Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM

454 posts, read 940,020 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what law, if any, Williston or any other towns in N.D. have in regards to vagrancy? Although I don't consider most of the people arriving in N.D. to technically be vagrants, if they come without securing lodging and end up sleeping in doorways, or peoples back yards without permission, I myself would consider them vagrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 AM

174 posts, read 378,634 times
Vagrancy laws were found to be unconstitutional, therefore you cannot be arrested for being homeless. You can and will be arrested for criminal trespass if you are on someone's property without permission though. So no sleeping in people's backyards or setting up camp in a random farm field.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks Naelbis!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Thanks Naelbis!
Np

Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Does anyone know what law, if any, Williston or any other towns in N.D. have in regards to vagrancy? Although I don't consider most of the people arriving in N.D. to technically be vagrants, if they come without securing lodging and end up sleeping in doorways, or peoples back yards without permission, I myself would consider them vagrants.
Interesting question. I know there are some sleeping in junk cars, yes doorways/hallways, barns, etc...I also believe that the city is going to be putting a kibosh on letting anyone doing whatever they want. The city let things get way out of control around here and everywhere you look a person can tell.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,849 times
I relocated to Bismarck, ND a few months ago.....I dont know how Williston police behave, but the Bismarck police and vigilante citizens will harass you non-stop if you are homeless. Hanging out in the park near the Ruth Meiers Hospitality House will get you messed with big time. There is NO sleeping in the park, even in the day time..NO lying down in the park. Two or more homeless people in the park will invite a vigilante citizen to call 911 and have the police to come and investigate. Camping is all but impossible in Bismarck...there is virtually no cover to hide a tent. Tents and sleeping in public is forbidden. The police have a leaf blowing policy....they just blow you around town non-stop until you leave....or find a home. The citizens of Bismarck know who belongs in their neighborhoods/communities and will call the cops to investigate you if you appear out of place.

The Bismarck library is another place you want to avoid. They have a policy that forbids anyone from leaving a bag/backpack unattended...even if to go to the restroom or to select a magazine. The library will staff will publicly humiliate you in the library and threaten to call the police and have your "bags confiscated and destroyed". The unattended bag policy is selectively enforced for those appear homeless.
The Bismarck library charges a one-time fee of $20 for a library card to access the internet for all non-residents....but you cannot access Facebook or Yahoo mail, Gmail or hotmail..they have been blocked. The library has a **** Off to outsiders feel.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2012 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Well Bismarck does at least have homeless shelters and other options for homeless folks. Williston doesn't...churches and kind folks have helped, but I get the feeling it is not an organized effort...just a case by case based on need. I have to say.....I think Bismarck's policies adapted to Williston might help get this situation under control. Extreme things should not be happening. And you ain't looking for work if your sleeping in the park all day....Personally, I think there has been enough crime happen that the oil towns are changing their previous open arms policy re: homeless work seekers, or even workers that are causing problems, we read about everything from trucker bombs to bar fights to tents in your yard to refusing license and registration for vehicles, fatal accidents everyday on the roads. Not saying that is right, just saying that is part of the reason, folks are saying Enough!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 AM

Default Beggars in Minot

I don't live in Bismarck, I live up by the border with Canada, but I grew up in Minot. The 'talk' around Minot when I was growing up, was that the streets were always plowed and kept clean better in Bismarck than anywhere else in the state in the winter because it is the state capital . Maybe the homeless issue is addressed in the same manner? Out of sight out of mind? Pure speculation on my part.

Beggars in Minot: For the past several years, there has seemed to be an increasing number of people begging in certain areas, specifically both entrances to Wal-Mart, the corner of Broadway and Burdick Expressway, the exit ramp onto HWY 83 south by Menards and near K-Mart. Some had dogs with them, one was a well groomed blonde woman with French tip manicured fingernails and they seemed to be more active in the winter months (especially around the Christmas holiday), but were still around in smaller numbers through the year. On my last trips into Minot, I have noticed that they are no longer around. I know the issue got alot of local facebook attention after the flood, and some citizens were making a point of carrying the want ads from the newspaper with them to hand out to the beggars and also taking pictures of the beggars, begging while standing directly below "HELP WANTED" signs and posting them online, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if there was a concerted effort to remedy the begging issue from the city of Minot, or if they moved on of their own accord?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM

The beggars were probably arrested for soliciting without a permit Norsk. That is how the citites get them to move along, arrest them for a petty offense then impose fines you know they can't pay so they will jump town. Wi;liston has been doing that frequently lately as apparently you have to be the "right kind" of person to ask people for money..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
I wonder if the VET population has anything to do with homeless locations. Homeless shelters pick up government funds if they have a homeless vet. Vets that are homeless, tend to hang close to Vet Clinics so they can get healthcare. Here is a list of Vet Clinics and Hospitals. I would bet most of these towns have a homeless shelter.

Fargo - Hospital
Dickinson - Clinic
Jamestown - Clinic
Bismark - Clinic
Grafton - Clinic
Grand Forks - Clinic
Minot - Clinic
Williston - Clinic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston