Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 PM

325 posts, read 861,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinksters View Post
Wow, thats absolutely insane. Do people buy them? lol
Actually that is a running joke some of us have here in my neck of the woods. Not that expensive. Last year they were approximately $8 in Norway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM

91 posts, read 294,516 times
Wow, even $8. Man, you guys must make a lot of money over there. lol. Depending on the craving, I might buy a Big Mac for $18. lol

Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM

325 posts, read 861,904 times
Quote:
Wow, even $8. Man, you guys must make a lot of money over there. lol. Depending on the craving, I might buy a Big Mac for $18. lol
Haha! No I live in Seattle not Norway. But the Economist has a "Big Mac Index" they put out every year showing the price of Big Macs (in US dollars) around the world.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM

192 posts, read 496,482 times
Quote:
If you are single, and wanting a new experience, hell what do you got to lose. May as well try it.
So my goal is/was to go in March. I am single, have a small van camper, and I have enough funds to last 5 months while I search for work.

I have no qualms working the lowly jobs, or working walmart or mcdonalds. Obviously the goal is to get into the oil industry.

Boinksters... the question I have is it still hopeless? Is it worth it?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM

13 posts, read 36,406 times
Are there any IT jobs related to the oil fields? I'm a military veteran looking for work. I also have experience with labor, but my recent background is IT so would like to put it use if possible. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 34,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingGuy View Post
Are there any IT jobs related to the oil fields? I'm a military veteran looking for work. I also have experience with labor, but my recent background is IT so would like to put it use if possible. Thanks.
MovingGuy,

I've seen quite a few IT related jobs. I started another thread "Oil Field Sales Jobs" asking something similiar about Sales gigs in the patch.

Just like the rig gigs, you pretty much have to dig through the website career sections, but they are in there - at least most of the big companies have some IT related openings from what I've seen.

If you want to know what they pay (assuming it doesn't say in the job description), I found glassdoor (dot) com pretty insighful.

Good Luck!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingGuy View Post
I'm sure there are, I haven't personally ever looked. Your best bet is just browsing companies websites and looking around.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
So my goal is/was to go in March. I am single, have a small van camper, and I have enough funds to last 5 months while I search for work.

I have no qualms working the lowly jobs, or working walmart or mcdonalds. Obviously the goal is to get into the oil industry.

Spring would be a good time to come weather wise, but there's going to be a lot of people coming up here with you because of the weather turning and getting better. I can't predict what people do, nor do I know what the media is going to continue doing. So far what the media has done is advertise how many thousands of jobs there are in this town, but have failed to mention the housing situation. Oilfield job recruitment is at a halt right now pretty much for the most part. Idk, man. If you've got nothing holding you back, I don't see why you shouldn't at least try.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post

Also, good preparation on your part stowing a good chunk of money away to last 5 months. When I got to Williston last year, I had $40 to my name. No credit cards, no savings account, nothing.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,151,930 times
Quote:
Also, good preparation on your part stowing a good chunk of money away to last 5 months. When I got to Williston last year, I had $40 to my name. No credit cards, no savings account, nothing.
Wow, that's a scary situation! Hope all is good now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston