Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 12,913 times

Advertisements

Will the odds be in my favor to land a gooood paying job if i just traval to willliston. Warehouse or not i just need the career. Do people see these jobs being there for the nxt 20 yrs. I have a friend up ther working there right now but says his boss will not hire a man with a fam... Any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshlemanaz View Post
Will the odds be in my favor to land a gooood paying job if i just traval to willliston. Warehouse or not i just need the career. Do people see these jobs being there for the nxt 20 yrs. I have a friend up ther working there right now but says his boss will not hire a man with a fam... Any help would be great

Sounds like a boss you want to work for anyway. No one can predict 20 years. Oil is down, the ND patch has slowed a bit. I'd be thinking 1 year way before 20. There are still jobs here but they aren't 100k with a heart beat type jobs. You'll have to be more qualified than the other people applying. Employers are getting rid of dead weight but trying to keep the dedicated, qualified employees busy and happy. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

114 posts, read 355,517 times
F. Temporary Workers in Short Supply (H-2B Visas):
This visa category is available to an employer that has a need for services or labor that is either a one-time occurrence, a seasonal need, a peak load need or an intermittent need. The employer must show not only that foreign national workers will be needed for a temporary period of time, but that there will be no need to replace foreign national workers after their visas expire because of the temporary nature of the position itself. The employer must advertise the position in accordance with DOL regulations and offer the position at the “prevailing wage” to obtain a temporary labor certification from the DOL proving unavailability of U.S. labor. Upon approval of the temporary labor certification, the employer files an H-2B visa petition with the USCIS.

H-2B visas are limited to the duration of the employer’s need for services, initially up to one year with two one-year extensions possible, but difficult, to obtain.

Interesting break down on options for foreign nationals to work in the US - summer work program for students is titled different than the H-2B.

Visa & Immigration Center

International Student Visa and Immigration Center

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrickett View Post
Thanks Elk Hunter. So, for example, in Williston does the fast food owner provide housing (oops, I see you answered that, the owner provides housing and transportation). With housing non-exsistant there or sky high if a bed comes open I can't see how that pencils out for the owner of a franchise food business. Or do they pay their foreign "special visa" kids less an hour or charge them back partly for transportation and housing or any of these scenarios? Fascinating.

Also, if the foreign kid works the one year, do they get some kind of special visa to stay in the US and work anywhere they want for unlimited time, in any state?

Sheds some light on why I kept hearing stories of young people from far away (ie, Hungary) in Williston, ND working fast food. Thought it was weird, had no idea about this program.
Here in Sheridan Wyoming, the employer pays the foreign help the same wage they advertise in the paper. On top of that is housing and transportation.

It's a win win for the employer because he can advertise for $9 an hour and know fully well he won't get anybody in the patch to work for that. These are guarenteed employee's for one year at that wage.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM

45 posts, read 86,225 times
Which should be not allowed. It clearly states you as the employer must show you do not plan on replacing that position once the foreigner leaves, which most of these positions are necessary for the business meaning they will have you replace them our close down. So they don't pay out area wage, meanwhile they're business booms from the increased oil money and related work. But locals can't afford to work there because they are competing with either country with an entirely different set of economics.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
They are actually bringing in foreign workers for the service jobs like fast food? Are they having trouble bringing in domestic workers for that kind of work? Even with the UE numbers I am surprised. Does anyone know where I can look up demographics for the population of that area of North Dakota that includes the newly arrived workers?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They are actually bringing in foreign workers for the service jobs like fast food? Are they having trouble bringing in domestic workers for that kind of work? Even with the UE numbers I am surprised. Does anyone know where I can look up demographics for the population of that area of North Dakota that includes the newly arrived workers?
In the area that pays big bucks for oil workers, yes, they cannot get domestic workers for $9 an hour. It is impossible. But they can bring in Foreign workers that are required to work for those wages in order to get a foot in the door for entering the US. They have to work for 1 year. The Fast food outfits can't get anybody unless it is a temp worker to get a paycheck while waiting for a "Oil Job".

Old 07-28-2012, 12:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
I thought even fast food was paying much more than the rest of the country. I have heard numbers as high as $20/hr. What is the real average wage for fast food then?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Most fast food here is paying 12 to start which is just enough to think you'll be making enough to live on. The issue is, of course, housing. I don't know if the fast food industry is paying OT but the Taco Johns in town was advertising they had housing available for their night manager. You'll be competing against a lot of foreign nationals here who are on student or youth visas working. That has helped local businesses get the help but I don't know how many will be able to stay once college starts back in September.

Landscaping jobs are pretty minimal. Most are really just interested in getting the yard mowed.

Oil rigs, as has been said before, really aren't taking inexperienced hands now. Considering that the drilling is beginning to slow due to economics, I can't say if they will again.
Evidently there aren't alot of lawn services available. I was told last year that if my kid came w/ his lawn equipment he could make a fortune. So....your landscaping may be a money maker....lots of very expensive homes going in. I would highly recommend online apps, job searches. Very expensive to live in western N.D.....no housing unless you luck out w/ housing being provided w/ your job. I know Annabelle homes is building a lot of the shopping center....Montana based....check re: your supervisor experience. JobsND is a good job link. The Williston shopper, the Williston Herald. and a publication called Talkin the Bakken...good info...good luck...just be very prepared.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Kyo Kyo started this thread

7 posts, read 10,605 times
Thanks everybody. As always, you have been nothing but helpful and just plain awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston