Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 19,272 times

Advertisements

We are in Phoenix, my Stepson and I have been looking thru these forums. He has been unemployed for a while and needs a new start at a new and exciting career. He is 23 and has mechanical abilities with some welding and auto repair experience. He can also cook, clean and do manual labor. We are sold on the idea that he has a better chance in ND to get a job that can be a career. I have just about purchased him a bus ticket but he is scared.

After reading thru the forums is there a cookie cutter step by step advice I can give him to make him less scared of the change.

1. arrive in town
2. find the church seek shelter
3. get a day job (walmart)
4. apply at the oil field jobs

Is there anyone willing to be a sponsor and show him around?
It would make his mother and him feel more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM

159 posts, read 350,851 times
Dont get me started But yes any thing is possable

Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 PM

36 posts, read 98,797 times
Housing is the scary thing. And yes, without housing he should be scared. Jobs yes and with his skills he should have no problem finding one and making a good living. If he is scared of long hours then it is not the place for him if not then it might be. He will need to figure out the housing thing ASAP though. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
There is no way I would let my Son head here w/out family/friends and a place to live....much less no car. He should be scared. Think of a bad neighborhood where you are from, and imagine making him go there on foot. Don't make him do it. If you insist on sending him he better have a lot more preparation than a bus ticket. Have him apply online from your house. When he gets offers has interviews lined up, maybe even job offers w/ housing at a mancamp...You drive him here. For a kid w/ no place to stay, the Church??? There is no homeless shelter w/in 100 miles of Williston.
I'm putting some links up. This is a production that may start this year. This was their promo... these girls, two my son went to school with. Nice girls. Pay attention to the scenes w/ the oil field workers....the traffic etc. And this was last winter. This summer more folks, like you are proposing to send your step son, are coming out. http://www.luckydogfilmworks.com/television.html
Read threads by scorpio125....he came, he is a man over 30 took him weeks to find a job. Takes time, no experience jobs are all taken. Walmart....decent pay, but not enough to pay 2500 for a 1 bedroom apartment, if there was one. Give this a lot more thought and research many more threads. Not saying it is not possible....Just want you to pave his way as safely as possible....

Last edited by JanND; 06-16-2012 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: link

Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There is no way I would let my Son head here w/out family/friends and a place to live....much less no car. He should be scared. Think of a bad neighborhood where you are from, and imagine making him go there on foot. Don't make him do it. If you insist on sending him he better have a lot more preparation than a bus ticket. Have him apply online from your house. When he gets offers has interviews lined up, maybe even job offers w/ housing at a mancamp...You drive him here. For a kid w/ no place to stay, the Church??? There is no homeless shelter w/in 100 miles of Williston.
I'm putting some links up. This is a production that may start this year. This was their promo... these girls, two my son went to school with. Nice girls. Pay attention to the scenes w/ the oil field workers....the traffic etc. And this was last winter. This summer more folks, like you are proposing to send your step son, are coming out. Lucky Dog Filmworks
Read threads by scorpio125....he came, he is a man over 30 took him weeks to find a job. Takes time, no experience jobs are all taken. Walmart....decent pay, but not enough to pay 2500 for a 1 bedroom apartment, if there was one. Give this a lot more thought and research many more threads. Not saying it is not possible....Just want you to pave his way as safely as possible....
Here is a thread w/ some company names and info. Apply online, check out the available jobs at the various sites. Welding is a good skill to have, mechanic is a good skill to have. The housing issue is the deal breaker, especially on foot. COMMUNITY JOB Links, Websites & resources:Add your's as you discover new resources... ( 1 2 3 4) Folks on this forum will tell you the truth about any offers he gets, post a question re: pay etc.
Don't fall for the scam "rents" on those popular websites...Don't pay for any job.
Here is a thread by a young man that recently made the move...Good common sense advice.
Made it here: Advice for Newcomers ( 1 2 3)

Last edited by JanND; 06-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: link

Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Ditto: What She said Im taking it that Phonenix is short on new and exciting careers, I know when i was Younger I had friends go to Phonenix from So Cal for work in Construction. Without a car and a Grand in his pocket I wouldnt think of letting him go out there. I had read somwhere in the past that welders were high in the high payed field up there. But you said some. it apperars to me now that with all the entry level people they have already hired up there that they are starting to look for more experience. A couple things come to mind, You could start by calling the man camps and seeing if they have any general help in the mancamps them self. that would reassure someone would have a roof over there head and I believe meals are included. Target is one of the main companys running man camps up there and they could tell you or anyone else the name of others. Once in there, doors will start to open. Another sure fire in a round about way is go into Trucking. Insurance companies make it hard for many to get jobs with less than 2 years Exp. But thats not the case in every situation. Ive heard many rookies are driving up there. First u would want to drive for a company for at least three month with clean record then start shooting apps at the sub contractors or mom an pop outfits. Much safer bet with a year under your belt but many are getting in with a lot less. Plus OTR trucking would prepare one for the long hours that will come in a oil field , And its a new and exciting career. with a nice pay check. After enough time you can pick and choose thru Companies. Best way if you dont have a uncle or friend with a trucking company is go to driving school for 4 to 6 weeks then on to a trucking company. The best way to do that yourself is to pay for it yourself or find a Govt. Grant to pay for it like I did ten years ago. WIA is who I used. Other than that is what i call selling your soul to the Devil when U go with one of the companies that offer schooling but you have to work for them for 1 year And many things can go wrong then you end up Oweing about five grand for not makeing it the full year. Some can And Some cant. Just a couple Ideas

Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 10,175 times
greatest thread in here. You guys are really helpful. thanks

Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 AM

11 posts, read 19,272 times
Thanks JanND, Jefferyz, MTmike7.

Yes, I have seen the Boomtown girls video and have followed Scorpio125. Still..maybe its more exciting to me being 50 to leave caution to the wind and follow a dream. Glad the pioneers that settled the west didn't think about where they were going to sleep. He has a girlfriend here who's dad is up there doing construction somewhere, The only problem is the dad didn't like him when he was dating his daughter. He says he going to give him a call anyway.

We will check out the links and thread you suggested JanND.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Here is the web page for Target Logistics. I have heard that you can work up to 6 weeks, w/ 2 off. Also heard that you don't leave the site while you are on the clock, very long hours. But, housing and meals are part of the deal last I heard.
Modular Housing , Oil Field Housing , Workforce Housing ? Target Logistics Read the fine print if you get offered any job....I still say shoot the apps out online. Take copies of each app and your resume if you go in person....hundreds of apps come to these folks daily so you'll be ahead having them w/ you.
Another idea...Dad...take a week and drive him up there, help line him out. Who knows, with your sense of adventure maybe you'll want to stay. Good luck young man

Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmworld View Post
Thanks JanND, Jefferyz, MTmike7.

Yes, I have seen the Boomtown girls video and have followed Scorpio125. Still..maybe its more exciting to me being 50 to leave caution to the wind and follow a dream. Glad the pioneers that settled the west didn't think about where they were going to sleep. He has a girlfriend here who's dad is up there doing construction somewhere, The only problem is the dad didn't like him when he was dating his daughter. He says he going to give him a call anyway.

We will check out the links and thread you suggested JanND.
Hey I agree with u 100% now days But does circle the wagons and Custers last stand bring any sleeping ideas to mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston