Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,348,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
Thank you so much, how helpful! This really helps me wrap my head around seriously considering such a big move.
We have one child in public school and two that we homeschool. Homeschooling is a respected lifestyle in this part of the country and people generally accept a parent's choice to offer the type of education that will work for each individual child at different stages of their life. There are hundreds of activities in town just for students that homeschool. Does anyone know about the perception of homeschooling in North Dakota?
I know a woman here in Williston who homeschools her kids. I don't know too much about it, but she said there is a group of them that do things and activities together. The facebook link DaninEGF posted is probably a good place to start as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Character View Post
One more question about housing. Am I understanding you correctly that it would be difficult to find a house to purchase because there are not enough houses available? It also sounds like they are quite expensive. Are there houses for rent...or just simply no houses, only apartments right now? It would be challenging to move from a large 4 bdr. to an apartment...hmmm...something to think about.
You can see a lot of the homes available for purchase here:

Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent - realtor.com®

Houses for rent are extremely rare and when they do come up they are often VERY expensive. I believe Bice properties had some at one point, they started off in the $4,000 range. A four bedroom apartment with them is going to be about $3,300. Buying a home is typically the cheaper option. If you don't care about having a new or updated home then you can get a place for a decent price. (Of course, decent depends on what you're used too.) Right now there's a house on Main Street that looks like it is in OK condition. It's got 4 bedrooms and 3 baths and is $165,000. However, with that price it will probably be sold in a few days. Houses that are reasonably priced sell VERY fast. Once it's under contract though expect a 1-2 month wait as they have to bring in appraisers from out of state.

The only place I know of that has consistent open rentals is Bice Properties. Their website is Bice ND. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM

36 posts, read 98,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYGRL View Post
personally I think this would be the very last place to bring a family.
I respect your right to an opinion, however I don't believe that this is a fair representation of Williston.

Williston is a great community with lots to offer. I hate to see a family turned away when more families are what we need.

I purchased a four bedroom house for well under the FHA max, you just have to be patient and willing to make a strong offer when a motivated seller is found.

Good luck to you and I hope you choose to make Williston your new home.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:19 PM

103 posts, read 197,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMike7 View Post
I respect your right to an opinion, however I don't believe that this is a fair representation of Williston.

Williston is a great community with lots to offer. I hate to see a family turned away when more families are what we need.

I purchased a four bedroom house for well under the FHA max, you just have to be patient and willing to make a strong offer when a motivated seller is found.

Good luck to you and I hope you choose to make Williston your new home.
I was actually thinking about moving to williston myself, but I kept getting negative feed back about how dangerous it is there for women. if its dangerous for women, wouldn't it be just as dangerous for children? and all I have heard about how bad the traffic is? I am familiar with bad traffic accidents due to the fact I grew up in a very large and hurried city as far as traffic was concerned. I have seen my share of family mini van accidents. I would still consider moving to williston myself. maybe the info on this thread may change my mind in regards to how it really is over there. I will keep reading this thread.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM

It's not dangerous for women. Now if you make dumb mistakes then you may find yourself in an unwanted position - but as long as your smart then you would be fine. Same goes for kids and anywhere else you live in the country.

For me the scariest thing is the traffic, but honestly if you avoid the busy roads it's not too bad. I can avoid the busiest roads to get almost everywhere.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,108,992 times
It is strongly suggested that anyone moving from another state come visit in person. ....but not knowing where you are now, by comparison there may be huge differences.
What are your other location offers, and what type jobs?
Here are a couple of links that may help you decide if Williston is for you:
//www.city-data.com/city/Willis...th-Dakota.html
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wi...296400?fref=ts

Last edited by JanND; 07-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM

3 posts, read 7,786 times
Default Williston or Dickenson Better for family

Hoping I can get some STRAIGHT UP ADVICE here. My husband currently works in the oilfield and for the last 2 years he has been flying from florida to Dickenson ND. We are considering moving to North Dakota to be more of a family as the company he works for offers housing. Now, comparing internet searches Williston looks like I could be raped in the Walmart parking lot with my 2 and 3 year old still in the shopping cart. Also when I click on images Dickenson looks alot more promising with thier community center and larger Network of Churches. The only thing that makes Williston a question is that he got offered a promotion in Williston. His Yard in Dickenson hasnt offered him that yet. Is all the internet articles about Williston being a wild west oil boom town true. I am most concerned about my safety and my kids. I am in no way a super model but i have blonde hair and Im in shape so from all the crazed men articles I have read about Williston I wouldnt feel safe running errands on my own.

Has anyone ever attended Calvary (a church) in Dickenson I attend Calvary here in Melbourne and if we left our home church I would love imput on the Pastor and church there. From thier facebook they look like a wonderful church.

I am already aware of the winters and to be prepaired to freeze. Im really only interested in what its like for a family and the safety aspects on going to the grocery store ect with my kids without my husband with me and what there is to do

Thanks everyone looking forward to hearing all if any replies!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,920,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbuckingham22 View Post
Hoping I can get some STRAIGHT UP ADVICE here. My husband currently works in the oilfield and for the last 2 years he has been flying from florida to Dickenson ND. We are considering moving to North Dakota to be more of a family as the company he works for offers housing. Now, comparing internet searches Williston looks like I could be raped in the Walmart parking lot with my 2 and 3 year old still in the shopping cart. Also when I click on images Dickenson looks alot more promising with thier community center and larger Network of Churches. The only thing that makes Williston a question is that he got offered a promotion in Williston. His Yard in Dickenson hasnt offered him that yet. Is all the internet articles about Williston being a wild west oil boom town true. I am most concerned about my safety and my kids. I am in no way a super model but i have blonde hair and Im in shape so from all the crazed men articles I have read about Williston I wouldnt feel safe running errands on my own.

Has anyone ever attended Calvary (a church) in Dickenson I attend Calvary here in Melbourne and if we left our home church I would love imput on the Pastor and church there. From thier facebook they look like a wonderful church.

I am already aware of the winters and to be prepaired to freeze. Im really only interested in what its like for a family and the safety aspects on going to the grocery store ect with my kids without my husband with me and what there is to do

First off, you are on the right track. Read these threads about Williston and the surrounding area. These threads are written by people that are there and are experiencing the area. Secondly, it's good to read the news, but remember, those news articles are sensationalized so that they can sell print. You won't have that problem here, you'll get honest answers.

Read through the different threads, even the ones that you don't think apply to your situation, because you will find lots of information hidden in all the threads.

Knowing what I know, if any one of my daughters wanted to move up to Williston to go to work, I would support them. I would caution them, but I wouldn't try to stop them. Being a little street wise will allow you to live, shop, recreate in that area, with few concerns. Little things like, you don't need to shop at WalMart at midnight, you don't need to jog down the main drag after dark, be stern, be smart/wise, and enjoy your time there. Good luck!

As far as weather, you are in for a shock. People in the oil patch do not have thermometers. They simply put the dog out and wait three minutes. If they have to go out and bust him loose from the tree, they go back in and put on a couple more layers before heading for work.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Like ElkHunter said, the news articles are sensationalized to present a point of view. Most men in this area are actually really good guys. When you take a minute to talk to them you'll realize that many are family men who, like your husband, work here and live elsewhere. I've never felt unsafe at the store, at the parks, taking a walk, or doing other activities.

There's a big sense of community among the actual families in both Williston and Dickinson. I have a friend who just relocated from Williston to Dickinson, both areas have groups of moms and women who have spouses who work in the oilfields. It's great to have people who understand the complicated schedules and hours your husband works. Here in Williston when we plan activities it's not uncommon for one of us to have to leave or cancel last minute because our husband who has been working is on his way home. No one gets upset over this because we all have to do it.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM

746 posts, read 1,724,256 times
Quote:

In Melbourne, Florida, you are three times as likely to have a crime committed against you or your family than in Williston. Data shows that Williston is safer than Fargo, but nobody on this board has any fear of Fargo's crime rate. People moving to Williston are ambitious and want a normal life. In Melbourne, there's a certain percentage of the people without ambition that go down there to just get by, as they won't freeze for more than a day or two in the "paradise" of Florida. That element can't get by in Williston in the winter.

Williston ND crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

WPD crime report 2011: Local crime rates lower than Fargo - Williston Herald: News

Quote:
Lokken said crime rates are actually worse today in Fargo than in Williston, and Williston’s crime rate per person hasn’t changed significantly. Some areas, Lokken said, have actually decreased in crime. There were fewer arrests made for gross sexual imposition (GSI) in 2011 (11) than the five year average (12). It was an increase over 2010 (6), but a decrease compared to the GSI average for 2007-2009.
Burglaries investigated by police have also decreased, from 25 in 2010 to 18 in 2011. The five-year average for burglary is 20 per year.
“Our crime rate is not out of line,” Lokken said.
People that stay away from the bars and strip clubs rarely have any issues.

Williston people aren't used to having so many obvious strangers (due to accents, license plates, ethnicity etc) in their midst, and that puts them on their guard.

The media loves to play up the crime story, when it is actually less than Fargo's.

A lot of journalists and newspapers hate the idea of fracking, so Williston's economic success is not something they want broadcasting without thoroughly discussing the seedy sides - so crime and stripping in Williston are always front page news by most larger city newspapers. Traffic, especially on rural roads outside Williston, is IMHO the most dangerous issue.

Last edited by fourwinds; 07-07-2013 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston