Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years old, from Idaho, and have been in Williston since last monday.

The very first thing I noticed when getting into the area was how disgustingly rude the locals are. I am from a rural area, had a moral upbringing, and look like any normal human being. But it's like anywhere I go, locals stare at my like I'm an alien or something.

It's not only that, I have never been treated so poorly by people in my life. When I checked into the [Mod cut] Motel I was upbeat, trying to joke and kid with the desk clerk, and she just looked at me like "**** you". No emotion in her face, no joking back. Just silence and a ridiculous look.

When I went to [Mod Cut] for breakfast, this guy was buddies with the kid working the cash register. I was next in line, and stood there for 15 minutes while this guy asked how much he'd have to pay for 20 different combinations of food with his buddies discount. When I got up to the counter, instead of the kid working the register apologizing for the wait, he's literally leaning into the cash register to hold himself up and looks at me like 'the **** do you want'? Then as he's taking my order acts like I'm inconveniencing him.

The other night at the [Mod Cut] Motel, I go into the bar to watch the UFC fights. They have posters plastered all over the walls, and the bar door says UFC: watch it here. So all excited I go to the bar and they don't have them on. I ask the bartender about it and he gives me the remote to find it, I search through literally every channel and discover they simply don't have the channel (it wasn't PPV). So I'm in the lobby on the computer and offhandedly mention to the desk clerk working (who's about 5'2 275 pounds with only 6 or 7 teeth) that they're advertising the fights but yet aren't playing them and she immediately barks back "DO YOU WANT ME TO GET THE MANAGER?!"

These are just a few examples.

I have been to every state in the west. I'm a large 21 year old man from a rural part of Idaho. I'm no sissy, and I can put up with a lot of crap. But hands down, I have never been to a single city who's citizens are as disgustingly rude, ugly, and overweight as Williston ND. /rant

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Liability, language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,568 times
Who says those folks are from Williston?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
I have been in Williston for several years and neither myself nor my husband nor any of my friends have experienced anything like that.

Maybe it's you.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I have been in Williston for several years and neither myself nor my husband nor any of my friends have experienced anything like that.

Maybe it's you.
Yeah it must be that i have a sense of decency and respect. It must be that Im not down with the prostitutes and drugs that flood the city.

Youre clearly a local woman. I even called the publisher of the Newspaper in williston to complain and she was 100% in agreement with Me. Shes also from out of state.

I guess Its just coincidence multiple people on this forum alone have made threads about the conduct of locals. I guess its also coincidence That other decent out of staters i meet here complain about the exact same thing. Yup, coincidence

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho21 View Post
Yeah it must be that i have a sense of decency and respect. It must be that Im not down with the prostitutes and drugs that flood the city.

Youre clearly a local woman. I even called the publisher of the Newspaper in williston to complain and she was 100% in agreement with Me. Shes also from out of state.

I guess Its just coincidence multiple people on this forum alone have made threads about the conduct of locals. I guess its also coincidence That other decent out of staters i meet here complain about the exact same thing. Yup, coincidence
I was born in Rexburg but lived most my life in northern Utah. My best friend is from the same town in Utah. Two of my friends are from Wyoming, another from Rexburg. I've been in Williston for just over 3 years and have met grumpy locals an nice locals, just like I've met nasty out of staters and nice ones.

Some people just suck. Sucky people exist in Idaho and Utah too.

Btw Mitzi Moe has been in Williston longer than I have been. If I'm "local" then so is she.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 AM

103 posts, read 198,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
Who says those folks are from Williston?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
I've been living full time in Williston now for nearly 2 years and part time before that for a year or so. I have not have any of these problems you've described. At work, I have found the native people from North Dakota some of the friendliest people I have ever met and very helpful. They are very happy for me that I am making North Dakota my home and ask me how they can help me in any way.

And as one of the posters mentioned, a large amount of people in the Williston area are not from Williston or North Dakota. They're from all over the country and I have met many of them too.

YMMV.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM

231 posts, read 873,113 times
You should never judge how friendly an area is by your interactions with a few stressed out customer service workers at the end of their shifts.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
You called the newspaper to complain? I think that pretty much sums up your personality. Hopefully you can find some friends, move on with your life and let by gones be by gones. Some people might agree with you, but I think the majority would disagree. Remember (as was already pointed out by others) the majority of people in Williston are no longer locals. There are 2 - 3 times more people in Williston now than the original 12,500 prior to the boom. I think most of the people working the tills at the hotels/motels, service stations, food service, retail, etc... came here (as you did) to find a good paying job in hopes to better themselves and get some bills paid. Maybe many of them are feeling homesick, stressed, and maybe have heard and seen it all before. Like many people in Williston, they are tired and overworked. Maybe instead of badgering and complaining about people in Williston, try smiling and telling people to have a great day. Maybe you could be the better person...others might follow your lead? But in my many trips to Williston, I have not experienced the negative, rude attitudes you say you have gotten from people in Williston. As an example, when I pull up to the coffee kiosks for my cup of coffee, I tip them , thank them and always get a big smile and thank you in return.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Almost 75% of the town of Williston aren't locals, as least from the past 3 years. Assuming any employee at a motel or bar is a "real" local, is jumping to a huge conclusion. Moreover, anyone capable of arm movement is now considered employable. Five years ago, there wasn't incompetence in local service industries because locals needed to assure they had a paying job. Now, any competent service person has a much better paying job and the previously nearly unemployable types (from in town or out of state) have those lower paying jobs.

Have to consider too that any person in those type jobs likely doesn't have much for living arrangements. If you have 7 roommates in a trailer, likely that person wouldn't be that overly cheerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston