Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

18 posts, read 40,200 times

Advertisements

I was there in Williston I saw but it is not easy
- Expensive (houssing if you have one, Stores, CDL $4500 Williston, $2400 in Texas)
- Cleaners ( you must wait for one week0
- Shower ($8.00/day Elite or $3.00/day raymond Community)
- Sleeping at church is not easy.

You can make $16.00 but if one bedroom is $1400.00, chicken $9.87 what do you do? Nothing, I moved back home. I saw some people after 2 or 3 weeks go back home. it is not easy.
There is a big difference between newspaper (erroneous information) and reality and there is a gap between the reality and newspaper (incorrect Infomation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM

45 posts, read 86,071 times
Amen to that. I'm finding that it takes a while to get into a "good" job here. Lots of jobs paying decent (16 an hour) but with no overtime that's 32000 a year, no way can you make it here on that kind of wage. That's workable for a support spouse, like a wife husband or someone who is here with an oil field guy. But its not like many sources have made it sound like.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM

174 posts, read 377,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokahi117 View Post
Amen to that. I'm finding that it takes a while to get into a "good" job here. Lots of jobs paying decent (16 an hour) but with no overtime that's 32000 a year, no way can you make it here on that kind of wage. That's workable for a support spouse, like a wife husband or someone who is here with an oil field guy. But its not like many sources have made it sound like.
I managed to make it here at 25.5k, then 32k. then 36k and now 42k. I don't live great and I pnich pennies sometimes but I am "making it".

Old 07-30-2012, 07:17 AM

114 posts, read 355,003 times
So many car mechanics from Williston have moved on to big money in the oil field, expect a 2 week wait to get your car looked at if you have mechanical troubles and the few shops that there are are charging between $120-$140 hour shop time plus parts. I would imagine there is a mark up on the parts, most shops do that. Just expect it because if you are out there and have an issue it is a BIG problem getting your vehicle fixed, and if you are living in Williston, you need to have a vehicle.

Do not come to Williston on Amtrack, with your back pack, and just expect to magically make it, you will end up in trouble.

Stay safe everyone.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,347,278 times
Where were you shopping that chicken was $9.87??? I get the organic stuff and it doesn't cost that much.

I think most papers are covering the difficulties a lot better now. From what I've seen they're being honest about the housing and cost of living problems. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a job willing to offer you overtime at $16/hr.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,347,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrickett View Post
So many car mechanics from Williston have moved on to big money in the oil field, expect a 2 week wait to get your car looked at if you have mechanical troubles and the few shops that there are are charging between $120-$140 hour shop time plus parts. I would imagine there is a mark up on the parts, most shops do that. Just expect it because if you are out there and have an issue it is a BIG problem getting your vehicle fixed, and if you are living in Williston, you need to have a vehicle.
When I got rear ended this last winter my actual appointment to get my car fixed was more than 2 months after the accident. Ours went through insurance, I think the final cost to replace the bumper, do some fixing up on the paint and replace some panel clips was around $2,000+ but we only paid our deductible ($500). However, the wait time is what shocked my insurance company. I had to get a rental car and they asked when I would need it, I told them and they couldn't believe it was taking me that long to get my car in.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:25 AM

18 posts, read 40,200 times
Lisan23
At Economart
- fried chicken costs $9.87. I say $9.87, I can"t forget that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: