Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Chances are if you take some time to drive elsewhere in North Dakota....say the areas not so inundated with so many out of stater's you'll experience the rural warmth that you're missing. A person can always go home too.

So....Why are you in Williston....soaking up culture or looking for a job?

The truth is folks are "over it" There are thousands of folks who've been coming here, just like you for the past few years. For you it is an adventure....For folks that have been here you're maybe just another "wanna be oil rich" kid from somewhere else.

Try practicing what you preach regarding friendliness....it will come back to you...maybe not every time....but it will come. Good luck on that.

Last edited by JanND; 05-06-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: edit text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM

114 posts, read 355,555 times
Default Try this, doesn't always work but costs you nothing :)

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
get over it.

You have a problem with someone, say something to them about it to their face, not to everyone else. I would have put them on the spot right then and there and asked for the service I paid for, politely of course (at least at first)

Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 12,345 times
I've gotten this attitude from people in Minot as well who've relocated here from out of state for jobs or the Air Force. All you can really do is treat others as you would like to be treated, and realize that not everyone you meet is going to be friendly - local or migrant.

A cliched problem I've found is that misery absolutely loves company, and many people who've had bad experiences feed off of each others' complaints and never try to move on and adapt. While you may agree with them, you don't want associate with these people because they're negative and will never let you be happy here, even when things are good. Keep being friendly, keep trying, and you will make friends and have good experiences.

Things will get better, I promise

Last edited by Wendigo; 05-10-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 AM

36 posts, read 98,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I've been living full time in Williston now for nearly 2 years and part time before that for a year or so. I have not have any of these problems you've described. At work, I have found the native people from North Dakota some of the friendliest people I have ever met and very helpful. They are very happy for me that I am making North Dakota my home and ask me how they can help me in any way.

And as one of the posters mentioned, a large amount of people in the Williston area are not from Williston or North Dakota. They're from all over the country and I have met many of them too.

YMMV.
I have lived in Williston for close to the year and this has been my experience as well. The locals from Williston are some of the friendliest, most helpful people I have met anywhere.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,415 times
I'm sorry you had that experience, maybe it was just "one of those days". I am also from a small town in Idaho and I recently visited Williston. I ate out and visited many places downtown. Some of the people (maybe local, maybe not) seemed to be lacking in the "cheerful customer service" department, but I would say most of them where friendly. I feel like I know everyone in my town and I love to talk with people everywhere I go here. Maybe if you're used to that kind of atmosphere, you're perceiving the unfamiliar people as more hostile than they really are. I will be moving to Williston in about a week and I'm already feeling homesick. I talked with the apartment people today and she was very friendly but I decided to be mad at her anyway. I told my husband she used the phrase "..well here in Williston.." and for some reason it rubbed me wrong. I think I'm over it now, she really was nice, but sometimes the unfamiliar appears more unfriendly than it really is.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
LadyIdaho...welcome to Williston! I don't think anyone is trying to be unfriendly or anything. I think what has happened, is there are so many stories, exaggerations, misconceptions about Williston. Many people in Williston, both local and new, have to listen to angry workers who DON"T want to be in Williston and would rather be back home...so they sometimes can take it out on the local workers in the retail and service sector. I don't know how many people I've listened to, who stand in lines at the grocery store or what ever and rip and bash Williston. They tend to compare the services in Williston with places like Boise, Salt Lake, Oklahoma, etc... people have to realize Williston is not a huge town with the services of the bigger cities and towns. Not yet anyway. I think the stores, retail, restaraunts, etc... will come eventually. And people will enjoy Williston a little more. But I think it goes both ways. People bitchn' because they have to work in Williston and the North Dakota weather, and the people living in Williston (both local and new citizens) who have to listen to and put up with the Williston bashing. I think people are exhausted and tired...on both sides of the isle...lol In the end, home is what you make it. A person can find good in any place you live if you try.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,415 times
I believe you're right Roloff1976. All I have ever heard about Williston are complaints. A lot of workers are far away from family and are not looking to stay permanently, so it's easy to complain and make comparisons. My husband has been there for 2 1/2 months, his only complaint is that I'm not there (yet). It is almost exactly like the small town I live in now, with the exception of a little more traffic. We're moving there permanently so my attitude is a little different. Williston will be home.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 AM

6 posts, read 6,886 times
I think no matter what your looking for, it's possible to find it. if you go into something with a bad attitude, you'll find bad things. Go into it with a positive attitude, and you'll find good things. From this forum alone i've talked to many very friendly people about williston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston