Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 PM

20 posts, read 46,450 times

Advertisements

Im leaving from Ga to come north to work because I've heard of the opportunities up there from a couple of people who are already there. Ive seen a couple posts mentioning they aren't hiring as much anymore and some contradicting that. Ive put in apps already at plenty places and have been told the same thing" soon as you get here contact us". So I'm guessing folks are still hiring like crazy, i just want insight from people who are already there. And also my brother has a fraud felony and wanted to come with, are any jobs there for non violent felons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,588 times
You may be setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

Please read the other posts in this forum.

I highly recommend going to one of the other hiring spots that is not in the extreme cold and extremely expensive Bakken area.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:16 PM

like texas?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:41 AM

98 posts, read 289,701 times
I kinda don't understand either... I was there a little over a month ago n it seemed like EVERYONE was hiring... they mostly prefer residents from the vibe of it... easy fix find housing first get state ID.. if u can find housing I mean... I got offered a job up there but now I'm debating on getting my CDL first because even MORE REFERRALS told me to... so yeah I'm kinda confused on some of the threads here as well because last I check their were two things going on... Being friggin cold and places hiring.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
it is very typical for company's to cycle that way. Its all about the oil. A well can start and require hundreds of loadss of sand, water, etc... Where support company's had no contracts and nothing last week, this week they need 60 people.

The Bakken is not like the jobs at WalMart back home. it is not like a company starts up and has to have 60 employees, every day, from now on. They cycle on and off, quickly.

A neighbor of mine owns a trucking company and has about 50 trucks. He has a shop in Watford and sends drivers up from here. His shop may need only two drivers for the next 3 weeks, and then he needs 30 drivers for a couple weeks, and then down to 10 drivers.

He can cycle his drivers from here and just pay them a bonus for being away from home. Not every company can afford that luxury. Some company's will actually fold because they are not dynamic enough or flexible enough to exist in the oilfield.

Weather has a big effect on things too.

It is not like the retail market back home. Companies that are hiring like crazy on Monday, may not need anybody by Wednesday. Another company that is not hiring on Monday, may get a contract on Tuesday and need to bring on 30 employees by the end of the week. That's why people on here say, to keep hitting and checking on these company's and see if they are hiring. Don't just give them a resume and wait by the phone. Give them a resume and then walk in and talk to them every few days. Things change and you had better be dynamic enough to change with them.

If you walk in and talk to them in person, they know you are there and have a place to stay. They are not going to offer you a job in the hopes that you will move there and find a place to stay. It would be kind of stupid to plan on you, only to find that you don't have a place to stay and can't commit at the last minute. That's not the way to run a business.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-09-2014 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Can't spel

Old 02-08-2014, 09:36 AM

hmmm thanks for all the feedback i just want the honest answer on the hiring and what not because i see its slow then i see its not but i will make a decision on ND or Texas really soon

Old 02-08-2014, 03:28 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJ0 View Post
hmmm thanks for all the feedback i just want the honest answer on the hiring and what not because i see its slow then i see its not but i will make a decision on ND or Texas really soon
I'm sure you have read all the threads here, but if you haven't, I'd suggest you browse through some, even back a page or two into the old ones. Last year, about this time, there was a slow down for inexperienced people, but if you had a degree, even in horticulture, as long as it was a degree, you could take your pick of where to work. They had over extended themselves on hiring warm bodies and had absolutely nobody to place in management positions. Every company had a ratio of xx% of no experience, xx% of management (degreed) to run offices, and xx% of experienced. They filled no experience but needed people for the other positions. Every employer shut down and wasn't hiring anybody. Several people, here on City Data, admitted that they took a job, working temp help, enough to get a room and a few packs of ramen noodles and waited it out. It lasted a couple weeks for some companies, and yet a couple months for other companies.

So don't get discouraged. if you can find a place to stay, or live, and even work at WalMart, it doesn't take long to wait them out. Some people took jobs as roustabouts with low pay, and just used it to look at the other companies and see what they wanted to do when they grew up. It worked. 3-4 weeks later they had a job they really wanted.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 PM

as long as the pay is 17 or greater I'm fine with work. My friend up there told me to come up there and just go around filling out apps and I'm guaranteed a job somewhere around.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Personally, it may be a mistake just to take or reject a job based on initial per hour wage. You might have to accept something a bit lower, but it may be worth it if pay goes up after a short breaking in period. This goes for any type job, retail or oil work.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,588 times
Please check the hotel prices and figure out how much it would cost for you to live a month or more before getting hired and a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: