Williston ranks last for healthcare, living expenses, recreation, and diversity.

Make the right choice and DON'T move to Williston, North Dakota.
Are you done now? Best thing to do is not move there if you don't like it.

I'm not moving to Williston, and I don't want to bother commenting on all of your words, so I'll just comment on the "biggies" (which are the same tired old complaints):

Cold: Yeah, it's cold. Buy a better coat.

healthcare: Is there a doctor in town? Good enough. I don't need a hospital on every corner. It used to be folks wanted a bar on every corner. Now it's a hospital. The word "obsessed" comes to mind.

recreation: If you can't find anything to do with yourself, that's your fault.

diversity: Who cares? Personally, I don't really care if martians are living next door. Neither do I care if they are not. That's their business, not mine. Diversity, or lack thereof, means absolutely nothing to me. But, that's just me--I get really tired of the word "diversity," which is meaningless unless you are constantly nosing in everyone else's business.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,319 times
Roloff, Im born and raised ND and williston is a sh**hole, defend it all you want. That wont make it a good place to live. It is the most undesirable large city in the state to live in. The locals complain all the time. You go on loving your city Maybe if you keep saying it everyone will believe you

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-08-2011 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: edit a word.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,281 times
NDforlife...from someone coming from the zip code of 58601 (Dickinson)...I wouldn't be to quick to judge Williston! lol Considering both towns are basically the same as far as the number of people and the types of people (oil industry). Williston doesn't have a mini mall like Prairie Hills, but at least you don't have to drive an hour or more to put a speed boat in a lake.
And please don't even bring up Patterson pond. lol

Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM

979 posts, read 3,668,281 times
K K Korner is seriously NOT anything to do with white supremicsts or anything like that. The family who owned it had the initials of K and K and because the bar is on a corner, they change the C to a K. But it is kind of ironic. But anyway, this bar has been fighting the "racist" tag associated with the name for years. I am pretty sure anyone of ethnicity is welcome in the K K Korner bar.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:34 PM

203 posts, read 602,265 times
It's a boomtown: the country clubs and Junior League show up a few years later. My guess is you're young, and are new to oil towns. Odessa, TX was the same way during the eighties. I drive through 2-3 times year on my way to skiing. Yes, the area off the highway is commercial, but I've seen nice neighborhoods near the college.

Having grown up during the 80's oil boom, I'm still surprised by those who want boomtown salaries, but think they deserve urban amenities. Pissed off, lady? Shoulda married a lawyer, prof, or doctor.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:16 PM

22 posts, read 118,209 times
My buddy who lives in a man camp near Williston got bitten twice within a two week period by a brown recluse spider. Not a pretty sight thats for sure!!!!!1

Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM

198 posts, read 399,976 times
Yes, ridiculous posting about Williston, especially when it's in the middle of a boom.

....I say this to Williston folks. When you are riding on a fast train, you don't have time to stop and throw stones at every dog that barks!!! (Sometimes you really do need to clear a little the path though.)

The only disclaimer to that. Except for the appearance of a dixie flag (It is institutional ( unintentional but not nice) racism and offends.) Which the above poster pointed out was see on an out of state car and not something ND people have any reason to do or support!

Williston, keep on working hard. Yes!!!

Last edited by Mclaurin; 08-01-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 08-01-2011, 04:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreybn View Post
My buddy who lives in a man camp near Williston got bitten twice within a two week period by a brown recluse spider. Not a pretty sight thats for sure!!!!!1
That's highly unlikely since brown recluse spiders aren't in Williston (I don't think they are even in North Dakota). They are in the southeast US, chances are he was bit by something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston