Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM

83 posts, read 114,284 times

Advertisements

Yes that is true. I forgot to mention that Menard pays for their hotel stay & has these guys flying back home to another state for 3 days off and work 4 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:00 AM

62 posts, read 122,803 times
Thanks for the input - I do appreciate it. Am in Ohio now, about to crash after 13 hours on the road. Just for the record, my food service experience has always been owner/ operator, but the last 10 months it's been baking in a donut shop, working into a kitchen manager position. The pay sucks, even as a kitchen manager, and I am still waiting for the current manager to retire. I left the whole mess far behind me - looking towards the future now...

Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 PM

746 posts, read 1,723,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirter View Post
Thanks for the input - I do appreciate it. Am in Ohio now, about to crash after 13 hours on the road. Just for the record, my food service experience has always been owner/ operator, but the last 10 months it's been baking in a donut shop, working into a kitchen manager position. The pay sucks, even as a kitchen manager, and I am still waiting for the current manager to retire. I left the whole mess far behind me - looking towards the future now...
There have to be a number of restaurant manager positions open if you want to stay in that field. In Minot, JobsND.com is showing Longhorn, Ground Round, Pizza Hut, KFC all looking for general managers, as well as some new undisclosed restaurants looking. A lot of jobs in Minot have to pay double of what restaurants typically pay, and since demand and wages keep going up, there is a lot of churn in restaurant / retail workers getting higher pay elsewhere in town.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 AM

103 posts, read 197,654 times
im packin the van now! thanks for all the wonderful info guys!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM

I finally made it! What a loooong drive. I am amazed at what I have seen so far along the way. Gas at 4.30 gal, tolls like I never expected, I think the final tally is somewhere north of $50.00 or 60 bucks. Then of course there are the idiot drivers, the traffic, Chicago even on a Sunday at 5 pm was miserable. The road construction seemed never ending. Then there is North Dakota - once entering the state, the speed limit jumps to 75 and let me tell you it is needed! It seemed 1/4th of my trip was thru the state of North Dakota, and my total miles were more than 2100 from my starting point! I am here, it seems everybody needs help, and from what I have seen in just 1 day it is beautiful. The badlands were the best. Day one went well. I applied at 4 companies. One sent me straight to the doctors office to get a physical, hoping I would return the same day. I have a driving test tomorrow at 9am for a second company, and this one seems promising. The other 2 will call me in 10 to 14 days if interested. I went shopping at Walmart, and it seemed slow actually, the prices were normal and the shelves were stocked. The traffic is not bad at all, a lot less than I expected. The pace seems slow to be honest. I think it's a beautiful area to say the least. Everybody I came into contact with was very nice, and even friendly. I am looking to find housing for my family - I need my wife and son here with me.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 8,855 times
Default Best of luck to you

I hope you find the job you're looking for dirt squirter. Keep us posted if you can. Ill be getting my class A at the end of June and will be heading to ND right after. Reading real life instances like yours are great and very much appreciated.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 AM

I was hired on as a driver and have already had my physical, drug test, bought my FR jeans, steel toed boots, and am scheduled to start my OSHA training next week. My manager said he wants me on the site for a rig move on Monday, just to gain some experience before I am even finished with my classes. I have never driven for a company before, and my only time behind the wheel was at school almost 8 years ago. I was hired on as much for my attitude than for my driving experience. I was told I beat out an applicant who had much more experience than me, but his attitude was a key factor in their decision to hire me. I will need training and they are willing to provide it to me. Salary will be almost 4 times what I was earning with my previous job, and I have been here in Williston for less than 1 week. I turned down the other company that wanted to hire me on, and I had 7 more places to apply to today before I was called in this morning to accept this job offer. I will be the hardest working one there - good luck to everybody and don't let anybody say it can't be done. I even found a house for rent that's 43 miles from Williston and it's cheap compared to most places, and I am flying back to my family in the middle of June to move everybody back here so we can be together. My new boss even says I can have up to 10 days for the move!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,898,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirter View Post
I was hired on as a driver and have already had my physical, drug test, bought my FR jeans, steel toed boots, and am scheduled to start my OSHA training next week. My manager said he wants me on the site for a rig move on Monday, just to gain some experience before I am even finished with my classes. I have never driven for a company before, and my only time behind the wheel was at school almost 8 years ago. I was hired on as much for my attitude than for my driving experience. I was told I beat out an applicant who had much more experience than me, but his attitude was a key factor in their decision to hire me. I will need training and they are willing to provide it to me. Salary will be almost 4 times what I was earning with my previous job, and I have been here in Williston for less than 1 week. I turned down the other company that wanted to hire me on, and I had 7 more places to apply to today before I was called in this morning to accept this job offer. I will be the hardest working one there - good luck to everybody and don't let anybody say it can't be done. I even found a house for rent that's 43 miles from Williston and it's cheap compared to most places, and I am flying back to my family in the middle of June to move everybody back here so we can be together. My new boss even says I can have up to 10 days for the move!
OUTSTANDING!!!!! Congratulation! It can be done and you are living proof. Like you say, attitude is a big factor. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks all, I will keep posting here, good or bad, with my progress.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,855 times
Awesome!! That's great to hear!

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston