Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:11 AM

287 posts, read 687,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. Landlords are entitled to charge what they want for their property. If they charge too much, people wither won't rent from them or the people will push the local governments to allow affordable housing to be constructed. That's how market forces work.

Again, renting a property is a business transaction. If you have reached the end of your lease and the landlord decides to increase the rent, then you haven't been "screwed" or treated unfairly. You don't own the apartment and you have no claim upon it.

Without forcing the local governments to either allow additional housing (temporary or permanent) to built in and around the oil patch or setting a ceiling on "fair rents"(perhaps $1000-1500 per month) then these type of situation while occur and continue to occur.

The seniors in question are/were voters. They should have used the power of their ballots to elect officials to rectify this situation when this started four years ago. They "wished for the best" and the best didn't occur (it rarely does.)
Totally agree with you. But in the other hand I feel bad for the people getting screwed by those landlords. My mom for example is trying to move out of her house because her landlord is gonna increase the rent. But yea I agree. It's all business. Heartless business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM

325 posts, read 861,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
Well put.
Thanks

Quote:
When the government begins to tell people how much they should earn from their own property, then it begs the question of why people should even own that property?
I find this idea eerie, to be quite honest. And the sad part is that many people around the country share this attitude. It leads to so much bad behavior in so many areas from the powers that be when we give them de facto ownership of our property.

Quote:
Even if the elected officials in Williston and Williams County (among the many counties in Western ND) had no idea that the US economy in general would be in such poor condition that they would be overwhelmed by the numbers of people that they have been, they did know that an oil boom was occurring. That they failed to acknowledge that fact and seemingly continue to respond adequately to that situation is a sign of mind-boggling ineptitude or a lack of political will. Or both.
Really though, this is normal for politicos. People just seem to forget so quickly how bad they were in a previous crisis, or overlook it and try to blame some other entity.

Quote:
And the elderly people in question have lived long enough to remember at least one or two other tough economic times within their own lifespans. That they were somehow under the impression that things wouldn't be "rough" again is a sign that they were replacing good planning and logical thinking with confirmation bias and wishful thinking. Whatever age you are, this is always a poor idea.
Never expect a rental agreement to protect you in the long run from price increases. There is a reason leases aren't normally automatically renewable, that is so landlords can adjust rents to changes in the marketplace.

I am a big believer in "renting" over "owning" especially right now, but more so because the inflation adjusted value of homes hasn't changed for 100 years. That's right. Your primary home is not an investment. It is an expensive durable consumer good. It should be treated as such.

One way to lessen the impact of rentals is to rent long term, like 7 years. Yes, owners will do that if they perceive you as a good tenant and the economics work for them (i.e positive cash flow).

Another way is to negotiate for an automatic lease renewal at the same price or negotiate to limit price hikes. Then negotiate also for 30 days at the end of each lease period to make up your mind to either renew the lease at the previously agreed upon terms or take your chances with a month to month agreement.

But if you are living on a fixed or retirement income you must have a plan if you want to stay in the same area. Otherwise be prepared to move if the market you live in out grows your income. Do not expect "compassion" from the owner when the lease comes to an end. And God forbid, don't go try legislating "compassion" into the law, i.e. rent control. That just brings us back to point #1.

Quote:
Finally, rental agreements ARE contracts. Unless people want all contracts to be voided when people claim that those contracts are "unfair" and we wish to see an end to rule of law, they have to be ready to accept that when people sign a contract for a set period, the contract is only valid for that set period. Anything beyond that isn't covered under the current contract; nor should it be expected to be.

We are in complete agreement on this one, internationalman.
Yes, indeedy

Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,845,641 times
I just don't know how the average person could reasonably expect their rent to suddenly quadruple in retirement-although the area boomed before.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
I grew up in Williston. My dad has lived there 76 years...he has a home, but it's not worth staying anymore. My brother lived there 44 years and he lived out in the country on the homestead and he still left too. SAD!!! For those of you criticizing the seniors for not having as house...many of them had a homestead and gave it to their children to continue the legacy...they opted for an apartment when they COULD afford it. No bad on the seniors...just greedy people who are destroying a great hometown.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:04 PM

3,634 posts, read 3,753,201 times
Wow. There is some major lack of understanding for what a senior citizen can run into. The medical bills of a spouse or their own can wipe out all savings, and, being the sort of people who pay their debt, I know some elderly who sold their places in order to pay the hospital and doctor bills of their husband or wife. Even though that isn't required and they could have filed for a medical bankruptcy, that's what they do because they "owe" it.

I know Wyoming isn't the sunny south yet is far from family, friends and familiar places, but I would welcome seniors from ND. The ones I've met were salt of the earth types.

Also, being from an energy producing state, I've been through booms and busts. Have fun with that.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM

477 posts, read 1,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Wow. There is some major lack of understanding for what a senior citizen can run into. The medical bills of a spouse or their own can wipe out all savings, and, being the sort of people who pay their debt, I know some elderly who sold their places in order to pay the hospital and doctor bills of their husband or wife. Even though that isn't required and they could have filed for a medical bankruptcy, that's what they do because they "owe" it.

I know Wyoming isn't the sunny south yet is far from family, friends and familiar places, but I would welcome seniors from ND. The ones I've met were salt of the earth types.

Also, being from an energy producing state, I've been through booms and busts. Have fun with that.
Right and some people just don't want a big place to have to take care of, all that goes with owning a home. Any way you look at it, the raising of rents that high that fast is just plain greed...simply.

I know when I traveled through Wyoming this last summer, everywhere we would go through, stopping to shop or eat and some would ask us where we were from. When they found out, they knew where Williston was and always replied by asking if they (the oil boom) has destroyed Williston yet, or ask they would say it will end up just like this town in the end. Very interesting to talk to the locals of Wyoming and hear their take on all if it too.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,095,502 times
More upheaval.....thanks oil companies Forced out: Residents to be evicted from apartments - Williston Herald: News

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM

39 posts, read 98,070 times
There's a reason that areas with a high demand for housing have rent control and other programs to ensure that lower income people can afford to live there. The city could have done something to control the prices if they chose to. Sounds like an oversight on their part.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 AM

231 posts, read 870,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
There's a reason that areas with a high demand for housing have rent control and other programs to ensure that lower income people can afford to live there. The city could have done something to control the prices if they chose to. Sounds like an oversight on their part.

Rent control is against the state law. ND century code 47-16-02.1.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 AM

39 posts, read 98,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra dweller View Post
Rent control is against the state law. ND century code 47-16-02.1.
Another oversight. Officials should have seen what was going to happen as the demand for housing grew. Legislation should have been passed to protect residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston