Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:46 PM

19 posts, read 101,943 times

Advertisements

So with the housing shortage and all in this town, i was wondering to myself "why don't people just get a public storage unit and just crash there?" Am i missing something? Are people already doing this?

And yes i know it's illegal, but you know what, so is jaywalking and yet people do it anyway and don't go to jail.

Anyone in the area care to enlighten me on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM

746 posts, read 1,724,022 times
Last year at this time, there were no storage units available in Williston. Maybe that shortage has now abated somewhat.

Officials have little recourse to help displaced residents of Williston apartment building |

Unless a storage unit has electricity for heat, it simply isn't feasible to sleep in one in the winter unless one is equipped with arctic type sleep ware. Any type of combustion would cause carbon monoxide poisoning. That issue exists with cars too, especially a large snowfall or overnight drifting occurs (very common) where the tailpipe becomes covered in snow.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM

979 posts, read 3,661,698 times
Some people have tried this, but it wasn't the police who put a stop to it, it was the owners of the storage units. When you advertise "safe" "secure" storage units to customers, it doesn't become that when you have strangers hanging around the units in parked vehicles, grills, lawn chairs, makeshift clothes lines, etc... 24/7. Most storage units are not large enough to pull a vehicle into them, so unless you can hide your vehicle, yourself and all of your personal items out of site...it isn't going to happen. If the owners themselves didn't put a stop to it, I'm sure the cops would over time with a few complaints from other storage unit customers who are using them for storage, not housing.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 PM

19 posts, read 101,943 times
lol..well yeah if you're obvious about it will grills and lawn chairs then of course you'll be kicked out.

i figured that with the lack of affordable housing that this would be a creative way to at least have a place to sleep for a few hours.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 PM

36 posts, read 98,650 times
Wow, I am speechless. You seriously think this is a good idea? You are comparing this to Jaywalking?

Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 PM

36 posts, read 98,650 times
I don’t mean the last comment to sound rude. I just think people need to plan a bit more before they come up here and trash our town by pulling shenanigans like this.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM

3 posts, read 20,073 times
I have a storage unit for my boat and RV. The locks are on the outside.

Even if the lot owner allowed it, how would you lock yourself in at night?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 AM

4,562 posts, read 6,246,813 times
"why don't people just get a public storage unit and just crash there?".....

and you would relieve yourself where ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,809,949 times
They do it in CA.

Storage Unit "Tenants".

Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 AM

405 posts, read 1,276,647 times
I see posts on craigslist for roomates all the time up there (trailers, houses, RV, etc).
Reasonably priced too. I don't see the hastle unless yer tryin to rent a hotel room for $250 a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: