Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 PM

6 posts, read 29,893 times

Advertisements

Working about 10 to 11 hours a day, scheduled for 5 days per week right now. Started at $17/hour (with previous experience). Very labor-intensive type work. Have already seen a few people leave and not return in the short amount of time since beginning work here (2 days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times
Labor intensive, like what? Can you be more descriptive of your duties? I am a sanitation worker, we pick up 12-15 tons of trash per day by hand.
I have been reading a few posts about this boom out there, and while I am not looking to leave my job, I am curious about what ch'all are doing as far as physical labor.
Thank you in advance for any enlightenment! And best wishes!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperland View Post
Working about 10 to 11 hours a day, scheduled for 5 days per week right now. Started at $17/hour (with previous experience). Very labor-intensive type work. Have already seen a few people leave and not return in the short amount of time since beginning work here (2 days).
My husband is pretty hardcore when it comes to over working he use to work on boats in Alaska whee sometimes he worked 20 hour shifts, my question though is there a lot of people with campers there? We were really hoping my husband would get a job with housing but he still is determined and wondering on camper situation. Again in cold he worked on boats in alaska so cold is not a issue but am wondering where you park it and how much, and also if you work at jobsite how do you get there everyday?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
Still in the mancamp, have a good lead on an apartment that may be more suitable. Very bad housing situation here with the large amount of people entering the area. Got the weekend off, then it looks like 6 days on and 1 day off. Have a good weekend.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM

231 posts, read 873,002 times
This was uploaded about 2 days ago. A good look at what's going on from a guy who just relocated.

Jobless seek work in North Dakota - YouTube

Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
What is scarey, is just what the young guy said. Western ND is about the only place left (with the exception of a few pockets in the rest of the country) where there are so many jobs available. The influx of desperate people, could lend to other problems. But I don't blame anyone for wanting to come here and bettering themselves. CNN will be in western ND next week, getting stories for their calbe news channel. CNN, together with NBC, CNBC, New York Times, LA times, etc... I'm afraid we are going to see even a greater influx of people looking for a job. But, at least these guys WANT to work!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM

88 posts, read 220,160 times
I'll be finished with my CDL by the end of first week of November, and then I'm heading up that way. I'm hoping that having a CDL will help me land a job more quickly. I've been out of work for more than a year, and the oil & gas industry is going to be new for me as well. I've been in sales within the coatings/construction industry since 1991, suddenly a larger company buys the smaller company that I worked for and I'm S.O.L.! I really don't care about the long hours, I'll take as many as I can get! I'm venturing into new territory because, as ROLOFF1976 said, I want to work! The pay is supposed to be great, once you get into over time, the bills are piling up and the last thing that I want is to have my family living at my folks house. I've done that already and didn't think it was that fun! I know that I'm coming at the start of the frosty season, but I want to work!

See you in November!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM

142 posts, read 417,365 times
Good luck to you ShagKing. Smart to have a CDL out there. Lots of trucks out there needing drivers. Hubby has been in the Bakken for a year and a half. The money is AWESOME. Housing is difficult and it's best to leave the family back home for now. Ask them to be patient. Your hard work will pay off!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,002 times
hey, demka...so how's the oil industry job market there?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Just remember there are plenty of jobs in the Eastern part of North Dakota also. May not pay quite as well, but you don't have to live in your car either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston