Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times

Advertisements

Jan said: "Yep, complacent. It has obviously already taken over, evidenced by the posts here"
Jan I don't think it is complacent...I don't live in Williston, but am born and raised in Williston (with intention of moving back shortly) and have many many family, relatives and friends there. I do get to Williston at least twice a month. But, even my 3 sisters, my mom and several neices (along with the spouses and brothers) who live in Williston, think the "rumors" and exaggerated stories are getting so ridiculous. Williston's crime is no worse than it was a few years ago (when you figure in the population increase vs reported crimes) What is happening in williston, happens daily in similar sized or smaller sized towns. We have just lived in a bubble over the years and felt protected and sheltered from crime. But face it, so many people in Williston are creating an atmosphere of paranoia and rumored stories that get exaggerated as they are passed on from one person to the next. The police and city are NOT hiding these crimes from the citizens of Williston as some people are suggesting. The problem is the "rumor mill" is running out of control in towns like Williston and Dickinson. People need to be safe no matter where they are. Again, I am sorry if this person was nearly abducted... BUT...I really don't believe it happened YET. Not until there is more evidence. We don't know who this person is that was nearly abducted...what is her character...what is her story...her life? We don't know if she is someone having a lot of personal issues where she is attempting to get some attention. Maybe this is not the case at all, but this "attempted abduction" is pretty much the EXACT same situation that happend to Ms. Arnold in Sidney. (minus the car that pulled up...yelled...and then left the scene without saying a word to the victim...WHO DOES THAT? A girl gets nearly abducted and she is fighting for her life and NO ONE stops to make sure she is okay? or calls the police?...seriously???) This whole story doesn't make sense to me...again... just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
We do not share the same opinion. Not something I'm overly concerned about. I stand by mine. I don't listen to the rumor mill, I have other sources, some of them right on this forum. One of the most reliable posters I know posted this link. WSJ: Oil Booms in North Dakota - SiouxSports.com Forum - Page 13 Scroll down to post #240. And this was before the recent shootings, and abduction/murder, and so many other newsworthy events. Even one you posted:Oil Patch testimony to legislators | The N.D. Capitol and Beyond Scrolling down....Police calls increased by 250% in 09:6000 calls in 2010:17,000 calls
I believe someone when they say they have been attacked....I have no reason not too.

But just for arguments sake, You don't believe this woman, don't know her....maybe she was afraid to be identified....I guess you don't believe the rents had quadrupled, or there are 29,000 vehicles in a 24 hr period running through the same intersection you described near Walmart, that there have been multiple sheriff's and police officers added just this last few mths, that the accidents have increased drastically, and there are deaths weekly...That grown men **** routinely in a restaurant parking lot. What part of the news do you believe??

People can only hide their heads in the sand for so long. I hope enough people pay attention to the facts and do something to help make themselves and Williston safer. According to the Williston Herald They are holding community meetings addressing the many issues this week, and how best to designate funds to address them, next one in Trenton. If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Last edited by JanND; 03-11-2012 at 08:31 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,546 times
It's rather harsh to say someone is part of the problem when they have the right also to give their opinion just as you have the right JanND. Sorry JanND I get where your coming from, but just because someone questions the woman in the article it automatically makes them a problem? I know what the facts are and what is going on in this town as I live here. I also know that things are not always what they seem to be. Of course I want everyone to be safe and crime to go down and other issues to be resolved that need to in a very pressing way. I, however, remain openminded and things do happen that are not always reported or described as actually what happened. It does "happen" and why should we not question it just as we question why or how certain people have gotten away with said crime. Yes, I think of moving away from here for different reasons, but I also can't blame everything that bothers me on others. People's minds have a way of running away with themselves, it's human nature, but I really am not going to get all hyped up about this and freak out. I know I posted this article on the board, not to bash other people with their opinions, but to bring awareness if it really did happen and of course to have the ability to perceive it in their best interest. I am afraid to let my kids walk home alone, this article reiterates my fear, however, something also don't set right in how it was reported and how someone could just drive away after stopping when she was getting abducted. Well, to me there are just too many variables with people to stay in the box.

Last edited by Broncogirl; 03-11-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 AM

This is an oil boom happening right now, it has happened before here and other places. With oil booms comes great influx of people and a strain on city/county resources. Media comes to cash in on the hype of oil boom, more people come to add to strain on already tapped area. People search internet and find message boards for advice in coming to boom town to make their fortune, people give tips, advice, suggestions so people in search can find their way to said boom. More people come to congested area adding to crimes, traffic cauous, price gouging by greedy peeps, more bare shelves-it's a nasty cycle. Is not everyone to blame for what is happening right now? The city, the oil companies, the landlords, the media, the people handing out advice on what jobs to get, the people telling others where to go, where to stay? It's sad when I think that any advice I have given on here could have lead to a drug addicted murder to come into this area and kill an innocent person. Should I stop trying to help others that are looking for some sort of information to help them make decisions, or should I continue in good faith, hopeful that my tidbits will not lead a pycho path to my town?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 PM

59 posts, read 138,368 times
I used to regularly pull over and ask someone walking on the side of the road if they wanted a lift. That ended maybe 3 years ago (unless it is bitter cold outside). It does seem like a fairly normal action for people who have grown up in a rural community, but maybe not so much in Williston anymore.

As much of an economic boost this Bakken has been to our area (my career included), sometimes I can't help but wish for an EPA ban on fracking.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Well, I read some of the comments on the newspaper site, seems a few more folks are calling this poor woman a story teller. Seems a shame, we all know there is plenty of crime, and plenty of folks driving around all times, all day and night. Dui's are happening all day long, incl am's...cause so many shift jobs. All I can say is No wonder women hesitate to report this type thing, they are treated like the criminal. It's a shame. The next guy might get away w/ it too, specially since He can see the woman isn't even believed.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM

182 posts, read 478,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
To the fellas that offered assistance and were turned down, and then had the law on your tail, I won't say I'm sorry. I think the ladies involved did the right thing, based on what they were feeling at the time. Anyone who has taken a self defense course has learned that you should trust your gut instincts and if something doesn't feel right, there is usually a reason. If I am broke down on the side of the road, I am going to get really, really uncomfortable when I see a car slowing down to help me and it's not LE and it's someone I don't know. I am well aware that probably 99% of the people on the road are harmless and would stop only to help me - but guess what? That does leave 1% that might have a different motive. After learning that in the case of Sherry Arnold, one of the men involved was specifically seeking to kidnap and kill a female, do you really think women should not be a cautious as possible in every given situation? Of course they should. If you don't want to stop and help - don't.

This thing about not wanting to smile or converse with someone for fear that you will be 'taken the wrong way' is kind of ridiculous. I do believe most people in society know the difference between idle chit-chat and exchanging small talk in a check-out line vs. someone leering at you and giving you the 'willys'.

North Dakota is not crawling with serial killers waiting to pounce on any female daring to venture outside of her house........................but, there are enough losers amongst the general population to lead me to be cautious at all times, whether in NoDak or anywhere else.

If indeed this latest case in Williston was a 'hoax', I have no doubt we will all be made well aware of it and the person responsible for filing a false report will be charged accordingly. Until then, the way people are 'poo-pooing' this, harkens back to why many people who are sexually assaulted do not report it - because they are not believed. Not only are they not believed, many times they are made to feel like they somehow are at fault for what happened. Crawl outta the dark ages people - sheesh.
Where I am from, it is the LAW to stop and help. If you don't and they die, and you could have prevented it, you can get MANSLAUGHTER charges if its known you were there. Ladies are exempt from this rule because of past Bait situations, but they can if they want. Most girls from my area carry and can defend themselves from a bear, so what is a piddly Male going to do? Their mace cans are bear size. So I wouldn't approach them for no valid reason.

She was Ridiculous. She told me no, I complemented her preparedness and went away, Did no insisting nor got any closer then 10 ft vocally asking with cars blazing 70+ MPH That is the difference of where she was beyond her sane mind. If I said, oh here let me help you, or "you sure?" come on.... then ok, I could deem myself a weirdo. One No, was fine for me.

Involving a law enforcement after nothing happened? That is lame. Not right.

Time before I helped, the lady ran out of gas thought she could make it to Tioga and passed Ray. I stopped, She didn't get out of the car, just rolled the window down just a couple inches and said "I'm out of Gas" I said "Ok, I'll give you enough to get to the next town." I pulled my jug down, poured a little in my Truck to show I would use it, then poured about 2 gallons in hers. She started it, said thanks and drove on. Simple. She had a kid in the back seat as well.

The walmart part was a bit of a joke with the situation. But honestly, If I smile in walmart I get weird faces made at me from the ladies. They are tired of the smiles and stares. I usually smile all the time so I just consider this my Poker face practice now.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
Where I am from, it is the LAW to stop and help. If you don't and they die, and you could have prevented it, you can get MANSLAUGHTER charges if its known you were there. Ladies are exempt from this rule because of past Bait situations, but they can if they want. Most girls from my area carry and can defend themselves from a bear, so what is a piddly Male going to do? Their mace cans are bear size. So I wouldn't approach them for no valid reason.

She was Ridiculous. She told me no, I complemented her preparedness and went away, Did no insisting nor got any closer then 10 ft vocally asking with cars blazing 70+ MPH That is the difference of where she was beyond her sane mind. If I said, oh here let me help you, or "you sure?" come on.... then ok, I could deem myself a weirdo. One No, was fine for me.

Time before I helped, the lady ran out of gas thought she could make it to Tioga and passed Ray. I stopped, She didn't get out of the car, just rolled the window down just a couple inches and said "I'm out of Gas" I said "Ok, I'll give you enough to get to the next town." I pulled my jug down, poured a little in my Truck to show I would use it, then poured about 2 gallons in hers. She started it, said thanks and drove on. Simple. She had a kid in the back seat as well.

The walmart part was a bit of a joke with the situation. But honestly, If I smile in walmart I get weird faces made at me from the ladies. They are tired of the smiles and stares. I usually smile all the time so I just consider this my Poker face practice now.
Yeah, well that is overreacting yeah yeah, but it is a bit weird around here now so I can see women getting scittish.

LOL, at Walmart my girls which are 13 and 15 kind of draw attention to themselves anyways, not in a sexually way at all either. They are such goofs and I don't think they want to grow up anymore than I want them too. I am a chubby white girl that looks tired all the time, lol, not worried about getting looks myself. So I don't know, we always end up talking to people there and most are men cause that is what is the most of around here. Don't even get started on my bf, he will still be talking to guys after we check out.

So you will be the crabby looking one?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post

I am sorry that by a gesture of kindness you got your feelings hurt and are offended. That was one woman, not everyone else would turn you down if they needed help. I have always heard that it was illegal here to just drive by a stranded motorist in the dead of winter, too.
There many are reasons women are more fearful now if in a vulnerable situation, alone. This is a symptom of a much bigger problem. It isn't about individuals, it is about "community" everyone's actions effect everyone else's actions and reactions.....Times in this small town have changed drastically. We have to all get over that, and onto what does help now.
I think community meetings are a way to at least start the dialogues and work on answers to the ongoing problems. Both newly relocated folks, and locals should be part of this, a Task force if you will...That may be the only way to repair what I see is a very broken sense of community in the Western part of the state. These are my opinions....I would like to read others opinions.

Last edited by JanND; 03-15-2012 at 06:16 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
JanND

Actually I recall a thread back a few years ago about this "is it a law stop and help" and for the average citizen no....but law enforcement yes.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...about-law.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston