Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A vote would stop the new influx
No it won't.

A hiring freeze will stop the influx, and that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
There are several RV parks that are in the process of being built. They need to start a list and people can pay a deposit if needed, but start a list. Those folks on the list get a tag of some sort to tape on the inside of their windsheild indicating that they are in line to get an RV spot. They can stay. The rest need to seek another place to park.

The People in RV's need to give some indication that they are wiling to abide by the law, they just need time.

But don't let the RV parks use that as an excuse to slow down on building and getting ready. Give a day for completion. Building permits have a start and completion date and if it is going to take longer, they have to ask for a variance on the permit or extension. If they're not going to be complete on time, they are responsible for locating everybody and updating their tags.

That's just one suggestion, but at least it is a suggestion on what they could do. Course, do ya think they'll listen to me? Or any of the rest of us???

Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Well, evidently the RV parks, at least the ones listed in the article are in process. I'm just hoping the folks at the meeting take the intiative to get "in line" at those Rv parks....rather than miss their chance. Folks coming have been asking about RV parks, and I am like many on this forum...I believe the second wave is starting to arrive. Elk is right, get on it. A first come, first served...so folks should not waste time waiting for the next vote.

It'sMeFred is right also, the only thing that will stop folks from coming is a hiring freeze. As long as folks have been hearing there is still a chance, they have kept coming...knowing there weren't places to live. I fully believe that the car situation will be the next crack-down. I can empathize, but I firmly believe there has got to be more control....it has been out of hand far too long already. I wonder if it will come to a hiring freeze???

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, evidently the RV parks, at least the ones listed in the article are in process. I'm just hoping the folks at the meeting take the intiative to get "in line" at those Rv parks....rather than miss their chance. Folks coming have been asking about RV parks, and I am like many on this forum...I believe the second wave is starting to arrive. Elk is right, get on it. A first come, first served...so folks should not waste time waiting for the next vote.

It'sMeFred is right also, the only thing that will stop folks from coming is a hiring freeze. As long as folks have been hearing there is still a chance, they have kept coming...knowing there weren't places to live. I fully believe that the car situation will be the next crack-down. I can empathize, but I firmly believe there has got to be more control....it has been out of hand far too long already. I wonder if it will come to a hiring freeze???

I don't think it will ever come to a hiring freeze simply because of the kind of money flowing through this area. Big companies don't want to slow down the momentum they have.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,320 times
Also, there is some talk that anyone who wants to camp at Beaver Bay campground will have a sort of lottery to sign up with, kind of like putting your name in a hat and seeing how lucky you are if you want to try and camp there.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Here is the problem I see with holding off the decision. Making the decision, and giving the RV folks here already time to move when the RV parks are ready is one thing. Delaying, and therefore leaving the RV park spaces up for grabs to the next generation this spring.... And we all know they're coming.... of relocated RV folks, that will take those spaces....will leave the ones here now parked everywhere in the lurch even further down the road....vicious cycle. A vote would stop the new influx, and force the ones already here to make arrangements, while that is possibly doable.
Or like some have said they will just park their RV and live in their cars because they won't or supposedly can't pay high rent on an RV space, even if there were spaces available now. You're right though if they continue delaying a decision more will come with RV's and add to the problem. As far as people dumping their waste and grey water, perhaps more camera's similar to the idea behind red light camera's could be installed. A neighborhood watch of some sort might be helpful too. If people all had common respect for others this wouldn't be nearly as great a problem as it is and people would probably be far more tolerant as well of those living in RV's.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 AM

I honestly think Williston people have been tolerant. There are things going on that are totally unacceptable....the "tolerant" has to be replaced by "civilized"
There was a flood, last summer in areas of Williston, a small flood, but many folks lost their basement furnishings and paneling etc. I cannot imagine what is in the manholes, and what rising water would distribute into the city streets if that happened anytime before they get the RV's out of the area. The crud being dumped into the rain sewers and onto the streets, as has been reported has got to stop. This is not a Third world country. Bottom line, if you wouldn't/couldn't do this in your home state, on your street....don't do it here in mine.
Williston taxpayers, and I am one....shouldn't be expected to continue to pick up the slack monetarily for those folks that came here for jobs, but say they can't afford even $700 for RV space rent. What is wrong w/ this picture. They wouldn't expect to live rent free anywhere else, why do so many expect it here??? Because it has been allowed. That's why.
And, it has been said by others, why are the folks living in RV's allowed to control what the city taxpayers are doing? Putting off taking action to stop this chaotic situation......simply because of those who are doing what is causing the problem buck your decisions....is ludicrous. If a Parent did that it would be neglect....For a city to do that is irresponsible. 30 days reprieve....Use it.
Why aren't the companies building RV sites near the rig sites, or spending the monies to get the folks into areas w/ pump stations. And, what about winter. Folks have described that their RV park landlords have shut off their water all winter for fear of pipes freezing. Take the 30 days, and get your RV moved, or at least sign up to move....doing nothing is a decision many may regret.

Last edited by JanND; 04-26-2012 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
Quote:
Here is the problem I see with holding off the decision. Making the decision, and giving the RV folks here already time to move when the RV parks are ready is one thing. Delaying, and therefore leaving the RV park spaces up for grabs to the next generation this spring.... And we all know they're coming.... of relocated RV folks, that will take those spaces....will leave the ones here now parked everywhere in the lurch even further down the road....vicious cycle.
A vote would stop the new influx, and force the ones already here to make arrangements, while that is possibly doable.
A vote will not stop the influx. People are flocking here everyday with no idea of what they are getting into much less the city/county regulations. The RV's trying to live in alleys and backyards need to get out of town and into the county. I've met people in the last week that showed up here, bought an RV, got a spot in a park north of Williston. HOW HARD WAS THAT!? They had to commit to $800 worth of lot rent and maybe $100 worth of power per month. No 1 year lease. (it's month to month) No $2000 per month rent. If you are working any kind of job in Williston you should be able to afford $800-900 per month to make it here. If you can't you probably have a house payment, debt, child support, bad habits, that you wouldn't make it anywhere in the country. Williston is not a bail out plan. Nothing is free here or anywhere else for that matter. Complaining about paying RV park rent is ridiculous.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 PM

174 posts, read 378,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
A vote will not stop the influx. People are flocking here everyday with no idea of what they are getting into much less the city/county regulations. The RV's trying to live in alleys and backyards need to get out of town and into the county. I've met people in the last week that showed up here, bought an RV, got a spot in a park north of Williston. HOW HARD WAS THAT!? They had to commit to $800 worth of lot rent and maybe $100 worth of power per month. No 1 year lease. (it's month to month) No $2000 per month rent. If you are working any kind of job in Williston you should be able to afford $800-900 per month to make it here. If you can't you probably have a house payment, debt, child support, bad habits, that you wouldn't make it anywhere in the country. Williston is not a bail out plan. Nothing is free here or anywhere else for that matter. Complaining about paying RV park rent is ridiculous.
Why should it be the county's problem when we have even less resources to deal with it than the city does? The city annexes every tax source it can get its grubby paws on which makes it dang hard for the county to find the funds to continue growing departments and keep up with demands for services. The SO is already smaller than the PD with much more area to cover and you want to force hundreds if not thousands of people back out into the county for them to police?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 AM

Funny enough, I was discussing w/ my son the RV issues etc., now he has every opportunity to be making the "big" oil field money, since I have a home there and his dad runs a major co. He doesn't even want to go near Williston. He says he thinks the State is the one that has dropped the ball, letting all the various oil companies come here, knowing there are these major problems being caused in the Western part of the state. I am thinking he has a valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston