Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 PM

98 posts, read 289,295 times

Advertisements

Ok, so i'm from Las Vegas and tried finding work (still am) and i also kept in mind the whole Williston oil work...

Well i gotta call from a company for an interview in Williston for Waste Management in two weeks and by the sounds of it, it looks promising BUT!! i'm not relying on it. I have no experience in the oil industry but i have labor and mechanic background, so while i'm their i will apply for almost everything i pass by,I was told that their more comfortable hiring ppl who are there in person, than who apply online. With the money i saved which is about $2000 - $3000, i plan on booking a hotel for about two three weeks and taking the greyhound out there. i calculated my expense it came out to about $1500 according to hotel/motel prices on the websites + greyhound fair, and ill just eat whatever's on the dollar menu. Does it sound like a bad situation waiting for failure or can it be accomplished. Again its just my first idea before i get anything going

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-03-2013 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:34 PM

265 posts, read 684,968 times
I think you have the right idea and motivation. I wish I could do the same,I would do the same as you if I had the means. Good Luck and you will make it. It's great to go up there right before it gets good and cold up there. Another great move. It's a nice area and good people up there,excluding some of the Oil Workers from other areas. Just be respectful of the North Dakotan' s and you will have friends for life.Peace

Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM

thanks, I know some ppl go up there blind with no real plan so im just trying to think it through first and see if it's plausible. I have also been reading that for hiring process you need to have a place to stay meaning NOT in your car, so that's why I figured stay in a hotel for a bit. seems like an ok idea to me unless I'm missing something. and does the town have some kind of transportation system to get to and from the sites?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:49 AM

836 posts, read 1,657,261 times
Rob,

Could be a tough go without wheels but it sounds like you're motivated and that would impress if I was an employer.

I'd say consider a man camp for less costly lodging but that could make job search tougher cuz they are further away from town.

But this is still America and anything is possible; there are enough guys there in same boat or have been and if you get in somewhere I bet you'll network, learn all the best gouge and be rollin.

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 AM

Turns out hardcore application fill outs finally pays out. Gotta job offer for early january in pennsylvania fracking, with a motel setup. Just need to show up with a CDL permit and they'll take care of the licensing afterwards

Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 AM

111 posts, read 188,386 times
Good to hear you found a position. May I ask what area of Pennsylvania you'll be working in ?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeng99 View Post
Good to hear you found a position. May I ask what area of Pennsylvania you'll be working in ?
Washington county i believe, the guy that got me in said their not only limited to Pennsylvania sometimes his crew will move to different states, which i didn't expect being that i have a family and thought i could move them close to me after awhile but oh well we'll have to tough it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: