Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:19 AM

231 posts, read 873,002 times

Advertisements

It's not a moral issue.

It's a money issue.

drug testing = lower insurance premiums

Money in the pockets for workers, companies, and insurance providers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Same company you hate for drug testing would be sued tomorrow if someone who used drugs caused an accident that hurt other people...

Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Spare me from your propaganda. You're a prohibitionist, plain and simple. I would never, ever hire you, and I certainly would not do business with you. You probably also believe that terrorists really, really are planning to attack us with model airplanes.
LOL

Propaganda? It's the facts, and if you don't like them that's simply too bad. But I think it's sad that you think it's OK for someone to go to work high or drunk, especially considering that those people cause 40% of work fatalities. Their recklessness kills people, and you appear to have no problem with that. Their rights to destroy their own lives apparently gives them the right to destroy someone else's? I don't think so.

AND next time you want to assume what I think, you should really stop yourself. I believe that most recreational drugs should be legalized. Do what you want to do with your life, it's none of my business. Honestly, if marijuana was legalized I'd probably use it the same way I currently use alcohol - once or twice a year when my daughter is in someone else's care.

I'm also EXTREMELY involved politically and I don't think we should have troops in Iraq at all and think our military in presence Afghanistan should be drastically reduced. I'm a registered independent who 80% of the time leans to the left.

Want to try again so I can just prove you wrong... again?

BTW, I couldn't care less if you'd never hire me, I would never want to work for someone who takes their employee's safety so lightly.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
LOL

Propaganda? It's the facts, and if you don't like them that's simply too bad. But I think it's sad that you think it's OK for someone to go to work high or drunk, especially considering that those people cause 40% of work fatalities. Their recklessness kills people, and you appear to have no problem with that. Their rights to destroy their own lives apparently gives them the right to destroy someone else's? I don't think so.

AND next time you want to assume what I think, you should really stop yourself. I believe that most recreational drugs should be legalized. Do what you want to do with your life, it's none of my business. Honestly, if marijuana was legalized I'd probably use it the same way I currently use alcohol - once or twice a year when my daughter is in someone else's care.

I'm also EXTREMELY involved politically and I don't think we should have troops in Iraq at all and think our military in presence Afghanistan should be drastically reduced. I'm a registered independent who 80% of the time leans to the left.

Want to try again so I can just prove you wrong... again?

BTW, I couldn't care less if you'd never hire me, I would never want to work for someone who takes their employee's safety so lightly.
Prove me wrong? When? Your stats are pure BS. 40% of fatalities drug/alcohol related? This is employer spin. The largest percentage of employee fatalities come from dangerous industries like logging and construction. Employers love to find any excuse not to be held liable for an employee death. I put about as much faith in that statistic as the 1 and 4 woman are raped at college stat that NOW loves to spout off. Also, why are you turning this in to an argument about workers on the job? I never said it was acceptable to come to work high or drunk. In the case that someone was suspected of being drunk or under the influence on the job I would actually agree with some sort of testing. I have a problem with pre-employment and random screen that is without cause. Big difference.

As others have mentioned, this really is more about the insurance industry than anything else. In some cases it is unfair to put the blame on employers, when the insurers and the government often mandate the testing. Still, that doesn't make it right. In the case of the government mandate it does become a constitutional issues. The FAA and the DOT both mandate testing of employees of controlled industries, sometimes to the point of being ludicrous. If you doubt me, do a quick google search on the sole proprietor who is in hot water with the FAA for not instituting an approved random drug testing policies at his company. He is the only employee, but somehow he is required to surprise himself with a random test.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 10-02-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Same company you hate for drug testing would be sued tomorrow if someone who used drugs caused an accident that hurt other people...
I'm not denying that, but it doesn't make it right. You assume liability when you run a business. Violating employee rights to cover your *ss doesn't solve the issue. Companies are using the same arguments to try and gain access to medical records. They can also be liable if someone that is borderline schizo goes ballistic and kills someone, so should they have access to everyone's mental health history? Freedom has a price, sometimes sh*t happens.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 AM

231 posts, read 873,002 times
People are free to apply elsewhere.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 PM

182 posts, read 478,314 times
I had a coffee shop quite a while back. I didn't do drug testing. I just expected them to show up and be sober at work. One girl started miscounting the money and one of my regular customers showed me the change she gave back was inaccurate. It was suppose to be a 5 not a 50 given back. So I popped her with a random from the clue given. She tested positive. I just informed her that she not show up stoned to work. From then on it was good. I have no problem with people using it to sleep, or relax on time off. It is equal to alcohol to me. Just you better not show up to work that way. Other drugs I don't forgive so much.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 PM

58 posts, read 193,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
I had a coffee shop quite a while back. I didn't do drug testing. I just expected them to show up and be sober at work. One girl started miscounting the money and one of my regular customers showed me the change she gave back was inaccurate. It was suppose to be a 5 not a 50 given back. So I popped her with a random from the clue given. She tested positive. I just informed her that she not show up stoned to work. From then on it was good. I have no problem with people using it to sleep, or relax on time off. It is equal to alcohol to me. Just you better not show up to work that way. Other drugs I don't forgive so much.
i used to work construction , and most of the hard workers smoked dope . i never cared becuase they never stank of alcohol , the guys that drank where the ones i never liked ..... heck the company i worked for knew which where users , they never got drug tested becuase the company knew they pulled there wieght and more ... however i was always getting pulled for testing since they knew i was clean and they had to meet there qouta for insurance ....

Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
So these folks endangered you in the work place. They jeopordized your life and limb on a day to day bases? Think about it.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
So these folks endangered you in the work place. They jeopordized your life and limb on a day to day bases? Think about it.
Who? In construction? What about vast majority of people how are subjected to testing who spend their days sitting at a desk? Are they "endangering" people? From what, a paper cut?

For all of you prohibitionists, the timing of this thread couldn't have been better. Ken Burns excellent documentary "Prohibition" is airing this week on PBS. I suggest you watch it. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston