Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM

200 posts, read 274,035 times

Advertisements

I've recently worked 2 years in the lobster industry in Maine and looking for work elsewhere. I'm thinking about going for my Class A CDL w/Hazmat, Tanker, Double/Triple endorsements but I don't want to spend a few grand on the course only to get to ND and be told I need a year of driving experience. I see a lot of oil jobs up there, a few of them have said no experience necessary but 90% of them look to be asking for a year's experience.

I'm 22 years old, physically fit, professional, I would be soaked head to toe with borderline ice water in the middle of winter 6-7 days a week so I'm no stranger to cold. I believe I have the experience to work hard and in cold conditions, I just don't have any experience in oil or CDL driving.

Any recommendations/tips on what I should do? Are there companies hiring no experience (I've heard people say Schlumberger)? Are there driving companies hiring people who just got their CDL and don't have experience? I know there are some companies that will hire you at 21, some at 23, some not until 25. I pretty much have no shot with applying online through staffing agencies all the way from Maine right?

I would have probably about $500 when I get there and if I'm right about staffing agencies I'll probably have no job and nowhere to stay. Just looking for honest answers. If I have no shot just tell me like it is.

Thanks

Last edited by lobsta; 03-08-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,695 times
Head east. (Jamestown, Fargo, Grand Forks). Plenty of work, MUCH more affordable living. Then you can explore if you want to go out west.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. Would you say getting a Class A CDL will be worth it at 22 years old with no experience? Many jobs I see advertised online up there are asking for a Class A and many a year's driving experience so I don't want to spend a few thousand on the CDL, get there with it and it be useless. I suppose walking in person to some of these places like Schlumberger and Halliburton sooner or later I'll get a job but I'm just wondering if I should go up with or without a CDL. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM

168 posts, read 335,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would you say getting a Class A CDL will be worth it at 22 years old with no experience? Many jobs I see advertised online up there are asking for a Class A and many a year's driving experience so I don't want to spend a few thousand on the CDL, get there with it and it be useless. I suppose walking in person to some of these places like Schlumberger and Halliburton sooner or later I'll get a job but I'm just wondering if I should go up with or without a CDL. Thanks.
Getting a CDL is worth it. There are truck driving jobs in every state, not just North Dakota. You could get your CDL and not even come to North Dakota and it would still be worth it.

When are you planing on coming here? How much money do you have to survive off of?
Just curious because we got another blizzard that swept through here and dumped more snow and temps are low, would be foolish to come here with nothing right now or to be sleeping out of a car, you would end up dying.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
Getting a CDL is worth it. There are truck driving jobs in every state, not just North Dakota. You could get your CDL and not even come to North Dakota and it would still be worth it.

When are you planing on coming here? How much money do you have to survive off of?
Just curious because we got another blizzard that swept through here and dumped more snow and temps are low, would be foolish to come here with nothing right now or to be sleeping out of a car, you would end up dying.
It would take me about $500 to get there. I'd want to have another $500 to get back just in case I don't find anything. And Maybe $500-$1,000 saved up to last me until I find a job. I may come in the fall but I've heard a lot more hiring goes on after Jan 1st so I could put it off until then.

Is it really impossible to live in a car even during the winter? Say I had 10 thick blankets? As crazy as it sounds I want to save every last dime that I possibly can for a couple years up there to pay for college. Hopefully I'll get a company that provides housing but I'm not counting on it and I plan on working as much as possible anyway.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,695 times
I will say it again, why not start in the East. Then you can explore out West. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
I will say it again, why not start in the East. Then you can explore out West. Just my 2 cents.
Is the pay decent in the east? I'm pretty much just looking for as much work and as high pay as possible for about two years to save up. I'm not expecting $30 an hour or anything but I'll work for $16 or $17 an hour as long as there's opportunity for a lot of OT.

I'll definitely take a look at the east though.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,213 times
Quote:
Is the pay decent in the east? I'm pretty much just looking for as much work and as high pay as possible for about two years to save up. I'm not expecting $30 an hour or anything but I'll work for $16 or $17 an hour as long as there's opportunity for a lot of OT.

I'll definitely take a look at the east though.
Perhaps start as a construction laborer first. There are jobs out there that require a strong back and pay twice minimum wage. Then when you've proven that you will stay in ND / Bakken, you will get serious looks at other higher jobs.

There's a company in Grand Forks that is putting in new Railroad track in the Bakken (for loading railcars of oil as well as doubling track to allow trains to move in opposite directions simultaneously). They would move you from place to place every few weeks, so lodging almost has to be provided. Pay looks to be $14 an hour with benefits.

http://rrcontracting.net/Employment%...ity/index.html

All kinds of highway construction jobs will open up soon. All kinds of concrete pouring type jobs will be in demand. Anything construction will be in huge demand as spring rolls in.

http://www.ndworkforceconnection.com...=&zip=&radius=

Job Service North Dakota

Last edited by fourwinds; 03-15-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Perhaps start as a construction laborer first. There are jobs out there that require a strong back and pay twice minimum wage. Then when you've proven that you will stay in ND / Bakken, you will get serious looks at other higher jobs.

There's a company in Grand Forks that is putting in new Railroad track in the Bakken (for loading railcars of oil as well as doubling track to allow trains to move in opposite directions simultaneously). They would move you from place to place every few weeks, so lodging almost has to be provided. Pay looks to be $14 an hour with benefits.

Employment Opportunity

All kinds of highway construction jobs will open up soon. All kinds of concrete pouring type jobs will be in demand. Anything construction will be in huge demand as spring rolls in.

http://www.ndworkforceconnection.com...=&zip=&radius=

Job Service North Dakota
Cool thanks. Do you know if these construction jobs are working a lot of OT especially in the summer? I know at least up here in Maine they try to do as much construction as possible in the summer. I'm thinking of starting college next Spring semester the beginning of next year and I'd like to try to work as much as possible until January. So if I do come out it'll probably be within a month or two months at the latest because that only gives me about 7 months to earn. Do you know where it would be best for me to start looking? Like where in ND you think I'd most likely and quickly find work around the beginning of June? I'd like to try to save at least $10,000. I should be able to do that at $14 an hour/40 hours a week for 7 months but if they can give me plenty of OT I'd be pumped.

I have a cheap pickup truck and got a camper that sits in the bed. It has heat and everything in it so I think I should be good now for a place to stay if they don't offer housing.

Last edited by lobsta; 03-16-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,213 times
Quote:
Cool thanks. Do you know if these construction jobs are working a lot of OT especially in the summer? I know at least up here in Maine they try to do as much construction as possible in the summer. I'm thinking of starting college next Spring semester the beginning of next year and I'd like to try to work as much as possible until January. So if I do come out it'll probably be within a month or two months at the latest because that only gives me about 7 months to earn. Do you know where it would be best for me to start looking? Like where in ND you think I'd most likely and quickly find work around the beginning of June? I'd like to try to save at least $10,000. I should be able to do that at $14 an hour/40 hours a week for 7 months but if they can give me plenty of OT I'd be pumped.

I have a cheap pickup truck and got a camper that sits in the bed. It has heat and everything in it so I think I should be good now for a place to stay if they don't offer housing.
Start applying right now in Maine for any job that you can reasonably qualify for. State that you can be there in three days and will bring housing with you. The building construction season will be really busy and they need to gear up right now before the frost is out of the ground. Highway construction is going to be gangbusters too and that likely has more OT.

The railroad construction job actually provides benefits and room while on the 10 on (not on the 4 days off) and is reputable.

Most of those type jobs would work through at least November. Try to be in ND by at least mid-April. There can still be cold spells but not below zero (and even under 20 F is unlikely). The earlier you come for construction season, the more likely you can get some type of promotion by summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston