Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times

Advertisements

jhf2140: I think you should check out some of the realtor ads on the willistonherald.com site. They have the links to available real estate. It seems most of what is for sale is land, very old tiny houses, larger expensive, and a few under construction. If you are looking for a fixer upper, I saw a couple older larger homes that could probably be converted into apartments. This would be the time to buy, remodel-convert, and let the renters pay your mortgage. If this oil boom continues for a few years, and Williston does get an oil refinery, ethanal plant, and potato processing plant in the next few years, I think you will get your money back out of it. I'm guessing even if the oil slows down, the local economy will still be pretty healthy. I was up in Williston a couple months ago, and from the number of oil companies putting up new wharehouses, yards, and offices...I'm guessing it will be around a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 04:57 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
The best of luck to you in your endevour to be in Willisotn. I think you'll like it.

One thing I've noticed.... Wherever Ive moved for work, the younger set in town (high school/college aged) can't wait to get out. However, being just outside of college age, I love it.

Some people who've lived in a town their whole lives don't realize how good their town is until theyve lived elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
Before you move to Williston, contact their local college and talk to them about working in the oil industry. They now have college courses in the oil industry to help people get better paying jobs, and this help oil industry in saving money for training. ct

Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM

7 posts, read 47,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I lived in Williston for a few months.

It's got a Walmart, 2 grocery stores, a movie rental place, PLENTY of places to eat.. several hotels and motels.

It's got 3 radio stations, 2 of em are pretty good.

There's usually something to do in Williston, a community event or whatnot going on.

I live here in Williston also...at least, temporarily. Everything you say is correct..except 'PLENTY of places to eat'. Huh? In terms of sit-down dining, there's Applebees, Gramma Sharon's, Dakota Farms, and maybe Pierce's. There are a few chain fast-food places and a few other mom/pop restaurants of course, but I certainly would not classify Williston as having PLENTY of places to eat.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxdood View Post
I live here in Williston also...at least, temporarily. Everything you say is correct..except 'PLENTY of places to eat'. Huh? In terms of sit-down dining, there's Applebees, Gramma Sharon's, Dakota Farms, and maybe Pierce's. There are a few chain fast-food places and a few other mom/pop restaurants of course, but I certainly would not classify Williston as having PLENTY of places to eat.
your forgetting some: Lonnies, Airport International INN, El Rancho, Castle Cafe, Courthouse Cafe (soon to be expanded) , Gingers, 2 chinese places, Jack & Jewels, The Lunch Box, Trappers Kettle, WeBe Pizza, and what do you mean "Maybe Pierces" pierces is probably the best (and most expensive) in town.

now that list was ONLY sit down here are some fast food joints:

Quiznos, 2 subways, hardees, arbys, taco johns, KFC, McDonalds, Burger Queen, Pizza Hut, Dominos,

Im sure there are more but i just cant think of any more right now

Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxdood View Post
I still would... I didn't eat out ALL the time, but when I did, I rarely at at the same twice twice in a row or goit tired of my choices.

There is a sit down type diner place that serves some downhome cooking type meals... I think it's closer to the edge of town, I just can't remember the name of it, but it was good. I ate there a few times with a friend of mine from Sidney, but the name is escaping me.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: I emailed a friend of mine who works in Sidney, MT and he tells me it's "Grandma Sharons"

Last edited by ComputerUser000; 04-11-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM

7 posts, read 47,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel102285 View Post
your forgetting some: Lonnies, Airport International INN, El Rancho, Castle Cafe, Courthouse Cafe (soon to be expanded) , Gingers, 2 chinese places, Jack & Jewels, The Lunch Box, Trappers Kettle, WeBe Pizza, and what do you mean "Maybe Pierces" pierces is probably the best (and most expensive) in town.

now that list was ONLY sit down here are some fast food joints:

Quiznos, 2 subways, hardees, arbys, taco johns, KFC, McDonalds, Burger Queen, Pizza Hut, Dominos,

Im sure there are more but i just cant think of any more right now
Yeah, that's true. Guess it matters what one would define as 'nice, sit down' (I realize I just changed from only 'sit-down' to 'nice, sit-down') and I would agree that Williston has quite a few places to eat for a town its size. But coming from a place like Fargo with all the major chains, a person might be disappointed. Let me put it this way..yes, Lonnie's is a place to eat (and the food really is pretty good I think), but would you want to take a date there? It's basically a 'greasy spoon' attached to a gas station. See what I'm getting at? Places to eat with any kind of ambiance are definitely lacking. Jack 'n Jewel's..another example of fantastic bbq (in fact I think there's is some of the best I've had)..wouldn't want to go there on a Saturday night though. Trapper's Kettle is nice though...I did forget about that one!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 AM

I have to agree on this one. As much as I like Williston, they don't have many national chains of anything. The owners tend to pass off the chains so they don't have to pay the franchise fee's. So you get places like Burger Queen, etc... same for their Hotels...I think Super 8 is about the only chain hotel. (the International Inn used to be a Ramada, and Best Valu used to be a Select Inn) Williston is in need of some new fast food places like Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, and could use another 24hr like Perkins or Denny's. As far as nicer places...I'm not sure if Williston is large enough to attract places like TGIF, Chili's or Ground Round...but they do need a couple more places like the Applebee's they currently have. Maybe in a couple years if Williston keeps growing, more chains will come in and invest in Williston.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,038 times
Williston sucks i lived there for 3 years everything is over priced gas, walmart everything most of all its all sent on expanding on the oil field and building more for it it wont allow chains to come in like menards for fear of hurting local business dont go i live in fargo no and live on about half of what it used to cost me there

Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Williston doesn't PREVENT these retail chains from coming in. Williston would love to have them. It is the retail chains who have the say in where they will locate. Many will not even consider towns the size of Williston, as they require the demographics to include 25,000-50,000 people within a certain mile radius of a city. Williston has only 20,000 people in Williams county. Hopefully Williston can keep growing with the oil and as people move in, may someday get some of these stores. You can have towns smaller than Williston with Menards and Target (ex. Alexandria or Fergus Falls MN) but when you look at the bigger picture...those towns are located in counties with 50,000 or more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston