Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM

10 posts, read 15,359 times

Advertisements

Dirtsquirter, when you took this job did you know it was an OTR gig? Does it raise any questions in your mind that you were given an oversized load of steel to go OTR? We're you thinking you were going to be an oilfield driver? I'm just curious. I know you're very excited but I'm just trying to get you to be aware. I've driven everything out here but Crude and I'm telling you the trucking industry is notorious for smoke and mirrors. Especially in the Patch. I truly hope this works out for you but please keep your spidey senses tuned in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM

62 posts, read 123,171 times
I appreciate the advice. Answering your questions, no- I was not hired on as an otr driver, but the company has locations in various parts of the US, so they will occasionally send drivers to their locations to deliver or pick up units. I was picked to haul my first oversize load to the south as a way of breaking me in, and also finding out early on if I can cut the mustard. The lesson and the trip were invaluable, to say the least. I can now safely and confidently move one of these loads 1 mile or 2000 miles, whichever may be needed at any given time. My job is mainly in the oilfields here in ND. I have been on 7 or more moves, all in the Bakken. I will be home every night to spend time with my family, and that to me is the most important part of this whole deal. After talking with the other drivers, I have found most have traveled out of state only a couple times in a year. I realize that there are companies that exploit their drivers, work them 16 or more hours a day, and otherwise burn them out until they either move on to another company or just sleep in their cabs next to a big bag of money. It's not for me. I have also come to the realization that this company does not pay the most, but it is not a back breaking job either. I believe it to be a happy medium between earning great money, and still being home every night with an occasional weekend day off and 10+ weeks off per year. I feel lucky to have found it the first time out, and almost every driver here has been here 1+ years or more. That in itself says something to me - in a place where driver turnaround is very high, this group of men have stayed on and all agree that it's a good place to work - so far I have to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston