Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

the post by lisan23 has some answers to your questions, and some links for job info. I believe it is page 1 of this thread. If it were me, I would strongly discourage your family members from coming up here dead of winter. There are absolutely no rentals now. There literally are ppl living in cars in walmart parking lot. One poster mentioned that they have to keep going in daily, repeatedly to make small purchases so that when the police drive thru the parking lot they have a receipt which keeps them from getting tickets. There are lots of assualts, their has been about a 300 percent increase in ppl applying for concealed weapons permits, proubibly because of the horrific crime. Motel suites can run 6000.00 a mth, w/ a waiting list. Please read several posts related to the conditions there. They are the same in Dickinson and Minot, and all the towns in that area of the state. If they really want to come, make them wait til next spring, there may be more apts by then, and they can at least possibly tent camp and survive. Another Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There are lots of assualts, their has been about a 300 percent increase in ppl applying for concealed weapons permits, proubibly because of the horrific crime. Motel suites can run 6000.00 a mth, w/ a waiting list. Please read several posts related to the conditions there.
Thaat increase in concealed weapons is scary stuff......

What horrific crime are you talking about? AAnd what have the assaults been?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There are lots of assualts, their has been about a 300 percent increase in ppl applying for concealed weapons permits, proubibly because of the horrific crime.
Uh... what horrific crime?

Sure, crime has increased, but not by that much. It's fairly average that when your population increases that crime increases. That being said, this town is by no means a dangerous town.

I'm also trying to find anything supporting that number of a 300% increase in people applying for CCP's... where did you get that information?

Even if it's accurate, it shouldn't be surprising considering the rate at which the population has grown. I want a CCP, not because I feel that I'm in danger, but because I'd like to keep a gun in my car just in case. (Mostly in case I hit an animal.)

Old 11-14-2011, 09:09 AM

I'm going to be adding some pictures to this post and some others later today. I'm going to do a bit of driving, there's a new billboard (on top of the ones that are already up) advertising for employees. I've seen several posts pop up wondering if the work is still here, it is.

I'd also like to address working in another state vs. working in ND. If you're just starting out a career in oil/natural gas you may want to consider going to Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, etc. instead of North Dakota to begin. Starting pay rates are higher in ND, but so is the cost of living. Once you have some experience under your belt you can come to North Dakota and find that your skills will get you paid a premium up here and that you'll stand a better chance of getting housing supplied by your employer because you're no longer a green hat. This is exactly what my husband and I did, he started off in Wyoming and when things slowed down there he came up here.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I'm going to be adding some pictures to this post and some others later today. I'm going to do a bit of driving, there's a new billboard (on top of the ones that are already up) advertising for employees. I've seen several posts pop up wondering if the work is still here, it is.

Can't wait to see the pics Lisa.....

Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 AM

LOL so much for later today! I've had some computer problems at work! Plus posting pictures on this forum is kind of a pain. I think I'm going to work on getting my blog up so I can post a link to that with the pictures and video's I've taken of the area.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:19 PM

10 posts, read 15,153 times
This sounds like a Catch 22. Can't get a job if you don't show up. If you do show up there's nowhere to stay. What does one do in that situation?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epeterd View Post
This sounds like a Catch 22. Can't get a job if you don't show up. If you do show up there's nowhere to stay. What does one do in that situation?
It's still possible to get a job not being here, but a lot tougher. Physically being here and having housing will increase your odds dramatically and not make your housing a burden for the employer. But, housing is still the big problem here. I would think that the least expensive housing option would be to get an RV and live in one of the parks out here - assuming you can find a spot. A few people where I work are living in RVs and think it's the cheapest option going for now.

In my job interviews, every potential employer asked about my housing situation. One even asked 3 times during the course of the interview. I don't think he believed me that I had housing. I offered to give him directions to my place so he could verify it for himself.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM

98 posts, read 341,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epeterd View Post
travel trailer you can get a kingsport for 12k 1 k down paying 173 a month or so thats what other guys in my yard that bought them are telling me. i just put the down on one up here in west Texas if you're going to be working in these rural one horse oil boom towns with no housing best to get one. Super tough to find housing in West Texas right now.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:59 PM

10 posts, read 15,153 times
That makes sense. Not having luck finding anything here in MS & I heard on the news on the radio today about Williston. They did mention that housing is nonexistent. I had heard before about ND having lots of jobs available. It would be a last resort to go up there, but maybe I could find a trailer for cheap and get up there. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston