Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 04:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,886 times

Advertisements

I been living in Minot ND for 4 years now and recently decided to pursue a trucking career. I Just obtain my CDL class A permit. I have several questions on how to proceed from here. 1) Is there any companies that will hire me with the permit? 2) Is there anyone in the area with a truck for a class A road test that is willing to rent it and if possible give me some pointers? 3) If and when I get my class A CDL, what is the best places to apply with no exp. so entry level position? Any advice that can help will be appreciated. thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 04:31 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
How did you get your permit?
Have you actually driven a semi?
What sort of entry level are you looking for?
Can you get all the legal documents necessary to deliver to any Federal Port?
Can you get a Passport?
Are you over the age of 21?
Can you get all of the endorsements?
Do you know what air brakes are?
Do you know what a jake brake is and the proper use of one?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Through the DMV here in minot, ND
I have but here there for a company i used to work for. But i never had a CDL
Just a job were i can get some exp
I guess i have to look in to that. I dont see why not
I have a passaport
yes
I dont have them but i can
yeah i have air brakes in my permit
I believe that is an engine brake. I never use one but i understand the concept of an engine brake

Old 08-16-2014, 04:44 AM

I know there is a school here in minot. I try contacting them to figure how it works cause truly i don't have any idea of they can do for you. wether they supply a truck for the road test or not. But i havent got an answer back from them yet. i am going to try again in monday.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsweeney View Post
I know there is a school here in minot. I try contacting them to figure how it works cause truly i don't have any idea of they can do for you. wether they supply a truck for the road test or not. But i havent got an answer back from them yet. i am going to try again in monday.

As far as I know there is not a trucking school that will allow you to borrow or rent one of their trucks to get your actual license.
If you attend the school and pay them for training I'm sure it is different.
From what I understand if you do go to one of the training schools there are companies who will recruit those who do well in the school.
I really don't know for sure though but the school should be able to give you the information you need.

I did not word the one question properly so let me ask it again, are you looking for tank experience or van experience?
If you want tank experience do you want to haul chemicals, propane, diesel fuel, gasoline, heating oil, food grade, asphalt, anhydrous ammonia, herbicide?
That will make a difference in the companies you want to seek.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 AM

yeah i am going to try to call them on monday again. I was looking at prices online right now for the average school, scary!!! I think i might be better off finding someone that needs help and is willing to train me. Sort of a trade of work for training. I dont make money but at least i dont lose money i dont have either.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
yeah i am going to try to call them on monday again. I was looking at prices online right now for the average school, scary!!! I think i might be better off finding someone that needs help and is willing to train me. Sort of a trade of work for training. I dont make money but at least i dont lose money i dont have either.

You might try talking to a local farmer and see if he would be willing to teach you how to drive a covered wagon for him.
You might find someone willing to do that or go with the driving school.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 AM

thanks a lot for the help. Yeah i think my best best is trading my labor for driving exp with someone. farmer sounds like a mart idea. thanks again.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,556 times
Quote:
thanks a lot for the help. Yeah i think my best best is trading my labor for driving exp with someone. farmer sounds like a mart idea. thanks again.
Not to discourage but remember bad habits are hard to break...the only other piece of advice I would render is that to be very cautious of these large trucking companies that offer "free" training. It is very easy to research the problems, personal and financial that well intended new licensees encounter once entrapped in that scenario....do your research !

Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM

65 posts, read 117,369 times
Add a tanker endorsement to your permit and go to Bismarck or Dickinson to get your TSA threat assessment completed so you will be eligible to take the hazmat endorsement test (which can be done once you pass the road test and obtain your CDL). Be sure to get your DOT physical card so you're not restricted to ND only. The big dogs go interstate. All of this will put you ahead of a lot of candidates. Further, while drivers are still in demand during the summer, many positions get filled by seasonal snow birds who leave when the weather changes for the cold again. A company might be more willing to give you training and a shot this fall which is coming fast. Also consider getting the road test done in a straight truck (wireline, for example) and move up in class down the road. Williston has a job fair coming up and that would be a good spot to sell yourself. Halliburton and Nabors are a couple of outfits having hired and trained permit holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston