Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times

Advertisements

msnbc.com Video Player
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad they did a follow up and emphasized the housing issue. I saw a couple clips from Williston's local station and the citizens were not happy that the housing issue wasn't addressed on the original show. Hopefully when Harry Smith comes back "in the dead of winter" to do a follow up, he won't be reporting any stories on people who have perished in the Wal-mart parking lot from hypothermia.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 AM

89 posts, read 167,134 times
A bit discouraging. What a terrible thing to do though, in a country with 14 million unemployed, foreclosures at record highs and 46 million in poverty...to have a spot where even a taco johns is paying $15 a high risk because of housing. I know it is what it is, but it’s the proverbial carrot in front of our noses that everyday common people (99%) with the hope of being able to provide for themselves or their family is having to deal with.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 AM

84 posts, read 186,514 times
Default Look at the Bright Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff75 View Post
A bit discouraging. What a terrible thing to do though, in a country with 14 million unemployed, foreclosures at record highs and 46 million in poverty...to have a spot where even a taco johns is paying $15 a high risk because of housing. I know it is what it is, but it’s the proverbial carrot in front of our noses that everyday common people (99%) with the hope of being able to provide for themselves or their family is having to deal with.
These things you mention are all true but lets try to look on the bright side.

There will be some people that will go to the Williston area and make provisions to get that "JOB" and get back to work. They will hunker down and do whatever it takes to get themsleves started, even in the face of a North Dakota winter. I applaude them!

Then there will be many that wil have to wait until spring weather comes back around and then the entire process will repeat itself but with more sustainable conditions.

Whatever the case everything isn't for everybody. This is a great opportunity for many to get back on their feet. Not the most perfect circumstances but heck it's a chance to move up. It's really up to the individual to determine the what, how and when.

Looking around the country there are many areas that oil field work is available. Yes the southern areas pay a little less but then the weather and housing aren't so much to contend with at this point either.

If all you have are lemons, make lemonaide! Things could be alot worse and I'm afraid them may get there before we all start to see the end to it. I'm not condeming anyone here for their comments so much as I'm trying to stay positive and upbeat.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
upbeat? Not to insult you, but there were ppl living in cars, before the nat'l exposure and "carrot" was dangled. If you know what the weather is like here, to be homeless is horrific. Ppl need to understand before they quit jobs, and spend their last unemployment check coming to a place w/ some truly horrific living conditions. There are proubibly a lot of arm chair participants, living vicariously without any first hand knowledge of what it has become to live in Williston presently. The weather is only part of the dire conditions that many will find they have voluntarily walked into. I just think they need to be better prepared. Read the posts here, ppl don't even know what to wear in cold weather. There has to be those of us willing to express concern, and offer real experience. To move to Williston hoping to work yourself to death making big money, and not know that it will proubibly cost you half what you make to just exist, then add the increased taxes to you in your new tax brackett is too be at the very least uninformed. Then too, what happens to those you are applauding for, that come and find no job, are living in cars, or worse. Then who foots the bill when they can't even afford to drive back?? Some reason and logic needs to be expressed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston