Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM

25 posts, read 41,574 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I heard that the Williston walmart is not allowing parking after dec 1st. Can anyone confirm this? I will be heading there with my buddy jan 1st and we are bringing a camper..Does anyone know of spots to park at till the rv campgrounds open back up. Thax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC View Post
Hi all, I heard that the Williston walmart is not allowing parking after dec 1st. Can anyone confirm this? I will be heading there with my buddy jan 1st and we are bringing a camper..Does anyone know of spots to park at till the rv campgrounds open back up. Thax
RV parks are open still but they are full. Water and sewer are shut off at most of them but they are not shut down. Walmart has campers there today but i'm sure they will be run out of there shortly. Seems like every time the run 10 of them out of there, 12 more show up. I'm sure you could get away with it for a few days.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM

73 posts, read 202,925 times
Everytime I go to Wal-Mart to grab something their seems to be more and more rvs and trailers in the lot. Police had better stuff to deal with tonight. Ex: a car was in a ditch on the side of the highway and there was 5 cop cars but most officers were in the warm heated car.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:25 PM

174 posts, read 378,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
Everytime I go to Wal-Mart to grab something their seems to be more and more rvs and trailers in the lot. Police had better stuff to deal with tonight. Ex: a car was in a ditch on the side of the highway and there was 5 cop cars but most officers were in the warm heated car.
There was a reason for the number of officers there, but wuld you prefer they were all out running people out of wherever they were parked for the night? Besides, the police will only clear out the lot when Walmart makes a complaint and it has been a few days since they bothered to call.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
well they bring it on themselves by denying permits for new mancamps. I mean seriously how ignorant can a governing entity be? Pretty soon if not already, the number of campers will far surpass the number of police to deal with them... they can try but ultimately they will fail to manage the situation.. like any situation where cops are seriously outnumbered.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 AM

174 posts, read 378,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
well they bring it on themselves by denying permits for new mancamps. I mean seriously how ignorant can a governing entity be? Pretty soon if not already, the number of campers will far surpass the number of police to deal with them... they can try but ultimately they will fail to manage the situation.. like any situation where cops are seriously outnumbered.
They deny the man camps because they don't want more "temp" housing. They want people to buy or build houses and put down roots. That said, they way our county and city commissions are making decisions leaves much to be desired. Even I don't understand what they are thinking half the time. I am beginning to think they just want it all to go away because they can't handle the pressure.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,280 times
Quote:
Do you really think that the already congested roads need more people added to it driving more semis and work trucks? I don't think so. Does Williston need more driving through it's already full town of traffic? I don't think so. It's more than just one thing that contributes to the hold on more mancamps.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
The city's water treatment plant is in the beginning phases of being expanded. Construction won't likely begin for months, though.

The roads are overloaded and they struggle to maintain them.

The area can't really handle any more people than it has. I think the city and county commission is allowing as much building as they possibly can, but they also realize that the area has reached it's limit of what it can do (and passed that limit if we're being honest).

It would be irresponsible for them to allow more housing to move in when the basic infrastructure of the area cannot handle it. They can't stop campers from coming, but the reality is most campers don't make it too long up here before they turn around and leave during the winter or find somewhere else to stay.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM

25 posts, read 41,574 times
Thax kyclo, for the others could you please stop posting about other issues and stick to the topic posted! Much appreciated.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
[quote=kychlo;22041862]RV parks are open still but they are full. Water and sewer are shut off at most of them but they are not shut down. Walmart has campers there today but i'm sure they will be run out of there shortly. Seems like every time the run 10 of them out of there, 12 more show up. I'm sure you could get away with it for a few days.[/QUO

Today there were campers for sale in the walmart parking lot. Full of campers to no campers to full of campers and now for sale campers. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston