Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times

Advertisements

My 26yo son just left today for Williston from North Carolina. From what I've read this was not a smart move. He's in a 21yo vehicle, and has no job waiting and of course no place to live. Like many people his age of course, he thinks he will be "fine" . I'm really scared and am wondering if anyone has any advice. I can't even send him mail because of course no address, and he knows no one. He's a sweetheart and a computer whiz, but that and a buck won't even get a cup of coffee! Please is there anyone out there willing to rent out a parking place and allow him to use an address? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 77,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
My 26yo son just left today for Williston from North Carolina. From what I've read this was not a smart move. He's in a 21yo vehicle, and has no job waiting and of course no place to live. Like many people his age of course, he thinks he will be "fine" . I'm really scared and am wondering if anyone has any advice. I can't even send him mail because of course no address, and he knows no one. He's a sweetheart and a computer whiz, but that and a buck won't even get a cup of coffee! Please is there anyone out there willing to rent out a parking place and allow him to use an address? Thanks in advance.
OMG, he sounds like something I was about to do, and with my adventurous free spirit personality, I've done just that in the past.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
He can get a post office box like the other 2000 people in Williston that don't have a place to stay. There are a lot of folks in the same boat, but they have been getting post office boxes so they at least have something to put on their resume.

The weather has been pretty decent this year and if it holds up, he'll be fine. We may get major snow yet, but the ground is warm so the snow will melt in a day or so.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Have him msg some of the regulars here that are in Williston. Scorpio125 is there..........Anyone else???
There is a church that has been helping folks. Williston is a very small town....Folks will direct him if he asks.

MacDonalds is where lots of folks go and talk to others that are there, the job service office etc. If he stays out of bars, and is selective who he buddy's up w/ he will be ok.

He should read the posts on here by robione. As long as he has gas money, and is level headed he will be ok. I am scared for you...got boys that same age. It is hard to see them taking risks.

There are some good threads on this forum....start researching them for him. the "Community jobs and resource" thread on here has several links and publications....you could be lining up some job leads for him and perhaps have a list of company names and addresses for him. No cell phone??

Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 PM

22 posts, read 77,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If he stays out of bars, and is selective who he buddy's up w/ he will be ok.
That is so very true. I've found that in my past life lol, lol.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times
Thanks to all of you who replied. Yes, he has a cell phone, but only about enough money to get out there. Dont know if he even knows how to do a resume! He does know how to design web sites and repair computers but doesnt want that kind of work.(dont know why) He did work in an oil field in Wyoming for a couple of months a few years ago, that MIGHT help. I'll pass on all the info if he will answer the phone. He's a bit annoyed at my constantly texting him to turn around!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Hang on Mom. Been there done that, and I got the T-Shirt. You just be there when he calls, all you can do. Well, you have some good info....There are fax machines, and job service teaches classes on resume writing and all the normal things. Scorpio125 may know the churches that allow parking, and there will be signs for jobs, not all oil but plenty of other type jobs. Last week the Appleby's was begging the wanna be righ workers to come to work, even if just for a day. So, he can get some day labor probably. Target Logistics is a reputable mancamp and there was a post of available jobs just posted today...I'll try to find it for you. The past experience will probably give him a leg up...cause some experience seems to be key right now. Tell Him to go to SOS employment, The Library, and NDJob Services. The main street will have plenty of hiring signs, lots of hotels going in, apartments, etc. so plenty of construction jobs too. The long term issue is housing, Target Logistics houses their employees. The oil field companies sometimes have housing, Tell Him to try Key Energy, and a few reputable companies.
This article may comfort you...Dickinson Press....Interesting article from Brothers in the Oil Patch

Last edited by JanND; 04-08-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:28 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Thanks to all of you who replied. Yes, he has a cell phone, but only about enough money to get out there. Dont know if he even knows how to do a resume! He does know how to design web sites and repair computers but doesnt want that kind of work.(dont know why) He did work in an oil field in Wyoming for a couple of months a few years ago, that MIGHT help. I'll pass on all the info if he will answer the phone. He's a bit annoyed at my constantly texting him to turn around!
Ann in Oriental, I wish good luck to your son. I wish I was that brave to just up and take off like that. LOL!!! If your son does not know already, I would have him check for jobs on Monster.Com, and he can just look up jobs by putting in a Williston zip code. I got at listing just last week, where over 100 jobs hits came up that way. Also, you may enjoy reading the following news article (link below), as that was one of the first news articles that I read that got me inspired to think about just trying to find a job in another state in general, not putting a focus of going to work in Williston per se. I have been unemployed for over 2 years, and I live in Los Angeles.

This Young Man Is Chasing The American Dream In A North Dakota Oil Boomtown

Young Man Chases The American Dream In Williston - Business Insider

Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Ann in Oriental:

Instead of worrying about your son, rejoice that he is doing what a man should do at some point in his life and taking a risk to become much more than the boy he was.

God bless him as he makes his way and I pray that a perfect job/social/living path will make itself known to him.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
If he calls you, and IF, he can log onto the internet, have him log onto www.wyomingatwork.com It's the employment website for the state of Wyoming. Now, before you say, "Hey wait a minute, he's headed for North Dakota" know this. The website helps you put together a resume. It has a very good tutorial on how to do it, what to put in it and what not to put in it. Once he does that, he can save it and then take it to the Library in Williston and print it out.

The only reason I recommended the Wyoming one is I know it has one and it is very good. I'm not sure if the North Dakota jobs has that capability, or if it is any good. It might even be better, but I figured I'd at least tell you about this one. The other thing is with the Oilfields being in Wyoming, he can get nomenclature and phrases on the Wyoming site that will still work good for a resume in North Dakota. Another thing is, several of the company's around Williston are Wyoming based.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston