Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi

Here is by far the best site I know of to look at normals (temp/precip/snowfall) for all the various stations in the country.

UNITED STATES CLIMATE NORMALS 1981-2010

You can choose to pick monthly normals or daily normals. Then click on a state and it will show normals for all the climate stations out there. Some stations are cooperative observer stations that may only do temperature or precipitation or both. Airport stations would have all.

Great resource.... The person who runs Golden Gate weather page is a former NWS met, now a certified consulting meteorologist in the San Francisco area. All data comes from the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, NC. They are the only ones who issues these normals and is the official climate record data place.

Dan
Thanks so much Dan, this is exactly the info I was looking for.

If I look at Williston around mid to late November, it looks like the average minimum for the days is dropping a half degree per day! That's a pretty fast decline in temperature.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi

Here is by far the best site I know of to look at normals (temp/precip/snowfall) for all the various stations in the country.

UNITED STATES CLIMATE NORMALS 1981-2010

You can choose to pick monthly normals or daily normals. Then click on a state and it will show normals for all the climate stations out there. Some stations are cooperative observer stations that may only do temperature or precipitation or both. Airport stations would have all.

Great resource.... The person who runs Golden Gate weather page is a former NWS met, now a certified consulting meteorologist in the San Francisco area. All data comes from the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, NC. They are the only ones who issues these normals and is the official climate record data place.

Dan
You always provide so much great info. Maybe do a thread with this link, and some of the others that I have seen you post recently. It would be a great planning resource for folks thinking they want to relocate up here eventually. And eye opening for folks who still think, very foolishly in my opinion, they can camp out in the extreme temps N.D. can get in winter.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You always provide so much great info. Maybe do a thread with this link, and some of the others that I have seen you post recently. It would be a great planning resource for folks thinking they want to relocate up here eventually. And eye opening for folks who still think, very foolishly in my opinion, they can camp out in the extreme temps N.D. can get in winter.
There is a thread. Something like this would be great in the Weather Alert thread that is a sticky.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM

73 posts, read 202,925 times
Another Texan bites the dust. The 2nd Texan in as many days that is going back home due to the cold weather. Both guys worked on the rigs but the cold is booting everyone who lives in warmer climates out of here.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
Another Texan bites the dust. The 2nd Texan in as many days that is going back home due to the cold weather. Both guys worked on the rigs but the cold is booting everyone who lives in warmer climates out of here.
Here is the way that I see it. You folks that have come up, taken a look around are better prepared for when you come back in the spring. Look at it this way, you learned much more of the ropes now, like what to wear, who to talk too. You can go home, and prepare for coming back, trade your car for a more suitable one, if you need. Save up a bit, keep in contact w/ the friends you made and when you come back, if that is your desire you will be ready and able, and more successful. It is much smarter to allow your body to acclimate. Meantime, you know what clothes you will need for next winter, and for the oil field work in general. The Company folks that you met this time around will think you are much smarter, when you remind them at your next visit, that you were smart enough to go home, due to the lack of housing and they will proubibly respect you for your intelligence. Good luck and God bless

Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There is a thread. Something like this would be great in the Weather Alert thread that is a sticky.
I added the post and link about Climate Normals to the sticky

Dan

Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Here is the way that I see it. You folks that have come up, taken a look around are better prepared for when you come back in the spring. Look at it this way, you learned much more of the ropes now, like what to wear, who to talk too. You can go home, and prepare for coming back, trade your car for a more suitable one, if you need. Save up a bit, keep in contact w/ the friends you made and when you come back, if that is your desire you will be ready and able, and more successful. It is much smarter to allow your body to acclimate. Meantime, you know what clothes you will need for next winter, and for the oil field work in general. The Company folks that you met this time around will think you are much smarter, when you remind them at your next visit, that you were smart enough to go home, due to the lack of housing and they will proubibly respect you for your intelligence. Good luck and God bless
While this is all good advice, there are many people I would think who put up everything they had to go there, given up jobs and some had no jobs even, so this option can be out of question for some. For the lucky few I would think have a nest egg and can leave, but somehow I seriously doubt everyone is in that situation. Some may not have the option to leave.

Over the weekend I saw a camper in Wal-Mart with a huge sign"Need Money for Gas" while I can drive by these people, lol, my husband cannot and stopped to offer a couple bucks and be nosy of course. And of course before they talked I had a feeling they were heading to ND as it is off the I-94 and like most license plates on that freeway here in Mn where I live, are ND plates anyways. And yup, heading to ND to look for work in oilpatch. So some people don't even have gas how can they turn back?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 PM

73 posts, read 202,925 times
Oh trust me they will find a way to go back where they came from. I've met homeless, poor, and people with criminal pasts. I've seen them scrape up whatever they can to get the f out of here. I've seen people just come off buses and trains with just the bags on there backs. I've seen um just as fast head back home in the short period of time I've been here. I know people that sold trailers, rvs, and cars just to bounce. Guys.I know that walked.and hitched hiked to get here break down. Im just passing my real life experiences with everyone. An oil rig worker was getting frostbite on his hands today and he couldn't go on so the company dumped him off at the closest bus stop and said peace. Luckily he found a church to stay in for the night and a bus ticket out here tomorrow

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Wow, times are just not looking up for people there. Very sad. Especially when the media won't **** about all the jobs there. I especially feel bad for people showing up on bus and train. I hope everyone does find the money to leave if that is thier choice.

So how about you, what is your plan now? How long can you hang on there?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:47 PM

98 posts, read 208,008 times
I hate to sound harsh, but these people are ADULTS and as such, they need to remember that all decisions have consequences. Spending all of your money to go to a place that you have never been because you heard that there were jobs is a poor idea. Period. And almost certainly at least one person told these people that. They simply chose not to listen.

Blaming the media for personal desperation is ridiculous. All the media does is report the stories that they think that people want to see. If you choose to believe the positive stories without thinking critically about them, then you are the one making the mistake.

Are there jobs in Williston?
Certainly.
Is it difficult to get them and is it also difficult to obtain housing?
Certainly.

If people choose to ignore that and proceed incautiously, then they are going to suffer. If they take the time to come up with a decent plan, study the area and pool their resources and then proceed to North Dakota, things might go better for them.

This reminds me of the pioneers in 19th Century America who went west to become farmers. Many had little, if any, farming experience and most failed. However, they didn't blame the newspapers of the era for their failures; they blamed themselves or they found something else to do with their lives.

The same thing will happen here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston