Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 AM

73 posts, read 205,756 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the expenses are driven up by the demand and it's getting out of hand there; I guess find that hole in the wall place/bar with cheap beer and wings, shop around where you can.

Here in Oklahoma City, I'm paying $460/mo. for a "furnished" 1 bedroom studio that includes cable TV and a beautiful in ground swimming pool on the grounds all with manicured rose garden and community setting sidewalks! Cici's pizza, best pizza in Oklahoma City, you buy a large pizza with 1 topping for $6.50, some bars, hole in the wall type places here offer a bucket of beer and ice, 4-12oz. bottles of domestic for $5.00, that's right four for five bucks. I hope it's not sticker shock when I arrive in Williston later this week, LOL.

Then the reality here is there are very few good paying jobs now unless one can access the oil and gas industry work locally. Chesapeake Energy locally here gets 18,000, that's right eighteen thousand job applications a month and that came from a recruiters mouth here in OKC. The reality is….many jobs equals high demand for rent, food and services!

TonyD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:52 PM

203 posts, read 602,326 times
Lots of complaints about Williston cost of living, none about the pay. The inflationary aspect of the boom town extends to Minot. We have bulletin boards around town offering oil jobs to those w/ no experience, and housing, food, beer costs more than upstate NY. As someone who has lived through oil booms, it's pretty typical.

Sunday's paper said we had 200+ wells, and someone from the state said we needed 30,000 wells to fully tap the Bakken. I'm buying National Oilwell Varco stock!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:44 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
^ Wow!!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertrev View Post
Lots of complaints about Williston cost of living, none about the pay. The inflationary aspect of the boom town extends to Minot. We have bulletin boards around town offering oil jobs to those w/ no experience, and housing, food, beer costs more than upstate NY. As someone who has lived through oil booms, it's pretty typical.

Sunday's paper said we had 200+ wells, and someone from the state said we needed 30,000 wells to fully tap the Bakken. I'm buying National Oilwell Varco stock!
200 drilling rigs, not "wells". The state says 33,000 wells to be drilled. Harold Hamm says 50,000. Either way this should be around a while. Many more stocks to buy that just NOV. Check out Million Dollar Way (All Bakken All The Time) (not my site but I do religiously follow it)

Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,465 times
I am currently living in the Philadelphia area and seriously considering making my way out to the Williston area. I have been doing some research and am prepared for the long cold winters, high prices and all the other problems a boom town brings with it.

My question is: Will I be able to easily find a job, preferably one that provides housing, a man camp is fine? I have no experience but am willing to learn and work hard. I have graduated high school and went to college for 2 years. I have alot of debt so I am looking for one of those high paying jobs that require no experience. Can somebody help me out with info or tips? What is the proper way to go about this?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 AM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
If you are adventurous try this:

Book a round trip Amtrak ticket to Williston, it arrives about 11am.

From the depot its 6 blocks to the Job Service office, and 5 blocks to SOS staffing, which does a lot of hiring in the oilfield.

SOS Staffing (http://www.sosstaffing.com/prreader/index.php?post_id=73 - broken link)

SOS Staffing

Bring comfortable steel toe work boots and a warm jacket, as it's getting colder there now.

If you need to get around, there are car rental places nearby, so some money to carry you to payday, and a credit card would be a good idea. Make sure the car is comfortable enough for you to sleep in for a night or two, if you need it. If all fails, use your return ticket.

Or you could just apply to some jobs online that you find at SOS, Job Service and through the Williston Shopper. But actually being there and ready to work will probably get you a job pretty fast.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra dweller View Post
If you are adventurous try this:

Book a round trip Amtrak ticket to Williston, it arrives about 11am.

From the depot its 6 blocks to the Job Service office, and 5 blocks to SOS staffing, which does a lot of hiring in the oilfield.

SOS Staffing (http://www.sosstaffing.com/prreader/index.php?post_id=73 - broken link)

SOS Staffing

Bring comfortable steel toe work boots and a warm jacket, as it's getting colder there now.

If you need to get around, there are car rental places nearby, so some money to carry you to payday, and a credit card would be a good idea. Make sure the car is comfortable enough for you to sleep in for a night or two, if you need it. If all fails, use your return ticket.

Or you could just apply to some jobs online that you find at SOS, Job Service and through the Williston Shopper. But actually being there and ready to work will probably get you a job pretty fast.

Thanks for the info Tundra. I am actually thinking about driving out there sometime next week. I am prepared to live in my car for a little bit.

I tried to apply for some jobs on SOS but the problem I had is that they ask if you have had a DUI in the past 36 months and I had one 2 years ago. They will not even let me apply by answering yes to this.

Are most of the companies like this and not going to hire me because of my past DUI? This is really the only worry I have getting employment. I can pass a drug test and have never been a criminal.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
I can only take an educated guess, but from what I understand, SOS does a lot of hiring for a lot of the larger service rigs, like Halliburton. That means that they will hire you as entry level, but they want you to get a CDL sometime after you are hired so you can drive the trucks that haul their equipment from site to site. These are the type of companies that need a ton of people and they have the money to pay a professional recruiter for each hire. Your smaller companies won't go through SOS, they will put something on job service, or in the Williston Shopper. They might not require you to get a CDL and decisions will most likely be made on a case-by-case basis. You might still get a job rather quickly there, but probably in a position that doesn't require you to drive any company vehicles, as the companies insurance policies probably won't allow that.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 17,850 times
Can anyone tell me which companies will hire someone who has a DUI within the last 3 years? I see several companies that are looking for 'eletronics technician'. What kind of troubleshooting would someone with those qualifications be qualified for?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,497 times
So and o/o stands to make good money hauling sand.. Should one bring a pneumatic and what companys are hiring owner operators.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston